Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creationist Ham appearing at Cork + UCD

Options
  • 10-02-2005 12:38pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi -

The creationist Ken Ham of http://www.answersingenesis.org will be appearing at UCD's Astra Hall on Friday 4th and Saturday 5th of March -- see the flyer + promotional material at:

http://www.creation.ie/kendublin.htm

He's also appearing at the appropriately named Moran Hotel in Cork (aka the Silversprings), on the 3rd.

Who's on for heading up to see what this guy's up to?

- robin.

BTW, I picked up two flyers for these events which had been taped to the wall in the Gents at the back of the Buttery Bar in Trinity College last night. These pesky creationists get everywhere, don't they?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Turley

robindch wrote:
    Who's on for heading up to see what this guy's up to?

A better question might be who is funding the operation? Ken Ham is in the opinion shaping business. His bio states that he is an "in demand" speaker in a country where information is controlled. It would be interesting to know if Mr. Ham or his parents had a background in military intelligence. His biography lists a teaching degree but most teachers do not take a career path founding organizations with names like "Creative Science Foundation" or "Institute for Creation Research." That is an unusual way support a wife and five children. We might wonder who funds such Institutes and Foundations.

Ham affirms more than a belief in creation. He affirms the war in Iraq, U.S. elections, 9/11-hijackers, and the American "free press." In reality he may be a poor spokesperson for creation.

Why is Ken Ham asking us to choose between evolution and creation? Why not affirm both?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Why is Ken Ham asking us to choose between evolution and creation? Why not affirm both?

Because wrong as these people are, they are at least honest in their beliefs.

One could I suppose invent a religion where God creates the big bang and leaves it go from there, or God creates the first spark of life on the planet and lets it go from there but these are not compatible with Genesis.

- Evolution poses serious problems for a human soul. 1 (or 2) people must have been given a soul that their parents didn't have. Unless everything that ever lived has a soul (again not in the Christian belief).

Basically, if Evolution is true, then an important part of the bible is wrong. If one part of the bible is wrong then in calls into question all of the bible.

None of this in any way has anything to do with the existence or otherwise of God. Evolution in no way 'proves God doesn't exists' - whether God exists is a fairly pointless debate.

A far more intesting debate is with the organised God-botherers who claim to 'Know the Mind of God'. These people in their organised religions believe they have books (and instructions) from God, telling them (and others!) how to behave, how to pray, what God likes and what he doesn't.

Evolution pretty much kills Christianity as a claim to know the mind of God. Now you (or anyone) can invent a new God, a new set of rules, rituals and beliefs that are more compatible with observed scientific fact - but remember you are just making it up as you go along!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> they are at least honest in their beliefs.

No, they are not; the beliefs may be firmly held, but they are most certainly not honest in their source. Have you ever listened to any baying, trumpeting creationist, decrying the atheism of evolution and science (sorry?), damning the educated people who propagate either and spout endless crap about topics in which their level of knowledge is sub-zero?

Creationists are disingenuous and ignorant concerning the manner and substance of their beliefs -- see almost any creationist text, or indeed, any skeptical reviews of any creationist texts.

> If one part of the bible is wrong then in calls into
    > question all of the bible.

Any critical, rather than credulous, analysis of the bible casts severe doubts upon the entire enterprise of any organized religion which uses the bible as a logical base. The bible is a thoroughly inconsistent set of texts from which one can pluck sentences, or clauses, more or less at random, to justify just about any pleasant or unpleasant human behaviour -- see http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com for a taste.

> you are just making it up as you go along!

This is standard practice in the realms of religion, in the few enough cases, of course, where believers don't simply accept what's handed to them on a (collection) plate by their local holymen + spook merchants.

- robin.

pH wrote:
    One could I suppose invent a religion where God creates the big bang and leaves it go from there, or God creates the first spark of life on the planet and lets it go from there but these are not compatible with Genesis.
    I don't see the incompatibility with Genesis. A Creator that allows for evolution seems reasonable. The point of Genesis is a Creator, not a Supreme being with a watch or a calendar to know what day it is.
    Affirming both a Creator and evolution seems to be s fair solution.

robindch wrote:
    The bible is a thoroughly inconsistent set of texts from which one can pluck sentences, or clauses, more or less at random, to justify just about any pleasant or unpleasant human behaviour
    In a way you are correct, as a man may argue in favor of war as in "an eye for and eye" but Jesus said no to that and said "turn the other cheek."

