Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

0 post members

Options
  • 03-10-2004 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Couldn't you clean out the database by deleting all of the people who have 0 posts, 0 pm's etc etc that haven't used the board in the last 3 months? It would (presumably) make the site a little faster and would give an actual proper member count.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It won't do much to make the site faster. The new server is up and running soon I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Better plan..Send everyone on 0 posts a PM. Anyone who doesn't reply in 3 weeks, remove their account. This way you won't delete the accounts of people who just lurk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Well it wouldn't really make any odds, and I think 3 weeks, or even months isn't much time, some lurkers may leave the site for a few months and then return. I suggested that idle accounts (accounts that have no posts and havent been logged in in over a year) get deleted, but in reality it wouldnt make much odds, maybe free up some nicks, but thats about it.

flogen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

There should be a gathering card for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

ecksor wrote:
    I can help you out on this if you want?? ;) *

*probably very bad timing

• Advertisement

Your timing is perfect actually, we're just migrating the backend to eckscel.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

grasshopa wrote:
    Couldn't you clean out the database by deleting all of the people who have 0 posts, 0 pm's etc etc that haven't used the board in the last 3 months? It would (presumably) make the site a little faster and would give an actual proper member count.
    Wouldn't make the site any faster. The effect is negligible compared to the actual reason why the site is going slowly.

An actual member count is tough to assume. Plenty of people log in, but don't post, they just lurk. They may also have email and PMs turned off, so any solutions, would result in actual members being deleted. On top of that, there are also plenty of people, some with thousands of posts, who are no longer using the site, and so wouldn't be members for the purposes of getting a head count, but couldn't be included in any kind of mass culling because they appear to be active.

I think the current one is fine, as it reflects the number of people who saw boards as worthwhile to bother signing up, so gives an indicator of the site's usefulness and/or popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

ecksor wrote:

My sarcasm detector seems to be glowing bright red but shere ive nothing better to do right now
    Tomb.jpg

I liked the title but the main text is pretty weak, I was dying for a reason to use the image.

Good caption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

That's rather good Nec :D

[Edit] The first one!

• Advertisement

I meant the first one too :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

seamus wrote:
    An actual member count is tough to assume. Plenty of people log in, but don't post, they just lurk. They may also have email and PMs turned off, so any solutions, would result in actual members being deleted. On top of that, there are also plenty of people, some with thousands of posts, who are no longer using the site, and so wouldn't be members for the purposes of getting a head count, but couldn't be included in any kind of mass culling because they appear to be active.

Ah, but if an inactive member was deleted, would he really ever have existed?
    (in a tree, forest, nobody to hear, kind of way)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

My sarcasm detector seems to be glowing bright red but shere ive nothing better to do right now
    Tomb.jpg

I liked the title but the main text is pretty weak, I was dying for a reason to use the image.

Perfect! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

We could get rid of Merc this way

I'm just saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Intriguing proposition indeed, sceptre. Perhaps something could be organised for Victor's post count aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moriarty wrote:
    Intriguing proposition indeed, sceptre. Perhaps something could be organised for Victor's post count aswell.
    Eh?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,285 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Burn all lurkers at the stake, I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I feel that a lot of [Members] like to read others posts and browse forums, but simply prefer not to post.

I was not aware that members were under any obligation too post, which Imho, is how it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

zaph wrote:
    Burn all lurkers at the stake, I say!

They're watching us right now... I can feel their eyes....STOP LOOKING AT ME!!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Victor wrote:
    Eh?

Uhm. Nothing. Nothing at all.

/runs away screaming into the night

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who needs an account to lurk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Having an account lets you subscribe to forums and posts.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

'n get into private forums 'n stuff.

Cool private forums, like the NerfBall forum.

Advertisement