Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a 4g Sim Router t

Options
  • 13-01-2017 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations on a 4g router ( takes a SIM). Was hoping to get one from a bricks & mortar shop over the weekend.
    The people I'm getting for it don't want to spend a whole lot either!!

Wouldn't usually buy from maplin, but something's along these lines
    http://www.maplin.ie/p/tp-link-m7300-4g-lte-advanced-mobile-wi-fi-hotspot-a96ux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

LowOdour wrote: »
    I'm looking for recommendations on a 4g router ( takes a SIM). Was hoping to get one from a bricks & mortar shop over the weekend.
    The people I'm getting for it don't want to spend a whole lot either!!

Wouldn't usually buy from maplin, but something's along these lines
    http://www.maplin.ie/p/tp-link-m7300-4g-lte-advanced-mobile-wi-fi-hotspot-a96ux

You'd be far better off buying a Huawei B315 or B593, better reception and all round device..

Huawei Unlocked B315 4G/ LTE 150 Mbps Mobile Wi-Fi Router (Genuine UK Stock)- White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013P15G4K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5rrEyb7NRNRCP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭LowOdour

@mcquaim
    cheers for that. Coverage shouldnt be an issue as its only going to used in a couple of adjacent room in a bungalow. it would also be a bit over budget and would probably take until mid next week to arrive. will read up on it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

@mcquaim
    cheers for that. Coverage shouldnt be an issue as its only going to used in a couple of adjacent room in a bungalow. it would also be a bit over budget and would probably take until mid next week to arrive. will read up on it though!

No, better 4G reception I mean.. Just a better device all around, I'm sure you can buy it in shops nearby too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I know it's way out of what they are looking for.
    But if money was no problem I'd buy one of these and connect it to an existing router.

http://www.teldat.com/telecommunications/corporate-routers/teldat-4ge-lte-4g-3g-backup-resilience-failover-interface/

We use them on our work network at branch sites as backup connections to the main DSL etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

@mcquaim

I bought one of these for a family member from this seller in Poland. Took 9 days to arrive IIRC and it was in perfect condition. It was a T-Mobile DE branded B593, but the router settings page was also available in English.

Huge saving buying it from him and waiting a few days extra. It's a great router too that works great with Three.

He also has a listing which includes the wireless antennas if you wanted them but for a bungalow, you wouldn't.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUAWEI-B593-NEW-FACTORY-UNLOCKED-LTE-Mobile-Broadband-Router-150-Mbit-s-/182355015219?hash=item2a7534b633:g:ZNkAAOSw4T5XHiN-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Was in the same position as the OP & was going to get the Huawei from 3 for €139.99 but thanks to Oat23's post have now ordered the one linked to on ebay with the antennas for £58.00 shipped. So thanks very much guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PissFlapsDory

The Huawei 315 with two antennas is a dam good router....and 4g to boot as well. Using one now that works on all networks. 58 quid on ebay was a good price considering they r sold new over the 100 quid mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PissFlapsDory

The Huawei 315 with two antennas is a dam good router....and 4g to boot as well. Using one now that works on all networks. 58 quid on ebay was a good price considering they r sold new over the 100 quid mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Oat23 wrote: »
    He also has a listing which includes the wireless antennas if you wanted them but for a bungalow, you wouldn't.

Not sure if you mean the antenna is to increase the wireless performance?

The antennas are to help pick up signal from network.

I bought the B593, have got 5 so far. There is cheap antenna available from China which work with it. If you don't mind the wait for shipping

On last order I got 2 connectors with long cable so I am going to install onto chimney when I get a chance to increase performance. Something similar to the following: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huawei-B593-4G-LTE-Smart-Hub-TELUS-external-magnetic-antenna-with-connector-5db-/281013698443?hash=item416db8bf8b:g:UdAAAOSws4JW7bau

Also worth checking your area to see which provider is best for your house: http://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#site/4346/53.4540341772/-6.4301400724/1/Site%204346

I love the B593 and bought for loads of people but have to sell on, I want to use a VPN on the router and it won't support it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not sure if you mean the antenna is to increase the wireless performance?

The antennas are to help pick up signal from network.

Didn't realise that! Assumed it was to improve wifi.

Get full signal without them in Sligo anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

That yawk from Poland, will it increase the 4g signal around the house? 
    Let me outline my situation and them maybe one of ye can recommend it for me. I've Meteor 4g to supply the BB in the house at the moment (I was with VF but the 30gb/month package wasn't sufficient).  In some parts of the house the 4G signal is a bit iffy and the DL speed coming into house goes from >2mb at peak times to about 12mb later in the evening. 
    Meteor provide the Huawei E5577 with the contract.
    My question, will the yawk mentioned above (b593) pick up a better 4G signal and broadcast the signal better around the house?

Cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

That yawk from Poland, will it increase the 4g signal around the house?
    Let me outline my situation and them maybe one of ye can recommend it for me. I've Meteor 4g to supply the BB in the house at the moment (I was with VF but the 30gb/month package wasn't sufficient). In some parts of the house the 4G signal is a bit iffy and the DL speed coming into house goes from >2mb at peak times to about 12mb later in the evening.
    Meteor provide the Huawei E5577 with the contract.
    My question, will the yawk mentioned above (b593) pick up a better 4G signal and broadcast the signal better around the house?

