Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use SimplyElectronics?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

There have been varied reports - mostly not great but to be fair someone recently purchased from them and reported back delivery within something like 3-4 days and couldn't fault them. Perhaps its the whole thing that people will give negative feedback far more often than positive. If you do a forum search (the google one from the boards home page should be working) you will find the respective threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

While I have no experience dealing with these I'm afraid I wouldn't take a chance.
    Try Kerso in Scotland.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

They ship from Hong-Kong as well just keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

There's a for sale thread on adverts where these guys came up..

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=151596&cat=51

from the reviews I wouldn't buy a lenses cap from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I have used them for a few purchases including my 5DMKII. They are not great on shipping times, they advertised 3 to 4 days for shipping, but read the small print & allow at least 10 working days for delivery on Cameras & Lenses, but IMO it's worth the wait as the prices are really good.
    Especially when compared to buying locally here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭leche solara

Ok looks like I'll give them a miss. Kerso has none of these lenses. I've now seen it for £290 incl. delivery from camerabox.co.uk who claim to be "a UK based company delivering from the UK" Might go with this unless anyone knows of any horror stories with this crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Ok looks like I'll give them a miss. Kerso has none of these lenses. I've now seen it for £290 incl. delivery from camerabox.co.uk who claim to be "a UK based company delivering from the UK" Might go with this unless anyone knows of any horror stories with this crowd.

Same deal as the above, some people have had ok experiences, the ones that haven't have had a dreadful time. The way I view it there are three types of retailers on the net.

1. Absolutely legit retailers. Amazon (the main shop), calumet, B&H, etc etc.

2. Complete scam artists. These will just rip you off. No doubt about it.

3. Places like the above, simply electronics, and camerabox. They're probably one or two man places with thin margins, who don't have much of anything in stock themselves, and rely on getting the stuff from the wholesalers once someone puts an order in. If things go well then you're fine, if things go pear shaped then you're on your own.

My strategy for dealing with these guys would be to order, and the moment they start feeding you excuses, cancel the order and do a CC chargeback. The CC companies are probably all too familiar with dealing with them. That said, I wouldn't bother in the first place. Life is too short. Just pay whatever it takes to get it from a reputable retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I have just received a EOS 50d from them - ordered and received all within 1 week.

The dispactch was within 2 days and then tracked with DHL and took them 3 working days (sent by road) - overall no complaints.

True, they state on their website 2 days delivery but, this is only UK and then only if you pay for express delivery - not clear until after check out!

The camera (per DHL tracking) commenced its journey in UK - so there were no import duties etc to worry about.

I know there is a lot of negativity over this retailer but my experience was sound and prices are keen.

May well be hong kong sourced products but so far as customs are concerned, shipped within EU.

Take it on board and make your own judgement whether saving is worthwhile

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tedk

I bought a Canon g10, arrived in one week, with a photocopied manual and USA charger plug. Price was worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Tedk wrote: »
    I bought a Canon g10, arrived in one week, with a photocopied manual and USA charger plug. Price was worth it

So it was probably refurbished at the very least. Was that explicit when you purchased it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Berkut wrote: »
    There's a for sale thread on adverts where these guys came up..

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=151596&cat=51

from the reviews I wouldn't buy a lenses cap from them.

Yea that feckin Anthony L hijacked my advert!!

From what I gather they are useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

My 16-35 took a few weeks and a few phone calls, but I got it in the end. PS, the price you pay, id not the price advertised. They used google cart when I bought and the exchange rate was different to that of their site!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭thebiglad

steve06 wrote: »
    My 16-35 took a few weeks and a few phone calls, but I got it in the end. PS, the price you pay, id not the price advertised. They used google cart when I bought and the exchange rate was different to that of their site!
    When it comes to price conversions they are rarely accurate - either Google or CC Company will invariably charge different.

On those occasions where a Euro rate is offered (see elsewhere on Boards) it is invariably even further from the true direct exchange rate from Euro (often a 30% uplift!).

On my £945 purchase I ended up due to Google checkout paying €20 more than that day's bank rate (and the rate on Simplyelectronics), I agree it is a little frustrating but the price is clear during checkout process and was still far cheaper than any other supplier (excluding EBAY, Hong Kong sellers).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭leche solara

Just an update to let people know what happened. I priced the lens from Amazon (£335 plus postage, supplied by Simply Electronics), Calumet £368 plus postage. Warehouseexpress £379.99 plus postage. I was reluctant to use Camerabox or Simply Electronics based on advice here. Came across a crowd called Digital-Cameras in Oxford who were based in Oxford who had Canon 60mm F2.8 Lens + Hama Lens Protector Case + 52mm UV Filter Saver Bundle for £320 + £5 postage. Decided to take the plunge and bought online last Wednesday. Imagine my shock when confirmation email came from the aforementioned Camerabox.

Next day, last Thursday, they rang me. I assumed it was to say they were out of stock or something else nasty, but they just wanted to confirm my delivery address as they thought I might have left it incomplete. I confirmed my address and he said he was posting it there and then. On Tuesday morning it arrived by DHL. All well and everything present and correct.

So I am happy to report that Digital-Cameras/Camerabox get my vote, and I feel credit should be given where its due. I know some of you guys had bad experiences but I was very happy with my experience.

Advertisement