Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVERY School to get BB this year

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

In strict numeric terms half the installs will be VSAT systems because of the sheer number of small rural schools in Ireland, particularly Primary ones.

I have already heard rumbles from INTO members about this decision. The discretionary budget in small rural primary schools is not up to the cost of hauling technicians out to fix realignment issues at €300 a visit (a 3 hour round trip for a technician in many cases) and the cost of the flight as well for some.

The INTO can be assuaged if the feedback on the first series of installs is generally positive and if they consider the proposition to be affordable.

"Additional Government funds are being invested in establishing a dedicated centrally managed schools broadband network and associated helpdesk facility for schools."

Not a 1550 number like the other main BB 'helpdesk' I hope :( .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I'm skeptical because many of the school buildings are held together with crepe paper and the childrens' art work.
    They'll probably get broadband but no financing for computers.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Muck
    In strict numeric terms half the installs will be VSAT systems because of the sheer number of small rural schools in Ireland, particularly Primary ones.
    I can't think of any reason why Group Data Schemes couldn't be the service providers to many rural schools. It would be quite straightforward to VPN a connection to the proposed central network.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ballsy target. One that could be met in the commercial sector, but I can't see Gov.ie hitting it. Either way, credit where it's due, albeit several years in arrears.

adam /the daddy
    Irish schools to get broadband
    Tuesday, February 24 2004
    by Anthony Quinn

Every primary and secondary school in the country is to be connected together and to the Internet via broadband by the end of 2005.

The telecommunications sector and government have jointly committed EUR18 million towards the roll out of broadband to all of the 4,100 primary and secondary schools in Ireland.

Additional government funds are also to be invested in establishing a centrally managed broadband network for the schools and an associated helpdesk facility.

The agreement involves a voluntary commitment of EUR15 million over a three year period by the telecommunications sector as represented by IBEC's Telecommunications and Internet Federation (TIF). The industry investment is to be augmented by a government contribution of EUR3 million.

The proposed broadband network is to link schools to a central area that will provide content filtering, virus scanning, firewall and intrusion detection services for the schools. It is hoped that the network will ultimately act as a platform for the hosting and delivery of curriculum-related digital content and applications.

[...]

• Advertisement

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    I can't think of any reason why Group Data Schemes couldn't be the service providers to many rural schools. It would be quite straightforward to VPN a connection to the proposed central network.

I agree. The expertise to fix the (any) problem is within a few miles and the hardware is cheaper too. I should email the Minister and ask him.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

In many ways, it could be the ideal opportunity to motivate local people in a community to get involved in a group data scheme. Many people may not be motivated enough to get involved as it stands but if they see it as benefiting their kids education - and into the bargain, being able to avail of broadband at home - it might just get people interested. In the majority of cases, there would already be some form of parents council in place for other school related issues and this could be leveraged to get the ball rolling on a local gds.

That said, i suppose it depends on how the dept. present it and what they have in mind. gov.ie would have to facilitate/encourage gds in this scenario.

Or maybe they will just throw out a couple of contracts - one for the BMW mileage clocking consultants and another for a co. to provide for VSAT/DSL setup and installation...wasting a bucket full of cash in the process and resulting in a half arsed solution in their own time.

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    Or maybe they will just throw out a couple of contracts - one for the BMW mileage clocking consultants and another for a co. to provide for VSAT/DSL setup and installation...wasting a bucket full of cash in the process and resulting in a half arsed solution in their own time.

Exactrly. Thats why I explained to the INTO members that they could do their Parent Teacher meetings Virtually as long as it wasn't a VSAT link......whereas their city colleagues will not have that problem.

They went off to think about that one.

M

Advertisement