Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Bird 2A 33° East, Please Help !

Options
  • 20-04-2005 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

Hi,

as you may remember a few weeks ago i posted here and on the broadband forum about getting, satellite boradband from euroskynet. Now i've every thing done and ready to roll (the dish is up, the cabling's done, Pci card and software installed) But this evening and last saturday i have being rather strenuosly trying to align the stupid dish to the the satellite Ebird 2A @ 33° east. I ve rang around a few installers but all they gives me is that "we only install Sky digital" and have never heard of this satellite and that their meters dosent have Ebird 2A on it. Can any one give me any advice ? has anyone every locked on to this satellite before ? Atlantic 2d is a possibility also @ 8° West but euroskynet recommended EBird 2A but it will work of either. My Dish is a channel master 80cm and i'm at my wits end cause so far its cost me over €300 for the dish and the PCI card and set up fees. If this goes wallop i'll be left with a dish thats of no use to me cause i'm hopeless at realigning them. I have sky so it'd be no use for that either.

Please Help,

Regards netwhizkid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭vsat

Cpntact Us.
    Vsat Communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

33E has a very strong signal over Ireland, so it should be easier to align that 8W, although that's doable too.

You mentioned you are in Kerry, so I'll assume Tralee, which means the elevation for 33E is 18.6deg. So set the elevation using the markings on the back of the dish to 18.6deg for a start.

A second rough guide will be that the Sun passes by 33E at 11.11am in the morning.

Before we go any further, what sort of DVB card have you? What software have you installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Originally Posted by Zaphod
    33E has a very strong signal over Ireland, so it should be easier to align that 8W, although that's doable too.

You mentioned you are in Kerry, so I'll assume Tralee, which means the elevation for 33E is 18.6deg. So set the elevation using the markings on the back of the dish to 18.6deg for a start.

A second rough guide will be that the Sun passes by 33E at 11.11am in the morning.

Before we go any further, what sort of DVB card have you? What software have you installed?

Thanks for that, I wish i was in Tralee i'd have a better chace of Broadband then. My DVB card is a TELES skyDSL PCI card and just DVB data and the skydsl settings. I have settings given to me by euroskynet, they are 130.5 degress azimuth and 18.87degress elevation. I tried putting these up this evening and it failed i set it with my hiking compass. I'l will try now shortly just before sundown.

Thanks for the info,

Regards netwhizkid

Close on Tralee? Halfways up Mt Brandon maybe :)

The 18.87deg elevation sounds fine. Once it's set, don't change it anymore until you find the satellite at the end.

I don't know where they are getting the 130.5 from, 33 East is what you're after. The compass, like the Sun, is only a rough guide - you won't ever align the dish exactly using a compass alone. You can also eyeball it by comparing it to your Sky dish - it should be lower and more easterly.

Those Teles cards are data only I think. Does it look something like this?
    http://people.freenet.de/elo22/dvb-karte_gross.jpg

The software should have some sort of signal level/quality meter. For 33E the transponder details for skyDSL should be 11.513GHz, H, 27500. So you'll need to watch the signal meter for any movement when aligning the dish. If you can't see the monitor from where the dish is, get 2 mobile phones and a enlist a relative to watch the screen as you slowly move the dish left and right.

When you find the satellite, tighten the bolts to lock the dish azimuth. You can fine tune the elevation and also rotate the LNBF clockwise to maximise your signal.

vsat wrote:
    Cpntact Us.
    Vsat Communications.
    Banned for that VSAT
    unless you come back with a very convincing pm asking me to rescind the ban.
    You may only link to your business in your sig -thats all

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by Zaphod
    I don't know where they are getting the 130.5 from, 33 East is what you're after. The compass, like the Sun, is only a rough guide - you won't ever align the dish exactly using a compass alone. You can also eyeball it by comparing it to your Sky dish - it should be lower and more easterly.

My compass stars at 360 or 1° for north, 180° is south. So should i be pointing at 33° east as that seems more north easterly and would have its back to my sky dish nearly.

The PCi card looked almost exactly like that, this pci card is supposed to be able to recieve tv & radio channels aswell. It has kind of a tuner, and it is set to those settings 11.513GHz, H, 27500, so it should work but it is slow and patience is required, plus accrobatic skills :rolleyes: for the akward unsteady ladder. I tied it to the sat bracket for safety though.

Is their any meter like the one sky installers use that could help pinpoint this satellite ?

I'll keep ye posted on how i get on, espect late 2moro evening providing it stays dry.

Regards netwhizkid

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I've lined up on this once before but even with a spectrum analyser it was difficult. Atlantic bird is a lot easier especially if you can borrow or find an analogue receiver.

netwhizkid wrote:
    Hi,

as you may remember a few weeks ago i posted here and on the broadband forum about getting, satellite boradband from euroskynet. Now i've every thing done and ready to roll (the dish is up, the cabling's done, Pci card and software installed) But this evening and last saturday i have being rather strenuosly trying to align the stupid dish to the the satellite Ebird 2A @ 33° east. I ve rang around a few installers but all they gives me is that "we only install Sky digital" and have never heard of this satellite and that their meters dosent have Ebird 2A on it. Can any one give me any advice ? has anyone every locked on to this satellite before ? Atlantic 2d is a possibility also @ 8° West but euroskynet recommended EBird 2A but it will work of either. My Dish is a channel master 80cm and i'm at my wits end cause so far its cost me over €300 for the dish and the PCI card and set up fees. If this goes wallop i'll be left with a dish thats of no use to me cause i'm hopeless at realigning them. I have sky so it'd be no use for that either.

