Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 50MB Cable

Options
  • 22-12-2008 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Had one of their engineer out with me on Saturday morning, got chatting to him and apparently UPC will be offering 50mb from january. Anyone know anymore details about this? I'd be really interested if they could offer it with a 5mb upload on it, if not its pretty useless :(

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm kinda surprised they aren't offering higher speeds already. They have oodles of bandwidth available to the households. Just a case of making sure they have the backhaul to supply it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

win :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I'm kinda surprised they aren't offering higher speeds already. They have oodles of bandwidth available to the households. Just a case of making sure they have the backhaul to supply it.

They need to upgrade to DOCSIS 3 to get 50mb BB.

People will probably need to get new DOCSIS 3 capable modems to avail of 50mb speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

The hell is my ntl broadband let alone the 50mb package....upgrade my line you bastards or let me pay for the upgrade. I am serious....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

The hell is my ntl broadband let alone the 50mb package....upgrade my line you bastards or let me pay for the upgrade. I am serious....

ntl offer cable, it doesnt run through your phone line...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I hope this is a speed increase not just a new package.

It'd be nice to see

10, 25 and 50 as their broadband packs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

Yeah according to an article I read UPC intends to upgrade all their markets Ireland, Hungary, Romania etc. to up to 100Mbit by the end of 2009.

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=168639&site=cdn

Not sure if they are going to do 100Mbit anytime soon in Ireland though bc of the lack of competition or they offer it for some crazy price. 50Mbit sounds about right for now.

As someone said they have to issue new Modems bc they will have to switch to DOCSIS 3 for higher speeds.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Unlikely, more likely to be a new, more expensive package, as they will need to install brand new modems to enable this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

My guess is it will be between 70 - 80eur but i could be way off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Heard they where trialing 40Mb broadband in Dublin somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah I heard the rumour off a mate in the sales call center down here, sounds like its legit then.

It'd be crazy if they upgraded the 20 Mb package, they sent me out a new modem for that about 4 or 5 months again, to have to reissue ANOTHER modem to everyone again would be crazy....... I'd Still love if they did it though :P .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Don't get your hopes up too high folks, as BK has already said to make this possible they will need to have upgraded to DOCSIS 3, it will happen in the near future but there is a good chance this is just another rumor.

Docsis 3.0 will run alongside 1.0 so they can do both at the same as virgin are doing in uk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I do not believe it is possible on old cable ...eg if the cable in your area was installed before 1995 . If more recent then it could be doable .

Ireland has some of the oldest , cheapest and crummiest cable in all of Europe .

UPC relayed the pipe around my area in north dublin last year, have had Rock solid 20MB BB for a year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Allowing for my undoubted upc prejudice would they not be better off concentrating on getting an acceptable level of service for the vast majority of their customers so that they could get close enough to the speed they are paying for - not to mention a fairly decent level of customer service?

To judge by comments on there are a signficant number of ongoing blackspots in the Dublin area and they seemed to introduce the 20Mb product before they were ready for it.

(And on the tv side they still cannot deliver a reliable bbc 2 service to many customers!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

It's not much of a surprise...

Package started out as 6mb, upgraded to 12mb which was then upgraded to 20mb so 50mb doesn't seem too far off the mark although 40mb sounds more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,226 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

UPC only installed new cables in my street in October, so it'll be ok for round here.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

the Eng said that they have upgdared to DOCSIS 3. But im goign to remail sceptical untill i actually see it. And if the package has anything less then a 5mbit upload i wont be interested at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

nuxxx wrote: »
    ntl offer cable, it doesnt run through your phone line...

When did I mention a phone line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I do not believe it is possible on old cable ...eg if the cable in your area was installed before 1995 . If more recent then it could be doable .

Ireland has some of the oldest , cheapest and crummiest cable in all of Europe .

Did you not tell us recently that there was no way they'd be able to offer 20? :rolleyes:

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Did you not tell us recently that there was no way they'd be able to offer 20? :rolleyes:

Well they are still not offering bb at all in many areas while it is obvious from here that for lots of customers the overall bb performance is very far from consitently satisfactory and many people have had problems with any sort of consistent performance from the 20 product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

dub45 wrote: »
    Well they are still not offering bb at all in many areas while it is obvious from here that for lots of customers the overall bb performance is very far from consitently satisfactory and many people have had problems with any sort of consistent performance from the 20 product.

Agreed that it is problematic for some and as you said above, they should be focusing on the customer service. None the less, they offer 20Mbps, which the poster I referenced said they wouldn't / couldn't. They have also been upgrading their network so I'd question the "Ireland has some of the crummiest cable in Europe" bit too.

Agreed that it is problematic for some and as you said above, they should be focusing on the customer service. None the less, they offer 20Mbps, which the poster I referenced said they wouldn't / couldn't.

Unfortunately though UPC are very good at 'offering' less good at delivering consistently.

They have also been upgrading their network so I'd question the "Ireland has some of the crummiest cable in Europe" bit too.

Upgrading is a process not a final state so that does not invalidate Sponge's claim. The area where I live was one of the earliest cabled (was it Marlin or something like that way back then?) and I don't recall too many if any cable upgrades since then http://www.iolfree.ie/~icdg/cable_about.htm

Given as I said above that UPC still cannot deliver a reliable BBC 2 service let alone BB at any speed to many of their customers there is obviously a lot of cable (not to mention some of their other organisational parts) to be upgraded. So Sponge is hardly too off the mark in his claim.

Advertisement