Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line to Bray

Options
  • 22-05-2017 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I was on the train to Bray from Dublin the other day and couldn't help noticing the remains of a platform between Killiney and Bray, as if there used to be a station there once. It was near a golf course, maybe it had something to do with that but I've been unable to find any information on any such old stations on the line, other than Obelisk Hill and wondered if anyone knows anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Woodbrook Halt - private stop to serve the nearby Woodbrook Estate of Sir Stanley Cochrane. Was last used by an inspection car to bring VIPs to a golf tournament back in the 1970s.

From Wiki:

Woodbrook Halt (1910), which served the cricket ground on Sir Stanley Cochrane's estate. The Woodbrook Golf Club and Cricket Grounds later used this halt between 1920 and 1960. In October 2015, it was proposed to reopen Woodbrook as a station on the DART line between Shankill and Bray. In March 2017, it was announced that Woodbrook station will eventually be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

If I remember correctly, in the 1960s and perhaps early 70s, regular trains as well as specials used stop at Woodbrook for major tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Jaysus lads, that's Shankil!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

It makes perfect sense as a stop, there is a huge middle class area around there it would be good to encourage to get out of their cars, many of them park and ride to Bray or Shankill now anyway so it will be a huge lift for them to have a DART station.

Well it won't be on the original site as there has no road access and it's in the middle of the golf course. I doubt whether the expense of a new pair of platforms - and lifts - would be justified anyway. Much better to spend the money - if there is any - on reopening places like Avoca and Ferns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Well it won't be on the original site as there has no road access and it's in the middle of the golf course. I doubt whether the expense of a new pair of platforms - and lifts - would be justified anyway. Much better to spend the money - if there is any - on reopening places like Avoca and Ferns.

Ferns and Avoca are tiny places - I'd imagine anyone wanting to use the train from there already drives to Gorey and Rathdrum respectively.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Ferns and Avoca are tiny places - I'd imagine anyone wanting to use the train from there already drives to Gorey and Rathdrum respectively.

How about somebody e.g. a visitor/hill walker etc. who doesn't have a car and who wants to visit either place. Your argument makes no sense. Why not get rid of the train altogether if you're going to have it travelling through places without stopping? Even Bus Eireann don't take you non-stop through Camolin and such places and expect you to get back there by car from the next stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Del.Monte wrote: »
    How about somebody e.g. a visitor/hill walker etc. who doesn't have a car and who wants to visit either place. Your argument makes no sense. Why not get rid of the train altogether if you're going to have it travelling through places without stopping? Even Bus Eireann don't take you non-stop through Camolin and such places and expect you to get back there by car from the next stop.

It also doesn't stop in Newcastle, Rathnew, Glenealy, Woodenbridge and a load of other small villages. New train stations cost millions to build - a bit different to dropping a bus stop pole at the side of the road. It's only worth doing if it's going to add substantial numbers of extra passengers, which I doubt. You're also slowing down the service for every other user. How many people would use the Dublin Cork train if it stopped in every 2-bit hamlet in between.

It also doesn't stop in Newcastle, Rathnew, Glenealy, Woodenbridge and a load of other small villages. New train stations cost millions to build - a bit different to dropping a bus stop pole at the side of the road. It's only worth doing if it's going to add substantial numbers of extra passengers, which I doubt. You're also slowing down the service for every other user. How many people would use the Dublin Cork train if it stopped in every 2-bit hamlet in between.

Newcastle station is about two miles from the village and is not on any visitor bucket list; Rathnew is virtually in Wicklow and there's nothing much in Glenealy; Woodenbridge would be worth reopening as a request stop. Millions do not need to be spent on reopenings - that is an Irish/CIE disease and cheaper alternatives such as simple platforms/SDO on trains and so on need to be investigated. As it is the Rosslare train crawls along and stopping in a few additional places would have little affect on the overall journey time while possibly boosting carryings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Ferns and Avoca are tiny places.

A few years ago, Avoca was a very popular place for visitors, during it's fame as Ballykissangel. combined with small commuter numbers it could have justified stopping at least some trains.

What the DSER line needs is more local trains, say a two car 2700 or 2800 set running Dublin - Arklow or Gorey and back each morning and afternoon, offpeak, providing an improved service for Wicklow,Rathdrum and Arklow, as well as a limited service to Kilcoole, Avoca and Woodenbridge.

With commonsense, this could be achieved with modest expenditure. Excessive bureaucracy is what ruins initiative.

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, in the 1960s and perhaps early 70s, regular trains as well as specials used stop at Woodbrook for major tournaments.

Came across this on eBay tonight.

Woodbrook%2BFlyer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭xper

Also visible between Killiney and Bray is the embankment of the old alignment that used to continue closer to the beach south of Killiney and the overgrown Shanganagh Junction area where the Harcourt Street line joined just south of Shankill. The new Shanganagh DART station will be located at the southern end of this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I find it surprising that today, even after all the house building that's gone on over the years, that the route of the line through Shankill and on the other side of the N11 is so obvious when looking at aerial photographs of the area.

Advertisement