Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lost Room

Options
  • 21-12-2006 12:30pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Watched the three episodes before I realised that the series had not and may not continue. Thought it was just interesting, just left me wanting more. Any one else planning on watching it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

its on my x-mass list could you rate it out of 10 please?
    it seems allot is seeing cancellation this year, day break, six degress, smith, kidnapped ect

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It can be treated as a stand alone mini-series. There are only 3 episodes altogether - its not 'cancelled'.

There are a few loose ends at the end, but that just leaves things open for a second series (which I hope it gets).

Very enjoyable, well acted, and clever. An enjoyable 4½ hours TV, and highly recommended.

For those who don't know what it is:
    Peter Krause (Six Feet Under) heads up the stellar cast of this intriguing new mini-series from the SciFi Channel as Detective Joe Miller, a man desperate to find the one thing he holds most dear in his life: his daughter. Join Miller and other characters and learn about Room 10 at the Sunshine Motel on Route 66, its terrible history, and its supernatural contents that hold the key to his daughter's whereabouts.
    Basically, the room lets you go anywhere in the world if you have the key. Objects that were in the room have special properties (stopping time, teleporting, repairing flesh (and 96 more! - I won't mention any more because half the fun is finding out about new objects). (TV.com)

Liked it alot, and I hope they take it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

Yeah, I watched the three episodes this week. It's basically a long pilot for a potential series. It's structured like six one-hour episodes, with the first half of each part following one A-story with one set of guest stars, and second half of each part taking up a new A-story, with different characters. Behind it all is the continuing story of the mysterious motel room.

I loved it. I'd rate it far ahead of Heroes, Jericho, and most of this season's other new shows. In fact, it wasn't far behind Day Break, which I loved.

It has a strong central character and a lot of interesting supporting characters, with various motivations for what they want to achieve. Our hero is motivated by one thing, and one thing only. Sometimes he works with others, sometimes against them. And this lends the series a nice air of sophistication as alliances are formed/broken as needs dictate. As the series progresses we get to see our hero move through, and become part of, a very interesting world.

The cast are excellent, and most are given lots of material to work with. The leading lady, however, is one of the least fleshed out characters. The series has lots of touches of humour, too. And some of the objects have really, really cool powers. So the series has it's share of "Wow, cool!" moments.

The main thrust of the mini-series is the quest that the leading character is on. While this quest is basically brought to a conclusion, all the mysteries of the world he lives in are left intact at the end of the series, so this basically forms his "first adventure" and the door (no pun intended) is left open for him (or someone else) to be the basis of an ongoing series.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Yeah, I should have been more clear. They left it open at the end for a series which hasn't materialised as of yet, so it kinda leaves you hanging.

Relly enjoyed it, would rate it 9/10 as a miniseries, 10/10 if it continued. (To fill out the story)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The first scenes with the Bus Ticket (one of the special objects!) had me laughing out loud....

Special mentions for Ewen Bremner (Spud in Trainspotting) who has a great character in this (Stritzke), and Kevin Pollack who plays one of the collectors.

Don't know about being better than Heroes, but its well up there! There are similar themes and ideas.

You could do far far worse than dig this up for a quality night of TV when the usual xmas sh1te is on the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Excellent mini-series although leaves a lot of unanswered questions apart from the obvious one. I hope they pick it up for a longer series but dump the kid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Great to hear that it's liked! It's sitting at home waiting to be watched. Be good to see that the other Fisher brother can also star in some quality TV this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I loved this!

I think what made it most promising as a full series would be the vast number of other objects we either didn't see at all (or briefly saw and didn't see / witness their powers).

Elle Fanning.... without a question, that's Dakota's sister. Same irritating mannerisms and all. But it was a show full of really strong characters.. even the supporting characters like Wally and Weasel were fun comic relief.

Really hope Sci-Fi gives it a chance of a full series cos an enjoying 4.5 hours of TV it certainly was. Got really immersed in it too.. felt myself saying stuff like "HA.. OBJECTS CAN'T BE USED IN THE ROOM!!!" :D

Advertisement