Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf Spy - Find me an ELM327 that works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I bought the one in the Adverts link and it works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I heard so many reports of flakey and inconsistent ELM327 devices that I went for an OBDLink LX instead: http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

Not cheap but it's a good quality product, faster than other devices, and comes with a 3 year warranty. Haven't used with Leaf Spy (don't have a Leaf) but it is supported, and works fine with Torque for me on an Android phone. £63 on Amazon UK.

It should show you the version of the detected bluetooth dongle in leafspy. Should be V1.5.

On the main screen where it shows you the tyre pressure and battery temp, gids etc. Should show up on the bottom of the screen where it shows the date, it should cycle between the date and version of bluetooth dongle, if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I heard so many reports of flakey and inconsistent ELM327 devices that I went for an OBDLink LX instead: http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

Not cheap but it's a good quality product, faster than other devices, and comes with a 3 year warranty. Haven't used with Leaf Spy (don't have a Leaf) but it is supported, and works fine with Torque for me on an Android phone. £63 on Amazon UK.

Have just ordered this from Amo, leaf not due till next week so will let folk know what its like.
    If it arrives early can try on the other cars anyway

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Okay, have the Leaf car and the OBDLink LX

Can't download the App on the android phone.... not going onto the site.

Have removed the cover over the ODC socket and wonder, do you leave the dongle in all the time or just occasionally as the
    cover won't go back on with it in and if I leave it in there is danger of it being hit by s leg/knee?
    It is a bit too soon to cut a hole in the access panel!
    Thanks

Okay, have the Leaf car and the OBDLink LX

Can't download the App on the android phone.... not going onto the site.

Have removed the cover over the ODC socket and wonder, do you leave the dongle in all the time or just occasionally as the
    cover won't go back on with it in and if I leave it in there is danger of it being hit by s leg/knee?
    It is a bit too soon to cut a hole in the access panel!
    Thanks

Depends on what you bought. Some of them are long and could be hit with your legs.

I leave mine in as it only sticks out a little bit but the cover doesnt go back on.

KCross wrote: »
    Depends on what you bought. Some of them are long and could be hit with your legs.

I leave mine in as it only sticks out a little bit but the cover doesnt go back on.

I knew it was a bit longer than what you have so its not that big a surprise
    Thanks , will go to a breakers yard and look for a spare cover that I can gunter.

I knew it was a bit longer than what you have so its not that big a surprise
    Thanks , will go to a breakers yard and look for a spare cover that I can gunter.

I only look at LeafSpy occasionally. I dont know if its worth the bother of getting a different cover for it. Just plug it in and out when you need it.

I only look at LeafSpy occasionally. I dont know if its worth the bother of getting a different cover for it. Just plug it in and out when you need it.

Just downloaded the free Leaf Spy just two screens ?
    Also does it only work when "ignition" in car is switched on, but not when car is ready to move?

• Advertisement

Just downloaded the free Leaf Spy just two screens ?
    Also does it only work when "ignition" in car is switched on, but not when car is ready to move?

There are 4 or 5 screens of data. Maybe there is a Leafspy lite and a LeafSpy pro? I cant remember now but I definitely have Pro.

Yes, I think it only works when ignition on (i.e. when OBDII port has power).

There are 4 or 5 screens of data. Maybe there is a Leafspy lite and a LeafSpy pro? I cant remember now but I definitely have Pro.

Yes, I think it only works when ignition on (i.e. when OBDII port has power).

Thanks
    Yep its the Lite version, have amended the post above.
    They say to ensure it works before buying either the
    Leaf Spy....... for 12.50 or the
    Leaf Spy Pro for 16.50

From the Scan Net forum
    " Hi Calahonda,

My name is Joey Novak. I work at scantool.net and also drive a Leaf (2013). I am super envious of your 30kwh post 2015 battery :)

Anyways.... The obdlink app doesn't work on my leaf either nor does it work on any fully Electric vehicles we are aware of. This is because the OBDII standard (not sure what your equivalent is in Ireland) was set mostly for emissions purposes. Vehicles that don't have an internal combustion engine (I am not aware of any locale where this is not the case, but there probably is one) aren't required to implement the OBDII protocol.

The Obdlink App won't work without the OBDII protocol because then you have to get into manufacturer and model specific protocols to get any good information (Neither will any other OBDII app that I know of, but I haven't tested many).
    "

Am sending it back as it was Stg 63.00

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Wouldn't mind someone with Leaf spy doing a report on my car if anyone is local enough to me? (Finglas).

kceire wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind someone with Leaf spy doing a report on my car if anyone is local enough to me? (Finglas).

PM me, but you need to know what files you need extracted, I can see them on the phone and can down load them.

Interesting experience y-day.
    Rolled into a commercial outfit with a free charger all set up

As I was plugging it in a guy came out and said, "congratulations, you are the first one: Can you show me how it all works"

Yes said I so out with cable etc.

Very strong sunlight so we had to get a mat to cover wind screen.

No blue lights.
    Then a debate on whether the breaker on the unit should be up or down

More peering.

Checked the cable, plug/unplug, moved the car......and so on.

Eventually he said let me call the sparks who fitted it:.....

Not connected at board......:)
    Has been there 6 months and was put in to impress some Dutch company who were visiting that they do business with who were big into e-cars.

Anyway, when I next looked at the charge count in Spy, it had jumped by 8 so it looks as if the plug-in at the car counts as a charge, unless I am missing something.

Anyway, when I next looked at the charge count in Spy, it had jumped by 8 so it looks as if the plug-in at the car counts as a charge, unless I am missing something.

Known issue...

See post 4 here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100717256

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I bought this one and it finally came!

Thank god I finally have one that works!

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

What this report will tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 deerpark

I don't know how. I bought one of these and it doesn't work on mine! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 deerpark

deerpark wrote: »

I don't know how. I bought one of these and it doesn't work on mine! :-(

I got it working in the end. I wasn't following the instructions correctly. The important thing is not to allow the phone to get an IP address automatically. You have to set it manually and to an address different to the one obtained by dhcp. RTFM!

Advertisement