Still another man may argue that when Christ was struck by the guard of the high priest he did not turn his other cheek, therefore war is still justified.

Yet still another man my argue that Christ did more than turn his other cheek, he surrendered his whole body over to be crucified.

Men have used scripture to justify everything from slavery to murder but the fault may be with men and not the scripture.

Christ was either a fool, a liar, or who he said he was.

• Advertisement

> who funds such Institutes and Foundations.

I understand from sources close to Dr Ham's institution(*), that he expects around 800 euro per day for engagements in Europe -- expressed as gifts, mind you, never fees, possibly 'coz fees might be taxable and a gift to god in the US isn't a taxable commodity, no doubt on account of the difficulty of prosecuting god in the event of non-payment.

Your local friendly skeptic understands also that events within the US mainland command a much higher fee which has yet to be confirmed, though we're working on determining this too (hi there ken, if you're watching!). Some indication of the outlay can be had from Ham's events page which quotes a rate of $4,000 - $6,000 for the kickoff costs of what it calls 'Mega Family Conferences' (printing not included) for what looks like eight to ten hours of high-voltage creationism.

Then multiply these costs by the number of events listed in the events listing page (an average of 4.5 events per day at the time of writing) and you might reach some understanding of how much financial clout this guy can bring to the tricky problem of how to damn people far wiser than him.

Seems too that god needs a truckload of cash to stay in business.

- robin.

(*) - these pesky skeptics get everywhere, don't we?

> Men have used scripture to justify everything from slavery to murder but the fault may be with men and not the scripture.

Or the fault may lie with a proposed god who was unable to get his scribblers to write a coherent book even if the world depended upon it, as it tried to do for 2,000-odd years. Can't say that I think much of an self-professedly omnipotent god who (a) felt it necessary to plagiarize Plato wholesale, except for the intelligent and ironic bits (see particularly The Meno), so missing what Plato actually *meant* and (b) has his adherents believe that he was the ultimate source for around 800,000 words of mostly extraordinarily dull and turgid text containing hardly a sentence upon which any two adherents agree, in the lot.

> Christ was either a fool, a liar, or who he said he was.

A fine example of a disjunctive affirmation. Amongst many other options, JC could also just have been a regular guy unfortunate enough to get himself killed in the right place, at the right time, around the period of the apex of the Roman Empire, whose death managed to coruscate his friends to such an extent that they spent the rest of their lives and energies propagating JC's memes, or at least, what they thought they were (for extra marks, compare + contrast with the hirsute Sai Baba). Have a poke through Gibbon's extraordinary Chapter XV (et seq.) for further details.

- robin.

robindch wrote:
    Can't say that I think much of an self-professedly omnipotent god

You may be right or you may be wrong.

It matters little if we are right or wrong about issues like Uri Geller, men on the moon, Forrestal' "poem", chiropractors, and hypnotism. We can even be wrong about atheism and what difference does it make?

But to be wrong about God could have serious long term implications. If I was going to choose to believe in anything, including: the holocaust, Derren Brown, Dr. Ham, atheism, men on the moon, hypnotism, Forrestal's poem, 19 terrorist hijakers, George Bush, the Labor party, or God. I think belief in God is the only safe bet. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain.

People find sillier things to believe in, including themselves. What do you believe Robin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Remember the topic: "Creationist Ham"

(mmm....ham....)

> I think belief in God is the only safe bet.

No doubt you do -- the simplistic verities and circular arguments which religion provides have indeed evolved to appeal to a wide section of humanity, otherwise they wouldn't have propagated. Take a look, for example, at the evolution of creationism itself over the last while, which in many of its more recent and less extreme and more successful manifestations has taken to aping (!) at a very superficial level, some of the forms and language of science, in the expectation that a faintly more scientifically literate populace will be conned by it, as indeed they are, in great number.

- robin.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote:
    a faintly more scientifically literate populace will be conned by it, as indeed they are, in great number.
    Apparently people are conned by many things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Turley wrote:
    You may be right or you may be wrong.
    But to be wrong about God could have serious long term implications... ...I think belief in God is the only safe bet. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    Oooo, anyone up for a critique of Pascals Wager?

