Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a baby/childrensware co-op

Options
  • 20-07-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Just wondering how much interest there would be from local people selling baby and childrens clothes/gifts/equipment etc to get together, hire out a venue and 'do a sale', on a one off initially.

Thinking along the lines of all the small 'from home' businesses, seen advertised; books, baby shoes, baby weatherproof clothing etc. Also quality secondhand or never used baby/children equipment.

No bric a brac.Just a little quality market sale.There are alot of babies and potential buyers out there, I am sure!

We would just need to raise the cost of the venue and leaflets and then of course get leaflets delivered and any other publicity, etc.

Anyone interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Brilliant Idea!!! I was thinking that there is such a huge amount of young families in the area and so many people nowadays want to save money or spend as little as possible. I am on my second child and am looking into buying second hand baby equipment this time around. Great idea. You should put up a notice maybe in the local supermarkets, creches etc. I will definately be there buying and selling if you get it off the ground. Best of luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Great Idea - should work very well

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Greystoner wrote: »
    Just wondering how much interest there would be from local people selling baby and childrens clothes/gifts/equipment etc to get together, hire out a venue and 'do a sale', on a one off initially.

Thinking along the lines of all the small 'from home' businesses, seen advertised; books, baby shoes, baby weatherproof clothing etc. Also quality secondhand or never used baby/children equipment.

No bric a brac.Just a little quality market sale.There are alot of babies and potential buyers out there, I am sure!

We would just need to raise the cost of the venue and leaflets and then of course get leaflets delivered and any other publicity, etc.

Anyone interested?
    A few people interested via email. Have also found a potential venue and a date (Friday 13th August) Tables will be limited and therefore need to be booked in advance (paid on the day, possible E10 a table, still looking at costs of hiring venue and leaflets etc).

Be nice to see more people with 'good as new' baby goods/clothes/equipment. There is a big demand for it!

If anyone is interested there will be more details on the posters going up or you can pm me here.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Great initiative OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭amy1plus2

Hi, I also would really be interested in this idea - to buy & also to sell! Could you pm me some details please, Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

I have been trying extremely hard to find a suitable venue. The problem is that EVERY single stall holder would have to have PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE, thanks to the sueing society we now live in!This is impractical for the average person, and prohibitive in costs even for a one-off.

I and many others I have spoken to think that this sale would be a great idea and would benefit the huge community of young families in the area, so I am going to keep exploring the idea, but unfortunatley for now it is a case of 'watch this space..' Very sorry about this and disappointed.

If anybody out there knows of somewhere locally we could do this sale, without all the red tape, please let me know!

The Guide wrote: »
    Great Idea - should work very well
    In theory, yes it would be great. But not in insurance terms!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how does it work for car boot sales then, which seem to operate on the same principal?

loyatemu wrote: »
    how does it work for car boot sales then, which seem to operate on the same principal?

wondering this too? and then also sales of work and make up parties etc. Is there not any any way round this, maybe talk to clubs etc and see how they get round it.

PM on the way with a contact no. to try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

Hello all, I'm posting from my sons username. I would be very interested in a stall sale but wouldn't be able to have stock ready by the date mentioned above, but if it does go ahead on a regular basis could you please let me know. Would a mailing list be a good idea in this regard? Also, with the venue problem, I know for a fact that the community hall behind the holy rosary has had clothes sales in recent years, or you could also approach the community hall in st. patrick's church. I used to make children's clothes for just this kind of thing in Killian's Hall back in the bad old days of the early 90's :)

Regards,
    Anna.

Have tried the Holy Rosary. Their hands are tied by this new unfortunate sueing society, also they only really allow their own parish members to be involved. I would need the public liability insurance (which is prohibitive in cost, want to be able to hire stalls out at as low cost as possible!).

I am still pursuing several lines of hope and will update as soon as things are (hopefully) in motion. I am certainly no quitter!

Certainly a mailing list will be an option if and when we are set up!

At last! Persistence has paid off! I am waiting for the booking application form and they are waiting for my cheque, so as good as done, I hope!

Sale will be at St.Patricks, Greystones on Friday 20th August (hall booked for 9.30 until 1.30, but will probably open to the public at 10am to allow for setting up).

There are only 12 tables available, but space for more if people can either bring their own or who don't need one.Please let me know if you require a table; first come, first served. Tables E10 each. E20 for small 'from home' businesses, but no larger traders.PLEASE BOOK IN ADVANCE!(Pay on the day).

Good condition goods and unused goods etc. Strictly no bric a brac. thanks.

Please pm me if you are interested, with contact number and I will keep you up to date on here too.

Thanks to everyone else on here who has tried to help etc. Much appreciated!

Will be advertising early next week.

Should be a good sale!

Gaaaaah!!!! Why can't you have it on a Saturday or Sunday so that us 9-5ers can go?

:(

Gaaaaah!!!! Why can't you have it on a Saturday or Sunday so that us 9-5ers can go?

Sorry! I would love to keep everyone happy, but that's a very tricky one!

If it goes well, I will try for a weekend next time, promise!

Greystoner wrote: »
    Sorry! I would love to keep everyone happy, but that's a very tricky one!

If it goes well, I will try for a weekend next time, promise!

I have now been contacted by a few people saying that the Saturday would be better!

I have emailed St. Patricks to see if this is possible and will update you when I receive a reply!

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

I agree, weekends suit the working Mums much better, you'll get a better turnout too!

Also, check out www.storkexchange.com

I am working on it! (ie waiting to hear back if I can have the Saturday booking)Fingers crossed.

Good for you. This is a fantastic idea and tbh, I wouldn't stress if you don't get a Weekend date this time around, we'll still need baby stuff in the future anyway.

Stick to your plan and you'll have a great idea from there of how a Saturday or Sunday even will go.

The "ready - fire - ready - aim - fire" approach to an enterprise like this works nicely, imho in that there's not much at stake if it doesn't work out first time and you can tweak it as necessary for future events.

After getting everything organised and the date confirmed for the Saturday, I received a phone call. Will have to cancel the sale for now due to a sudden, tragic, untimely bereavement.

Very sorry for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 massage

Just reading this now and raging I missed it as was only thinking the other day need to unclutter all my baby goods! Would you mind pm Greystoner if a future date would be planned?
    Many thanks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 massage

Just reading cancellation notice. Sorry to hear that Greystoner.

massage wrote: »
    Just reading cancellation notice. Sorry to hear that Greystoner.

Thanks.

Only really a postponement. Iwill be aiming to do a sale in October! Will keep you posted.

Have provisionally booked date,( just waiting for confirmation that it's in their diary) shouldn't be any problems as all agreed from last time.

St Patrick's church (Swann hall)
    Saturday 2nd October
    (theatre school have booking until 2pm and then us stallholders can go in as they come out)
    Open to public 2.30pm until 5.30pm.

Anybody interested please pm me and I will put you on 'the list'.

This is all confirmed! Anyone interested in a stall, please pm me.

Thanks.

Advertisement