Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Scandal - What's the story in Ireland ?

Options
  • 30-06-2016 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

VW have reached a settlement of $15b today in the US. It includes compensation of up to $10k per car owner !. I have one of these dodgy cars and got a letter from VW a few months ago to say that they will be in contact soon with the details of an AP to have a software update applied. I haven't heard anything since.

I would be interested if anybody knows what is the situation here, especially regarding any possible payouts to car owners ? I doubt if the state (DPP) or EU is taking a case against them on behalf of us car owners as I have heard nothing. If they do it will probably take years (look at Anglo !). Are individuals getting together to create a class action lawsuit ? I haven't looked for any legal advise on this so far but I think I will do so soon.

Any ideas if selling the car will eliminate me from any possible future compensation payout ? Personally, I would expect that it doesn't as the buyer of such a car from now on will be aware of the fault and so not entitled to compensation. Even though I may not own the car when any compensation is agreed I would expect that I would receive payment for buying the goods under false pretences. I presume if I sell the car that I need to declare this fault otherwise I could be liable for withholding information that impacts the value of the car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Payouts? More like we will pay the payouts for the US buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a German company in the EU, the Germans run the EU, very unlikely to get anything except the issue fixed.

There is a case running in Castlebar but no idea what current progress on it is...
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0607/793926-volkswagen-castlebar-court/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

What exactly are you hoping to be compensated for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Is there a possibility of the annual motor tax being increased on these vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭kirving

It should be, but if that were to happen then I can see VW having to pay for it. Anything like that will be heavily resisted.

I can't understand why people expected to be compensated. VW developed a car with more power and better fuel consumption for the every day driver, and their cheating of the test (which the dongs on the street know is a joke) saved the customer money too.

Aside from the environmental issues, VW are being made an example of here because they directly profited by A) lying to the US Authorities which goes down like a lead baloon, B) Lying to customers and C) were unfair to the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Drive on lads. Forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

mickeyk wrote: »
    Is there a possibility of the annual motor tax being increased on these vehicles?

No its Nox that was affected not Co2..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

They're hoping to be compensated for not being compensated before they sell their car...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,170 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Let me guess, people want compensation for being told that their diesel car is greener than it actually is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes, I'd say so, false description of sold goods, it's basically deception which I'm sure has caused severe emotional turmoil. Probably the root cause of Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

mickeyk wrote: »

Why?! They never lied about CO2 results from NEDC...

The only thing I can see compensations happen is when you had VW stocks and those felt to the ground. There are some transparency rules when it comes to stock-traded shares and VW did not complete those and in the result people are loosing money.

Compensation on the cars?! Can't really see a reason, unless the tax changes - but it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

A know all bollocks in the pub told people that my A4 tax would go up to 2.5K...:D Also the black pack with a sline is the Base model ..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MackMack

All depends on how they "fix" the emissions problem. If it results in the car using more fuel or having less power, then compensation should be made for changing the characteristics of the car.

MackMack wrote: »
    All depends on how they "fix" the emissions problem. If it results in the car using more fuel or having less power, then compensation should be made for changing the characteristics of the car.

The manufacturer very rarely claims how the car consumes in the wild. What they tell is how much they have achieved in a NEDC... So even if it suddenly doubles - there is no grounds for any claims.

On the other hand - if one rejects to have it remapped - it forms grounds for voiding the warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I doubt any compensation will be offered but
    grogi wrote: »
    On the other hand - if one rejects to have it remapped - it forms grounds for voiding the warranty.

It seems some posters don't regard this "suffer decreased mpg and increased CO2 (yuck, awful stuff) or we may void your warranty" scenario you describe as a grounds for a case against VW. :pac:

grogi wrote: »

Warranties on cars aren't tied to getting recall repairs done. The warranty will still be valid regardless of whether you get the recall done.
    On the other hand, are VW offering a new warranty to the car for the changes they make with this recall?

grogi wrote:

Definitely not, warranty is 'as sold'.

bladespin wrote: »
    Definitely not, warranty is 'as sold'.
    Are you sure they wouldn't get sticky with ya if you serviced it yourself etc then came looking to them for warranty when something went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

And how much op should vw compensate the customer? Of what inconvenience is it to you?
    I dont buy that the car will depreciate in value nonsense and the tax wont be affected so I see no grounds for vw having to make compensation payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 alongwaytotipp

This whole emissions scandal doesn't bother me in the slightest but I'd be dammed if I was going to miss a chance of a payout... They are paying out in the US so why not elsewhere ?
    grounds for compensation include: buying deceptive goods, the stress and worry of not having a car that was as environmentally friendly as I thought, wasting my time to have the ca fixed...etc. I'd say 10k should cover

There's only 2 grounds for compensation here. Power and fuel economy.

I bought a car that was 170bhp but now VW want to change that to only 150bhp. A 150bhp car would have been much cheaper when I originally bought the car.
    Same for fuel economy. VW sold the car based on 50mpg but now want to change it so it only does 40mpg. That's something that would again have made a person buy a different cheaper car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

This whole emissions scandal doesn't bother me in the slightest but I'd be dammed if I was going to miss a chance of a payout... They are paying out in the US so why not elsewhere ?
    grounds for compensation include: buying deceptive goods, the stress and worry of not having a car that was as environmentally friendly as I thought, wasting my time to have the ca fixed...etc. I'd say 10k should cover

And this, is the problem with Ireland today. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell

I never owned a VW but I want to be compensated as well. After all it's not the driver that breaths in the fumes, but the others. I am the others. 10k will do, thank you very much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Apply that logic to minor accidents and you have the high insurance costs that we have today. 10k for ''Stress and Worry'' when that woman clipped my mirror in Tesco car park !:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭cletus

How soon will the affected cars be in bangernomics range. I'd like to buy one, so that I too could be stressed and compensated

I have to smile at people who want compensation because the diesel car they bought was not as kind to the environment as they were led to believe. If people were that concerned about the environment at the time of purchase then why did they buy a diesel car to begin with. To me it's a bit like ordering a diet coke with your kebab and taco fries.

bazz26 wrote: »
    To me it's a bit like ordering a diet coke with your kebab and taco fries.

Man your diet is terrible, you're probably harming the environment more than the car :eek: how would you feel if you had ordered your 'diet' coke and got fanta instead?

There are bigger things between heaven and earth but no matter how they downplay it the buyer did not get what they were sold.

My point is that some people are suddenly concerned that their diesel car is not as earth friendly as they were told when they bought it. Where they such tree huggers when they were shopping for a car? Diesel cars have always been harmful no matter what amount of marketing bull they put out there so it's interesting to see how owners are in shock now that it doesn't do what it said on the tin or is it just a case of them suddenly being concerned environmentalists when the hint of compensation is mentioned? Why didn't they just buy a hybrid if they were that concerned about the environment?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    My point is that some people are suddenly concerned that their diesel car is not as earth friendly as they were told when they bought it. Where they such tree huggers when they were shopping for a car? Diesel cars have always been harmful no matter what amount of marketing bull they put out there so it's interesting to see how owners are in shock now that it doesn't do what it said on the tin or is it just a case of them suddenly being concerned environmentalists when the hint of compensation is mentioned? Why didn't they just buy a hybrid if they were that concerned about the environment?

But diesel is VERY clean????:confused::confused::confused:
    6a00e00982cb97883301157054efdf970c-500wi

Advertisement