> anyone up for a critique of Pascals Wager?

Pascal biggest mistook in this hoary old chestnut was in applying non-evidence-based beliefs to real-world decision policies; similar means of determination have given us, for example, the Iraq War. The pointlessness of arguing from belief is easier to see if you replace 'god' with something 'there is a mind-control satellite floating over my head', and go on to conclude that a tinfoil hat is a useful fashion accessory. At a game-theoretical level, the logic and conclusion are both fine, but the premises, upon which the conclusion is based, smell to the highest vaults of heaven (should such vaults exist).

So, getting back to my original question, is anybody on for going up with me to check out the redoubtable Ham deliver his fundamentalist cheese? It's €15 euro at the door and, should god exist as claimed, Pascal tells us that it'll be €15 well spent.

- robin.

robindch wrote:
    Pascal biggest mistook in this hoary old chestnut was in applying non-evidence-based beliefs to real-world decision policies; similar means of determination have given us, for example, the Iraq War.
    I would not pay €15 euro to hear Dr. Ham. His views are online and confronting him among his followers will not make any difference.

Non-evidence-based beliefs begot the Iraq War and the big bang theory.

> confronting him among his followers will not make any difference.

It would be excessively brave of me to confront a religious moron on home turf, surrounded by up to 599 braying idiots, all standing, eyes closed, swaying, arms in the air, undergoing the toronto 'blessing', speaking in tongues, and all the rest of it -- I'm just going along to enjoy the show. These religious jamborees are usually great fun, a bit like modern-day Nuremberg Rallies, and remind me, more than anything else, how useful a working brain is, by seeing what banalities one could be reduced to in the absence of one.

BTW, folks, I'm actually being serious here. If you've never seen one of these fruitcake crowds zinged up on god, adrenaline and the lash, I do strongly recommend that you make the effort and pop along, even only for one or two 'talks'; a pass for the five is slightly cheaper than four beers, almost as entertaining, and frightfully more educational. Here's that link again:

http://www.creation.ie/kendublin.htm

> Non-evidence-based beliefs begot [...] the big bang theory.

I think you possibly mean 'begat', but regardless, perhaps you'd care to expand upon this? I hadn't realised that, in addition to your memorable expertises in hand-writing analysis and space-exploration, that you also do subatomic physics and I do look forward with much interest to what you have to offer upon the topic. Feel free to start another thread, if you feel we're moving away from creationism.

- robin.

robindch wrote:
    I think you possibly mean 'begat', but regardless, perhaps you'd care to expand upon this? I hadn't realised that, in addition to your memorable expertises in hand-writing analysis and space-exploration, that you also do subatomic physics...
    I am not an expert in handwriting, space exploration, or subatomic physics. I am not an expert at anything. You are the cocksure expert here.
    I meant 'begot.'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

maybe it's just me.. but if it wasn't for the obvious snideness in certain posts, and the fact that they were the only two posting.. I wouldn't have known turley and robin were arguing..

to me, they both seemed to be agreeing over alot of points..

maybe I read this **** wrong..

> I am not an expert in handwriting

In your previous postings, you did declare that the consensus view upon the suicide notes was wrong, which implies that you believe that you are more knowledgable about the notes, than the people who had access to them. Within standard judicial practice, this makes you an 'expert' in front of a court, which, in a certain sense, is where we both find ourselves. Likewise with the moon-hoax thread, in which you declared that all the consensual views concerning man's visits to the moon were moonshine, setting yourself up as an expert again.

However, it's very rare that anybody outside the small-enough world of physicists bothers to learn enough to be able to express an opinion worth hearing and, as I said, I'd love to hear any that might be on offer here, though I think they're more relevant to a new thread.

> I meant 'begot.'.

I checked this one after posting and it turns out that we're both right -- the KJV exclusively uses 'begat' (what I'm familar with), while the more modern translations of the bible use 'begot', and I thought you were being intentionally archaic, but just misspelling it. 'pologies about this -- I was wrong to suggest that this might have been a misspelling.

- robin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

robindch wrote:
    So, getting back to my original question, is anybody on for going up with me to check out the redoubtable Ham deliver his fundamentalist cheese? It's €15 euro at the door...
    Can't quite bring myself to donate €15 to the cause. Though it probably would be an eye-opener. A year ago, I would have said there was hardly a person in this country that subscribed to Creationism (among the Irish Catholic population anyway). But a few of them stood up to be counted at the ISS lecture on the topic. It would be quite dispiriting to see a whole hall full of them.