Please Help,

Regards netwhizkid

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony is right about 33E vs 8W - I was going by footprint charts. I rechecked again on our own 2.4m and 33E is under half the power of 8W.

You shouldn't have any problems with 8W. I checked the skyDSL transponder (11.492, V, 27500, 3/4) out with an 80cm Lidl dish several weeks back + it was fine.

For Atlantic Bird2 8W, your elevation is 30deg. It'll be 188deg (8deg west of true south) azimuth on your compass (not allowing for magnetic variation though!). The Sun pass time is 13.32pm. The dish should be higher and more westerly than your Sky dish.

The other steps are the same, but the LNBF will should be straight (not rotated) for 8W.

The meters used by installers could cost you another €300, or 10 times that for a spectrum analyzer. If you get one of the needle/LED type ones, for under €30 or so, that should do you fine.
    http://www.heyrick.co.uk/ricksworld/digibox/satfinder.html

Tony wrote:
    I've lined up on this once before but even with a spectrum analyser it was difficult. Atlantic bird is a lot easier especially if you can borrow or find an analogue receiver.

Do you mind mentioning which model spectrum analyser you have? I picked up one of the old analogue Satlook III ones on eBay and it's great for distinguishing weak birds from strong ones (eg Amos 4W and AB3 5W), but something with digital readouts would the bees-knees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kramlq

If your card is data only then borrow a dvb tv receiver if possible.

Then try to align using that on the 33e Eutelsat OpenSky Promo (a tv channel)...very strong signal even on 80cm dish due to high symbol rate. I'm a couple of counties directly north of kerry, but you should have similar signal strength.

Alternatively, find the best signal you can for a tv station on astra2 at 28e.
    Move the dish downward slightly and then move it across towards 33e. This method is suprisingly effective for finding sats (even extremely weak sats like arabsat) On an 80cm dish, the LNB probably needs to be moved about 5-6cm.

BTW, I dont have an effective way to measure signal, but other than the syria channel, most other channels on 8w (e.g. german cable feeds) are weaker than the opensky signal on 33e.

• Advertisement

Zaphod wrote:
    Do you mind mentioning which model spectrum analyser you have? I picked up one of the old analogue Satlook III ones on eBay and it's great for distinguishing weak birds from strong ones (eg Amos 4W and AB3 5W), but something with digital readouts would the bees-knees!

No not at all, I use a promax supplied by alban electronics , its just so easy to identify satellites by familiarising yourself with the pattern of the transponders, i'm sure you know this from your satlook. I've had mine a good few years now so i'm sure there are better models around, something that gives you a digital picture would be great.

http://www.promax.es/home.asp?show=http://www.promax.es/ing/productos/familias.asp?subfamilia=1

BTW Zaphod did you get the PM I sent you?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sorry for going OT, but Tony, what model is yours? I'm expecting to receive the MC577 tomorrow for terrestrial and satellite signals(form McGrath Electronics, dunno if you know of him). It's supposedly a great meter. Maybe you could gimme a review, via PM if you wish...

We had an analogue Satlook meter too which, in its time, was brillant but it died unfortunately!

Mines MC 377, great piece of kit especially for trouble shooting
    byte wrote:
    Sorry for going OT, but Tony, what model is yours? I'm expecting to receive the MC577 tomorrow for terrestrial and satellite signals(form McGrath Electronics, dunno if you know of him). It's supposedly a great meter. Maybe you could gimme a review, via PM if you wish...

We had an analogue Satlook meter too which, in its time, was brillant but it died unfortunately!

Hi Guys,

Thanx for the info, so far i havent recieved a signal yet. I have four satellites to choose from, E-Bird 2A @ 33°, E-Bird 2B @ 33° East, Atlantic Telecom 2D @ 8° West and Türksat 1B @ 31.3° East, I'd say that as it stands now my best chance to receive the Skydsl signal is Atlantic Telecom 2D @ 8° West, Do anyone know does those Sky Digital Satellite Meter carry Atlantic Telecom 2D @ 8° West in their list of known satellites ? If they does i'm on the pigs back. anyone know if Türksat 1B @ 31.3° East is over Ireland or would it be pointless trying to align to it.

I really appreciate the brilliant help i have recieved so far,

Regards netwhizkid

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

8W is near true south so is easist to find.

If you know the time for solar noon, the sun casts the shortest shadow, also a night the pole star is behind the dish.

8W is strongest. I get good signals on my 80cm dish in Limerick

Without a visble signal (borrow something?) it is easy to get 5W instead as it is a bit stronger and only 3deg different.

33E is weak and pixelates.

Türksat 1B @ 31.3 I can't find at all, though the Turkish bird at 42E is about 82% signal and 80% quality!

Go for the 8W and move dish very very very slowly E/W and don't change elevation if the pole / mount is vertical and scale is correct. Some scales you have to subtract from 90 to get the elevation on the scale.

At 8W the dish will be at highest point, so will point more up than a Sky or Hispasat dish.

13.32pm is of course close to solar noon.

Draw circle
    put stick on edge at 12.32 and mark shadow with string so it goes through centre.
    put second stick at 14.32 amd mark shadow withstring so it goes through centre.

Sticks are on circle equal space of due south.

bisecting line is true south, near 8W

The above time only applies on Nrth / South line down through Ireland.

For anywhere else you need to know the local solar time. And of course you won't be at 8W. But useful for setting up a polar mount for motor drive.

I never found a compass useful other than a general direction. The fiddle East/West with a analog meter needle!

Advertisement