Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5W40 VW505.01 spec oil

Options
  • 22-07-2016 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for 5W40 VW505.01 spec oil if anybody can steer me in the right direction please. Online or Dublin. I need enough for an oil change but it's so hard to come by that I might just stock up if the price is right.

It's for a PD without DPF.

I'm no oil expert but the lack of knowledge in this field - even from the AD's - is shocking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you tried a VW Dealer? Castrol don't seem to do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Hmmm 5/40

To not answer your question :)

I get 5/30 505.01 from a B&M motor factors in Artane ( for a 1.9 ASV)

Last can was branded Maxol ! one before was Elf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I'm looking for 5W40 VW505.01 spec oil if anybody can steer me in the right direction please. Online or Dublin. I need enough for an oil change but it's so hard to come by that I might just stock up if the price is right.

It's for a PD without DPF.

I'm no oil expert but the lack of knowledge in this field - even from the AD's - is shocking.

Here's a list:
    http://www.my-gti.com/2532/volkswagen-oil-standard-505-01-approved-oils

Filter out the 5W30, you'll end up with a few...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The local VW dealer tried to sell me something else under the pretense that it (and one other oil) is all their workshop use on all engine models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Are you sure you need 505.01? If its a 1.9 then its 505.00 for short service interval or 507.00 for flexable

The only other PD I know of is the 5 cylinder or 10 cylinder that needs 506.01 pre PDF or 507.00 post dpf.

I would hazard a guess 505.01 has been superceeded by 507.00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

iamtony wrote:
    I would hazard a guess 505.01 has been superceeded by 507.00

This is what was implied. From my experience and knowledge this is not accurate, also it was 5W30 as opposed to 5W40.

Well I'd be fairly sure it is correct. What engine have you got? I've played this game for a long time driving a 1.9 t5 transporter and would consider myself fairly knowledgeable on the matter and I also have Elsa win on my PC and have seen official service bulletin regarding updates on the oils over the years.

Theirs a lot of wrong information on the vw websites.

The 5w30 was replaced by 5w40 on some spec oils due to excessive oil consumption particularly with the 2.5 5 cylinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Castrol Edge 5w40 meets 505.01

A cheaper option is Valvoline Durablend 5w40 and should be widely available.

5w30 507.00 is also backwards compatible so ok to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

Advertisement