> Can't quite bring myself to donate €15 to the cause.

Am having difficulty justifying it myself, but as he may well be having to pay for the hall, probably a hotel, flights and the rest and therefore contributing to the world's economy in a positive way, I am fondly, if rather optimistically, hoping that the cash won't end up funding some odious venture such as his $25 million creation museum. BTW, you can buy some pretty kookie books there, for example, a leather-bound limited edition of our old friend Ussher's 'Annals of the World', the on-again/off-again 'Arguments Creationists Should NOT Use', and my own personal favorite, 'Alien Intrusion: UFOs and the Evolution Connection', a book which uncovers the "'intergalactic' battle over the history of life in the universe" and claims that the UFO community themselves are involved in a cover-up -- the conspiracy theorists themselves accused of conspiracies -- way cool, guys!)

BTW, Ham turned up this week on the BBC news website, pursuant to a school in Pennsylvania voting to teach biblically-mandated biology alongside modern biology. See the local school's announcement which concludes with the disgracefully disingenuous phrase '[...]religion is neither inhibited nor promoted.'.

> Though it probably would be an eye-opener

As I said earlier, if you've not been to one of these gatherings before, it's worth going along to see what we're up against, the better to know how to counter its slack-jawed, facile appeal.

> I would have said there was hardly a person in this
    > country that subscribed to Creationism (among the
    > Irish Catholic population anyway).

In my experience, it's confined exclusively to the charismatic/evangelical outlets in the country and hasn't yet begun to infect the catholic religious in any degree. However, I suspect that at least half of that, and probably far more, is the usual rejection by one religious group of the fiercely-held tenets of another; as fine a field-example of Freud's 'narcissism of minor difference' as any non-lethal one I can think of.

> It would be quite dispiriting to see a whole hall full of them.

They've rented a hall which apparently seats 600 and as they're having five talks and, no doubt, linked to the local evangelicals, I imagine they've done their homework and are expecting around this number. Anyhow, if a thoroughly wet spoilsport like Randi can gather 400-odd for an evening of fresh air in Ballsbridge, I can't imagine that a mutton-chopped, raving bible-thumper is going to have much trouble getting together 800 to breathe in his own sulphurous fumings.

Go along, even if only to value your skepticism.

- robin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

robindch wrote:
    In your previous postings, you did declare that the consensus view upon the suicide notes was wrong,
    I believe the tally for the evidence was, 2 for/2 against, 1 undecided and 1 no-comment. Within standard judicial practice a statment of "consensus" would come from the foreman of the jury.
    robindch wrote:
    Within standard judicial practice, this makes you an 'expert' in front of a court, which, in a certain sense, is where we both find ourselves.
    By stating your own personal experieance with divergant handwriting you placed yourself in the position of "expert witness" on the evidence presented.
    Testimony you seemed to regard as being bulletproof in later posts.
    robindch wrote:
    Likewise with the moon-hoax thread, in which you declared that all the consensual views concerning man's visits to the moon were moonshine, setting yourself up as an expert again.
    Anyone can make declarations. Your first reply in that thread was an attempt to match these up to, in my opinion, dubious documents on human behavior.

An analyst of character?

You also seem to be implying that there is a noticable trend in past behaviour that you wish to bring to the courts attention.(constantly:rolleyes:)

A character witness?

Seeing as the reference documents only seem to contain basic outlines of extreme human behavior, the only available conclusions from such documents would be ultimatly negative to any individual being judged by them.

So what we have here in the court is...A Judge of character who only studys negative characters.
    A prosecuter that can morph into a ëxpert witness in order to get around evidence.
    And finally. The foreman of the jury who when asked to swear-in on the Bible tried to set it on fire.

davros wrote:
    A year ago, I would have said there was hardly a person in this country that subscribed to Creationism (among the Irish Catholic population anyway). But a few of them stood up to be counted at the ISS lecture on the topic. It would be quite dispiriting to see a whole hall full of them.
    I am not a fan of Dr. Ham and I will not spend €15 to atend his event.