Cheers...

First off what is a yawk?

I have a Huawei E5577 which I use for my laptop when in the car, the performance at the best of time is poor but ok for email sending/receiving. Why you would try and use it for a house is beyond me, sure the signal of the wifi would only work within a room at best

The B593 will work better because it is a proper router/receiver.So you will get a lot better performance. Also a larger area covered for wifi. I posted link above, what you need to do is check your area, find the closest mobile location and then check who supplier is. Also it is worthwhile positioning the router in house pointing in that direction

My current setup is VF mobile with B593. VF is a couple of fields over after checking on map. I have this put in window in direction of router just to make sure and then I have a small antenna I got from China connected which is on outside wall to try to increase performance. I then have this connected into TP Link adapters to provide better wifi around house, house is bungalow and very spread out.

I am getting circa 20MB download and I think it is 1mb upload or something like that. To get better I have bought 2 antenna which I can put outside and cable is long enough to put up onto top of chimney.

If you want to PM me I have a spare B593 I am selling, haven't even bothered putting up for sale yet

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

A 'yawk' is Donegalian for yoke - a la - "that's some yoke you have there..", translated to "Thats some yawk you have there.."

"Why you would try and use it for a house is beyond me, sure the signal of the wifi would only work within a room at best"
    Came with the Meteor plan.

"what you need to do is check your area, find the closest mobile location and then check who supplier is. Also it is worthwhile positioning the router in house pointing in that direction"
    Did all that.VF has a faster/stronger signal but the data cap of 30gb is insufficient (just about) and I cant justify spending 50 or 60 bucks on their next plan up. Meteor have 65gb for 30 quid/mth which is plenty - both for cost and usage.

"If you want to PM me I have a spare B593 I am selling, haven't even bothered putting up for sale yet"

Thanks for the offer but I'll make do with the current 'yawk' until the contract expires (soon) and maybe look at one of the wimax providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Well received my B593 today & after picking up a sim went about setting it up which was fairly straightforward. I am getting 17mb on dsl but getting 51mb on 4g which is some difference. Now to hook the rest of my gear up & test it thoroughly over the weekend. Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

i got the b593 from the polish fella (see earlier posts). It works great . I got the external antenna as well. can only recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wesfox

i got the b593 from the polish fella (see earlier posts). It works great . I got the external antenna as well. can only recommend.

I just purchased one today, is there much configuration to set it up??

very little and there's a pdf link or piece of paper on how to do it . if your really stuck give me a shout and i'll get on skype ot you. basically you go on your computer and hook up to the router wirelessly and then put some data in about your provider 3, vodafone , meteor or what not. Hook up the exernal antenna and stick them outside and as high as you can. there is a link somehwere that will show you on a map your nearest mast and what direction it is . if your not getting good broadband, get back to me and i'll look for it but google it yourself first. setting up the router really is easy enough and only a few steps.

very little and there's a pdf link or piece of paper on how to do it . if your really stuck give me a shout and i'll get on skype ot you. basically you go on your computer and hook up to the router wirelessly and then put some data in about your provider 3, vodafone , meteor or what not. Hook up the exernal antenna and stick them outside and as high as you can. there is a link somehwere that will show you on a map your nearest mast and what direction it is . if your not getting good broadband, get back to me and i'll look for it but google it yourself first. setting up the router really is easy enough and only a few steps.

When you say external antenna, they connect directly to the router? Screw into it?
    I'm in a large town and the 3 mast is across the road from me. On my phone 4G gets 30+ Mb from where I hope to place the router. I'd be ok setting it up, my background is IT, it's getting the three settings that worried me?

i'm on 3 as well i can post the settings here after you try it yourself :)
    great that your near the mast, so you prob won't need the external antenna, no harm to use it either , it screws into the router, there is an internal antenna as well of course.

i'm on 3 as well i can post the settings here after you try it yourself :)
    great that your near the mast, so you prob won't need the external antenna, no harm to use it either , it screws into the router, there is an internal antenna as well of course.

Are the external antennas those white aerials in the box or does the kit come with something else?

If you could post them here that would be great or take a pic of them on your router page.

Appreciate the help

• Advertisement

the external antenna is a small white box with a 10m cable attatched to it with two endpoints that connect to the router.
    To setup the router . stick your simcard in the router simcard slot. power up the device.
    configure the router : goto 192.168.1.92 or speedport.ip , enter your password (should be on the back of the router) . In internet seettings add your apn profile. i have 3internet (no dialled number or password, network auto).

see this guide https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrfd7pf5a221zs4/HOW%20TO%20CREATE%20NEW%20SIM%20CARD%20PROFILE%20—%20B593.docx?dl=0

the external antenna is a small white box with a 10m cable attatched to it with two endpoints that connect to the router.
    To setup the router . stick your simcard in the router simcard slot. power up the device.
    configure the router : goto 192.168.1.92 or speedport.ip , enter your password (should be on the back of the router) . In internet seettings add your apn profile. i have 3internet (no dialled number or password, network auto).

see this guide https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrfd7pf5a221zs4/HOW%20TO%20CREATE%20NEW%20SIM%20CARD%20PROFILE%20—%20B593.docx?dl=0

Thanks so much, I'll let you know how it goes ðŸ‘

Advertisement