Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd interview for RPT hours

Options
  • 30-05-2017 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I got hours in a school last summer and now the job is being advertised again for the coming year. Haven't done this type of interview before, assume they won't go through my CV and all that again, will they basically just ask me about how I got on in the school and what I contributed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Definitely. Mention how you contributed to the different aspects of the school and how you foresee developing your role in a second year of the school. Sell yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Treat it as a first interview again because everyone who applies will be interviewed the same. Best of luck and use your last year to form appropriate answers to the questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Secondary? You have to show the competencies. Contact your union or local education centre if you weren't up to speed on them. It came up at our branch meeting how important they are

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

What do you mean by competencies Mirrorwall ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Look at competency based interview techniques for teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I presume competency based interviews is your subject knowledge???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I haven't a clue actually, I just know that it came up at our branch meeting that some people doing these interviews had actually lost out to external candidates because they hadn't displayed all competencies required.

Some googling ETB stuff got me this, I've no idea if they are the same for all schools. We were also warned that you need to have examples ready that are different from the ones used in the application form too:

The Role and Function of the Teacher
    A number of key competencies have been identified as being essential for the effective performance of the role and function of the teacher.
    Outline an example in the following 5 areas of how and where you have displayed each of these competencies (no more than 200 words per competency)

The 5 competencies are as follows:
    1. Professional Knowledge (Comprehension of Content & Pedagogy)

Teachers should;

1.1 Know and understand the fundamental ideas, principles and structure of the disciplines they teach
    1.2 Understand the links to other content areas and be able to integrate learning across and between areas
    1.3 Know and understand and articulate a range of philosophies of learning
    1.4 Critically evaluate the range of teaching and learning theories and know how to apply them where appropriate

2. Professional Practice (Instruction & Classroom Environment, Planning & Preparation)
    Teachers should;
    2.1 Plan and communicate clear, challenging and achievable expectations for students
    2.2 Apply their knowledge and experience in facilitating students’ holistic development
    2.3 Create an environment where students’ can become active agents in the learning process and develop lifelong learning skills
    2.4 Establish a climate where learning is valued and fostered and effectively manage the range of behaviours and situations that can occur in the classroom
    2.5 Plan for learning and employ a range of strategies that support differentiated learning in a way that respects the dignity of all students
    2.6 Plan for learning and apply a range of assessment techniques both formative and summative and report on learning in a variety of contexts
    2.7 Take all reasonable steps in relation to the care of students under their supervision, so as to ensure their safety and welfare

3. Professional Development
    Teachers should;
    3.1 Take personal responsibility for their own professional development and continually reflect on their professional practice to ensure it is effective
    3.2 In a context of mutual respect, be open and responsive to constructive feedback regarding their professional practice and, if necessary, seek appropriate support, advice and guidance
    3.3 Demonstrate an openness and adaptability to respond effectively to a continually evolving education environment

4. Professional Values and Relationships
    Teachers should;
    4.1 Motivate, inspire and celebrate students’ effort and success
    4.2 Respect the uniqueness, individuality and specific needs of the students and promote their holistic approach
    4.3 Work in a collaborative manner with students, parents, school leadership, other members of staff, relevant professionals and the wider school community, as appropriate, in the interests of sharing, developing and supporting good practice and maintaining the highest quality of educational experiences for students
    4.4 Be committed to equality and inclusion and to respecting and accommodating diversity
    4.5 Uphold high professional ethics with regard to their own conduct
    4.6 Communicate effectively with students, colleagues, parents’ school management and others in the school community, in a manner that is professional, collaborative and supportive and based on trust and respect

5. Contribution to the School and Community (Extra-Curricular/Other Competencies)
    Teachers should;
    5.1 Participate in and support the work of extra-curricular programmes/activities

5.2 Have an understanding of the school context within the Education and Training Board
    5.3 Possess a capacity to support and promote wider student endeavours and overall school development

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I haven't a clue actually, I just know that it came up at our branch meeting that some people doing these interviews had actually lost out to external candidates because they hadn't displayed all competencies required.

Some googling ETB stuff got me this, I've no idea if they are the same for all schools. We were also warned that you need to have examples ready that are different from the ones used in the application form too:

A number of key competencies have been identified as being essential for the effective performance of the role and function of the teacher.
    Outline an example in the following 5 areas of how and where you have displayed each of these competencies (no more than 200 words per competency)

Teachers should;

1.1 Know and understand the fundamental ideas, principles and structure of the disciplines they teach
    1.2 Understand the links to other content areas and be able to integrate learning across and between areas
    1.4 Critically evaluate the range of teaching and learning theories and know how to apply them where appropriate

2. Professional Practice (Instruction & Classroom Environment, Planning & Preparation)
    Teachers should;
    2.1 Plan and communicate clear, challenging and achievable expectations for students
    2.2 Apply their knowledge and experience in facilitating students’ holistic development
    2.3 Create an environment where students’ can become active agents in the learning process and develop lifelong learning skills
    2.4 Establish a climate where learning is valued and fostered and effectively manage the range of behaviours and situations that can occur in the classroom
    2.5 Plan for learning and employ a range of strategies that support differentiated learning in a way that respects the dignity of all students
    2.6 Plan for learning and apply a range of assessment techniques both formative and summative and report on learning in a variety of contexts
    2.7 Take all reasonable steps in relation to the care of students under their supervision, so as to ensure their safety and welfare

Teachers should;
    3.1 Take personal responsibility for their own professional development and continually reflect on their professional practice to ensure it is effective
    3.2 In a context of mutual respect, be open and responsive to constructive feedback regarding their professional practice and, if necessary, seek appropriate support, advice and guidance
    3.3 Demonstrate an openness and adaptability to respond effectively to a continually evolving education environment

Teachers should;
    4.2 Respect the uniqueness, individuality and specific needs of the students and promote their holistic approach
    4.3 Work in a collaborative manner with students, parents, school leadership, other members of staff, relevant professionals and the wider school community, as appropriate, in the interests of sharing, developing and supporting good practice and maintaining the highest quality of educational experiences for students
    4.4 Be committed to equality and inclusion and to respecting and accommodating diversity
    4.6 Communicate effectively with students, colleagues, parents’ school management and others in the school community, in a manner that is professional, collaborative and supportive and based on trust and respect

5. Contribution to the School and Community (Extra-Curricular/Other Competencies)
    Teachers should;
    5.1 Participate in and support the work of extra-curricular programmes/activities

5.2 Have an understanding of the school context within the Education and Training Board
    5.3 Possess a capacity to support and promote wider student endeavours and overall school development

Thanks for that mirrorwall. That list is how any interview I have ever attended has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

You should have a good idea if your in the running before you even enter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Teachers should;

Teachers should;

Teachers should;

Teachers should;

Teachers should;

That is useful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Shaz_b196

1.3 Know and understand and articulate a range of philosophies of learning?

Not sure about this!

Would it be correct to state that I utilise a constuctivist approach to learning by placing the students at the center of the learning experience, then provide an example that demonstrates this.

Teaching and Learning theories?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated (NQT) :)

Advertisement