Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying WindowsXP

Options
  • 30-09-2004 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Lew

Just wondering - are the prices for Windows XP fixed, or are there some companys selling them at decent prices. I came across https://www.windowsxpprooem.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html - but dont know much about that site to give it the CC number.

This all ties into my "to buy or not to buy" thread btw....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

bump_miloflorence.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how much is it on their site? i can't open the link it seems to be down.

this isthis is where i got mine

62 pounds for home
    101 pounds for pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

or go to pc world :D !

my local are still selling pro for £260....muppets

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lew

Just wondering - are the prices for Windows XP fixed, or are there some companys selling them at decent prices. I came across https://www.windowsxpprooem.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html - but dont know much about that site to give it the CC number.

This all ties into my "to buy or not to buy" thread btw....
    Yes the prices for windows are Fixed cf. monopoly

Microsoft owe their position as the worlds biggerst SW supplier more to sharp (read illegal) marketing practices than to quality control or innovation (read buying companies that have desired technology).

Linux is Free.

Windows OEM can't be moved to another machine later. AFAIK you can no longer save on the full retail cost of any microsoft product by upgrading.

Decide what features you really need in an OS and see what is missing in your existing OS, there are many addons for windows. Next remember that upgrading rarely fixed serious problems with settings so you are always better off doing a clean install , and that is a right royal pain.

Ty for that Cremo - the site I had linked had XP at about 70 sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gone, that site is well dodgy. They're trying to use someone else's security certificate to authtenticate their secure connection.

There's no way in hell I'd give my dog's name to that site, let alone my Credit Card number.

It also seems to be down now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

whats this about BUYING an operating system? I was under the impression u got them from a friend with a copied install disk who got that from a friend with a copied install disk repeat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

whats this about BUYING an operating system? I was under the impression u got them from a friend with a copied install disk who got that from a friend with a copied install disk repeat.

What if you have no frineds like GS? ;)

I think everyone has to know someone that has the illigal cracked version but we wouldn't condone anyone using it and doing poor microsoft out of their well earned money. :rolleyes:

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

I'm sure the copies are everywhere, like 50/50 or maybe even more people uses copies rather then buying it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Try BIL . XP Home OEM+SP" works out €115 inc vat and delivery as well as the fact that their an Irish company. I ordered one last week and it arrived 3 days later.

nice one Ding - good site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

whats this about BUYING an operating system?
    You never buy Windows. You buy a licence to use it. That means that Micro$oft have control over it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

whats this about BUYING an operating system? I was under the impression u got them from a friend with a copied install disk who got that from a friend with a copied install disk repeat. :)

yeah buying an os are you mad?

Not mad - just not a (complete) warez monkey

Advertisement