My view is the doctrine that ascribes the origin of matter and life to acts of creation by God is not nearly as dispiriting as the alternative. If science supports that there is evolution, I don't see a problem with a creator and evolution co-existing. There is no need for choosing one over the other.

robindch wrote:
    In your previous postings, you did declare that the consensus view upon the suicide notes was wrong, which implies that you believe that you are more knowledgable about the notes, than the people who had access to them.
    I remember meeting Reginald Alton and I heard him lecture. We had lunch once and he told me about palaeography. He showed me a forgery of a letter by Shelley. Reggie died a little more than one year ago. http://education.guardian.co.uk/obituary/story/0,12212,1108695,00.html
    Regardless of what you think, I know I am not a handwiting expert. I only knew an expert. I also know it does not take an expert when handwriting does not even remotely resemble a forgery.

"The people who had access" to something that was concealed for 55 years? We are the people.

> My view is the doctrine that ascribes the origin of matter
    > and life to acts of creation by God is not nearly as dispiriting
    > as the alternative.

You've expressed what I belive is creationism's (and more generally, religion's) core motivation very well with this sentence, simply a belief that there's something out there that gives a human a reason to exist. It seems to me, however, that most people haven't even noticed, much less considered, the more basic question of whether to seek such a reason is a meaningful activity, or can give rise to a meaningful answer, if one feels that one is found. It's Pascal's wager again, morphed slightly.

- robin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭john kavanagh

i'll be going along to the UCD talks - might see some of you guys there?

> i'll be going along to the UCD talks - might see some of you guys there?

You might, but then again, you might not -- I and whoever of my soon-to-be-(un?)lucky friends will be heading up there incognito, reason and common sense trussed up christmas turkeys. Yiz're more likely to see us undressed at the next skeptics talk on April 6th -- see http://www.irishskeptics.net :D

Praise the Holy Lord -- Ayyyyyy....MEN!

- robin (waving hands in air, eyes closed, simplicity etched on face)

robindch wrote:
    Praise the Holy Lord -- Ayyyyyy....MEN!

- robin (waving hands in air, eyes closed, simplicity etched on face)
    I do not agree with the teachings of Dr. Ham. People can disagree.

Ridiculing the religious beliefs of people, be it Judaism, Shintoism, or Christianity is contemptuous in any case. The posted rules for discussion do not rule out religious bigotry per se, but the moderator is responsible.

It was fitting that Christ should be crucified with the thieves. "The cross itself," St. Augustine wrote, "was a tribunal. In the center was the judge. To the one side a man who believed and was set free, to the other side a scoffer and he was condemned."

Christians intend to meet God. Atheists intend not to meet God.
    May they all succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Turley wrote:
    Christians intend to meet God. Atheists intend not to meet God.
    Hey, it's a new form of Pascal's wager. This way the Christian might be right and they might be wrong. But the Aheist will always be right! Unless of course there is a God and he/she has a strange sense of humour and the Atheist is admitted to heaven anyway, whereby the atheist wins again! :-)

> > - robin (waving hands in air, eyes closed, simplicity etched on face)
    >
    > Ridiculing the religious beliefs of people [...] is contemptuous [...]

I always rather liked Ambrose Bierce's definition of a cynic, taken from his notoriously witty and devious Devil's Dictionary:

A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.

The dictionary, originally titled 'The Cynic's Word Book', is a classic and widely available on the internet (try here for starters) and last Friday, there were copies in Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street, discounted down to an easily-justified €4.50 -- Fools!, Rush in where Angels fear to tread!

Enjoy :)

- robin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

I used to be skeptical - now I question everything - including the beliefs of other skeptics!!

I think that I will be a true skeptic and go along and LISTEN respectfully to Ken Ham before making my OWN MIND UP about what he has to say.

I recently discovered that the odds of producing the amino acid sequence for a particular 100 chain protein by accident choosing from the 20 common amino acids at each point on the chain is 10 to the power of minus 130. If we consider that the number of atoms in the known Universe (including Dark Matter) is 10 to the power of 80 I don't fancy the chances of even a useful protein arising spontaneously - never mind life!!!

I haven't seen any life arising spontaneously recently - Have any of you?

I would value your skeptical opinion on the above mathemastical calculation.

I would be even more interested in YOUR explanation for the spontaneous emergence of life - that doesn't involve pure fantasy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement