Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seethecv.com The Video CV

Options
  • 30-08-2006 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Folks,

What do you think of this idea? Its a CV with a difference and is being received favourably by recruiters and candidates. Basically you are recorded presenting your CV ( more personal than just a paper CV). It saves time and money for you and has benefits for the recruiter too. The CV can be hosted on the website and/or sent in a WMV file . Your project work ( graphic design etc.) can be held on the website also.

Ive PM'd Roundtower 2 for clarification on this thread.

looking forward to your views

Seethecv

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That's a pretty good idea, good luck with it:)

Just a few suggestions regarding the site:

The first thing I noticed was of course the blue URL graphic. This looks as if it has been stretched from its original size and could look a lot smoother. I suggest doing this and saving it as a vector image, this can be resized as much as you want without any loss of quality.

When you click to view the videos, a blank page opens in FireFox and nothing happens, you have to right click and then click "save link as" and they will then download to your desktop (or wherever the user chooses to download the file to). This can probably be solved by your designer, if not, a simple bit of text saying "To download, please right click and save as". This is not a problem in Internet Explorer.

"The Video CV" text and logo above the menu looks slighty off centre from the rest of the page. Perhaps another font would compliment the page more too.

I know you are just starting off but if the site gets popular enough with enough people submitting their CV's, it is probably best to split the entries into categories to make it easier for employers to find the type of staff they are looking for. You may also want to consider a search option later on where they can input qualifications/age/location etc etc to better define the search. When I say later on, it would of course be good to have now but not necessary yet.

Perhaps you could introduce some kind of member system where job hunters can upload new material or update anything they may already have. They could also set their status to "Not seeking new employment", "Employed but open to new opportunities", "Seeking Employment in desired field only", "Seeking Employment" etc. This would save valuable time for employers and would also mean you wont be getting people requesting removal from your site due to being contacted when they do not want to be.

With membership, you could also allow job seekers to upload their text CV with personal details etc. Because this will have personal details (address etc) you could have a secure system where employers request this and the request can be approved or rejected by the job seeker who will be notified by email (or sms?) and given details of the employer looking for their CV including phone number of business if they wish to ring up to confirm that somebody from that place was looking for their CV, or else they can just approve by replying to the email or logging into the site. This option may only be possible if the job seekers status is set to seeking employment. Members can also get notifications. Job seekers will be notified of employers looking staff in whatever categories they choose and employers will be notified of new job seekers who fit their criteria.

Instead of having a blank field on the navigation menu on the right, shift over the menu so there is an equal gap on either side or reduce the menu size so there is no gaps at all.

Best of luck with it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Sorry for sounding so negative but the idea is a bit shaky. Basically what you have is someone reading their CV out to a camera and a few graphics... Sorry but big deal. Anyone handy with a video recorder could do the exact same; people on Youtube do it everyday. What differentiates you from the joesoap on the street with a recording device?

I don’t see how it saves time and money??? For who? The recruiter has to sit through 2 mins of video where as I would imagine a recruiter should be quickly able to assert from a CV whether or not a candidate is suitable for the job or not.

You would need to start offering other services (as far as I can see from the website video cv is the only service offered) before other recruitment agencies start offering a similar service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I think this is a cr*p idea as well. No one is going to want to watch a video when they are sifting through CV's. They're looking for keywords when they look at your CV, you can't easily do this with a video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 seethecv

All,

Thanks for reviewing the webite with your views.

Cormie great advice on improving the website and we will endeavour to implement these along with other improvements we have already noticed. Watch this space!!

We do hold Video CVs discreetly aswell so your current employer cannot see you are looking for a position. Not everyone wants their Video CV posted on the web. Files are generally 2 megs and can be e-mailed specifically.

Stepbar I agree there are people doing this on You Tube, in fact thats were I posted the concept first but its like getting your uncle to shoot your wedding video. It looks OK but how professional is another matter! A lot of companies have You Tube blocked where we would be a recognised website for CV solutions. We are not a recruitment agency but deal with them and direct recruiters who find, in our experience, that its better than sifting through paper. Our objective is to grab attention and for the candidate to stand out in a crowd and so far our candidates are.It is used in conjunction with your paper CV.

The service also allows you to upload portfolios and special projects for viewing by potential employers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I'm not sure of the idea too. What's the target market? High profile, high value employees? Regular joes? It's a bit vague?

What I'd do is put a slant on the idea...
    Say take Ireland, there's a significant need for foreign employment in Ireland to keep the economy ticking over. Usually what happens is the Poles or other eastern europeans come over and then start looking for work, jumping through hoops etc etc. Some get lucky, others not so.

Now if you were to target this website at 'Poles coming to Ireland', and charge them a small fee and give them guidelines on what they should do, they irish employers could check them all out, see their english skills, get a feel for the personality, and offer them a job through your website - all before they come to Ireland. They could at least use it as a screening process, and offer the candidates a phone interview or something similar.

You could also come to an agreement with say, a Polish netcafe, where they have a recording booth to do just that, as many of the Pols probably don't have webcams etc. in their homes.

I personally think it would be wise, if you are serious, to target a small distinct audience first, like my example, and if it has success of course move onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement

Seethecv - I think that is sound advise from chump. Seriously if you came to me looking for investment I would seriously have to question where is this business going. I know you are only starting out but if you want to be serious about this you have to have a strategy. I would advise you to read a book on strategy. What about a business plan? a marketing one? Fair play on getting an article in the Sunday Business Post but when I first saw it I thought amateurish. I had a look at your website and ok it is a good first attempt it does look amateurish. It HAS to look professional and not something that was whipped up in a few hours. You also need to but your contact details its no good putting a phone number, where's your registered office?? Our customer services team? Where are they based? Who are they? Names? Price? What DO you charge? This has to be transparent and displayable on the website. If someone wants the service they will pay for it.

You might also want to look at some proper recording equipment, personally I would not be happy with the quality of video but I do appreciate you are restricted by the size of the file. It might be an idea to look at different file types that give a better quality. If you want any further advise PM me, I have a Masters in Strategic Management and Degree in IT. But seriously read a book in strategy it is CRUCIAL.

EDIT: Just to add to this as a final point, I "could" start up a similar business in the morning. with a bit of effort I too could have a Video CV service to offer. If you had have some sort of competitive advantage it would be a good start (e.g. Are you a former recruiter? What are your qualifications? What experience do you have? ). I suspect that you dont because you would have that up on the website if you did. Another question, Why should I even go through you? I could contact the recruiter myself. These are questions that have to be asked and are important if the business has any future. In all honesty barriers to entry are shockingly low and that is always a worry.

I agree with all the points raised by the other posters too. If any of the big recruitment websites do this, and it would be quite easy for them to do, you'll be left in the dust. That's the problem with competing with the big guys, the just have such a wide audience and most likely such a large financial backing to do this that you wont have a hope. You have to find a niche in the market, get a target audience, create relationships in the industry, get there first. If you want this to work you're going to have to put a lot of effort into it.

Think of your target audience for a "Video" cv, a CV where you can see the person, I know it's not entirely PC, but there are many many many companies out there who want to hire "good looking" people. This should be one of your main targets. Go to the likes of FM104, think of the girls and guys they send around in the FM104 beetles giving out promotional material, these are always good looking people, try and team up with FM104/Spin 103 and the likes, you never know, they may even hold a competition "Think you have what it takes to drive in the FM104 Beetle, log on to seethecv.ie and submit your video CV and you could.... blah blah blah". Again you'll have to concentrate on getting grab of at least one market.

The beautiful people could be a good starting point. For the likes of waiters and waitresses, shop assistants, all of these jobs will not require much on a CV, no diplomas or masters or anything, most employers in these businesses will go a lot on first impressions because this is what their customers see and I know many people who will choose one bar over another because it has hotter staff:rolleyes:

Regarding the pricing displayed on the site, yes, this is another thing I was going to mention, everyone likes to know what they are going to pay without having to ring up when they go to a website so I think publishing this information would be a good idea. And of course, starting off, you'll want to have a launch price. Keep it cheap, very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

it is an interesting idea. wouldn't know if it will take off though.

just taking my own situation. i'm applying for lecturing work after handing in my phd next month. It would be useful to have a website where i could have my written cv, copies of my academic papers, and also a video clip of me giving a brief lecture (for a lot of these jobs, especially overseas, they ask you to send a video cassette of you presenting as good presentation skills is a vital part of the job).

there might be an opportunity in the academic market, as such. Although, it would need to be more than just a video hosted. Rather, it would have to be a 'build your own web cv webpage' which includes all the needed aspects incl video, but not limited to that.

Obviously TV presenters, actors, and as pointed out by other people, high end bar and waiting staff, would benefit aswell.

I'd say hosting is expensive because of the size of the video files, but you would probably benefit from giving people the opportunity to use the service free initially until word of mouth starts to spread.

If you had a good volume of users from one particular sector on the website then you could generate a critical mass and it shouldn't be a problem to get some media coverage in the newspapers because of the novelty of the idea.

Ultimately, though, i'd say you are looking at just proving the concept works and then licencing or selling the technology to one of the big Irish online recruitment companies.

Essentially i'd recommend - proof the concept works by giving free access - then get good media coverage - then sell the technology to the likes of irishjobs.ie on the back of the publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 seethecv

All,

Thank you for your valued opinions. There is a lot of work to do.

Ill let you know how it progresses in future threads.

Thanks Again

First thing I would do is sort out the website, work out what you want it to do. You may need to talk to a professional. Alternatively I would suggest contacting some of the colleges, there are any amount of 4th year students doing final year projects, who would fall over themselves for experience and do it for half nothing. But you would need a clear idea of what you want before you go down this route, you have to remember students dont have much practical working experience to offer. However, you would want to move quickly on this.

Good luck, but I think you are going to need a lot of help / guidance but for god sake dont be afraid to ask for it!

• Advertisement

Regarding web design, you should ask questions in this forum:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

And just as important as the design, is the backend. You're going to need an impressive database driven webpage. It'd be a huge job to do it right - infact I'd guess that the price to do it right could put you right off. And if you put something out there in the domain like your current website you'll be laughed at. And it will fail. So take that page offline and just right a blurb about coming soon.
    Don't jump in until you have a plan etc., and the website is functional and impressive.

Advertisement