Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] Best place to buy wooden flooring

Options
  • 27-11-2006 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I wish to buy high quality semi solid wooden flooring for my apartment at non Rip Off Republic prices. Does anyone out there know of a warehouse on the border, a trader on E-bay or even a trader in the Republic that they would recommend to pull this off? If you have experience of the trader in question that would also be appreciated. (Feel free to PM)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

FrCrilly wrote:
    Hi All,

I wish to buy high quality semi solid wooden flooring for my apartment at non Rip Off Republic prices. Does anyone out there know of a warehouse on the border, a trader on E-bay or even a trader in the Republic that they would recommend to pull this off? If you have experience of the trader in question that would also be appreciated. (Feel free to PM)

Thanks in advance.

Yeah I'd like to now this as well.

Probably worth a post in DIY as well

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

also in the market for this too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try Irwins at Lakeview, Castleblaney (Tel: 042-9740278).
    They have a wide range & are very good value (a couple of years ago anyway).
    The only thing is that they don't deliver so you'd have to arrange your own transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

You would have to qualify what you deem to be "Rip Off" prices.
    I laid Semi Solid Oak flooring for my apartment, size is roughly 810 square foot. The flooring was bought in Brooks on the Naas Road in Dublin at 18 Euro per square yard...if you know anybody in the trade you can get plenty of discounts on the extras i.e underlay, glue etc
    I found that to be excellent value

They often do specials on end of line products

• Registered Users Posts: 34 croucher

I know a man who knows a man that may be able to arrange wooden floors.... I laid one in my own place and one in my parents place.... nice semi solid oak, wide plank (5"), 12mm deep (3mm veneer in case you ever need to sand and varnish), 6ft lengths and supplied all extras (underlay, glue, beading)... did it all for about 32 per square yard, priced floors in all shops and ones similar to this were retailing at about 39-40 per square yard without added extras... reply with thoughts on price, and amount required and I will see what I can do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 worksucks

www.heitonbuckley.ie got mine there good quality and they tell you honestly which are good wearing do you a good price especially if you pay in cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ro-76

I bought solid wood floors for an apartment which can be laid as a floating floor on foam, for 30 euro sq metre from Mulveys in Ranelagh, D6. A friend of mine subsequently bought floors from them for a house in Cork, rented a van to drive them to Cork, and still made a big saving. This was about 2 years ago, but I'm sure they're still pretty competitive.

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

We ordered from floors2go.co.uk. We'll be up in Derry at Xmas and will pick it up and bring it back down. The price difference was amazing. We were able to afford the best quality up there for what would have been cheapo flooring in the ROI. I believe they have a outlet in Newry if you're willing to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

a good rough guide would be:

solid flooring (approx. 18mm thick) €30/yd2

semi-solid (approx. 14mm thick) €20/yd2

laminate (approx. 8mm thick) €10/yd2

ive gotten these prices for:

solid oak
    semi solid oak
    walnut effect laminate

in the last 12 months.

look around, theres a big difference in price between €30/yd2 and €60/yd2

you should work out floor area of room and use price for room to compare (but use per sq. yd price first to compare)

eg. sitting room 6yds x 5 yds = 30 yds. sq
    30 yds. sq x €30 = €900
    30 yds. sq x €60 = €1800 etc....

of course you will have labour on top of this aswell. Again shop around....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

don't know where you are but i just bought rustic maple engineered boards for 17 euro (sq/yd) at floorworld (www.floorworld.ie) including underlay and glue got shops in west and north west worth aiting for their sales in jan though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

FrCrilly wrote:
    Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Hi , I bought around 45sqr yards from a place in Cork, no problem for me as i live there. I dont know what area you are in and whether buying in cork is an option for you but i got a goo deal. I got solid maple for around €26/syrd, most other places were around the €35-€40 mark. What I liked was the fact you could barter a price, get a few quid knocked off. Theres nothing worse then paying exactly what is marked up, I hate it when there is no room for negotiation. There was no problem here though! they have a website aswell!
    http://www.wholesalefloors.ie/

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

don't know where you are but i just bought rustic maple engineered boards for 17 euro (sq/yd) at floorworld (www.floorworld.ie) including underlay and glue got shops in west and north west worth aiting for their sales in jan though

Can you explain what engineered boards are? Is it like laminate?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

engineered boards have a solid wood top and plywood running in opposite directions (at 90 degrees) to prevent warpage so yes they are a laminate. i think shops are trying to distinguish between the cheap laminates that are basically high density fibreboard with a picture of wood on top and a hard plastic coating and stuff that has real wood in it.

laminate
    http://www.floorworld.ie/library/laminates.aspx

semi-solid engineered board

http://www.floorworld.ie/library/engineered.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There was a place in Cork advertising solid wood flooring from e10 per square yard in their New Years sale. Apologies but I can't remember their name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

Tazz T wrote:
    We ordered from floors2go.co.uk. We'll be up in Derry at Xmas and will pick it up and bring it back down. The price difference was amazing. We were able to afford the best quality up there for what would have been cheapo flooring in the ROI. I believe they have a outlet in Newry if you're willing to collect.

Just thought I’d give feedback on this request thread that I started a number of months ago.

I acted on the above comment and ordered from http://www.floors2go.co.uk/ in Newry. I bought a trailer load of laminate flooring which worked out at €17.20 per square mtr. My floor layer complimented me on the quality of the flooring comparing it to laminate flooring he bought at Carpetright at €25 per square mtr. When he sawed ¾ way through a Carpetright plank, the remaining uncut 1/4 would begin to crack. With the considerably cheaper floorstogo plank, it would not crack as it was being cut.

I have to say from my experience so far, I found the above comment to be accurate. Better value for money and a much wider choice of shades to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ainemolloy1

bought some semi solid oak laminate floorboards from brooks in a 'bargain' sale they had. The quality was rubbish , they would not slot together as the tongue and groove was very rough. I spent about 10 hours sanding them down so they would fit at all and even then were very tight. Avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

I ended up buying solid birch in Carpetwise in Tallaght for €24 per square yard. They also took back my unopened excess materials and glue without any question.

I dealt with a guy named Richard and he knew his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 McIDEAS

I Put down Laminate throughout my house, the Trick is to use the Green Fiberboard underlay tiles, makes it soundproof for upstairs, lasts longer and gives a better feel under foot. Got the Lot in Homebase, up the north, saved the amount it cost me to get it installed. If he Gov can shop for their printing and their christmas trees abroad, then why can we go up north. Power to the Price.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

I bought 4" solid white oak flooring from a place called Barretts in Derrylin, Fermanagh @ €22/sq yd. Guy there regularly does € for £ sales, includes sanitary ware & tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Some great prices here too - based in the North

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Looking for rustic oiled engineered floor boards. Saw them in Woodlands in Midleton but at 104/sq yd. Said they will do them for €85...heard of irwins in Castleblaney do good deals...anyone know this type of board and where is good. Also spending 12k on tiles so deals can be done...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 abhaile

Just a word of warning for those purchasing flooring from Irwins, Castleblaney. I recently purchased a solid wooden floor-end of lot. I was left 5yrds sq short of the amount we purchased and cannot finishthe job. They are unwilling to help or help to uncover where the missing timber is- out apart from offering to re-sell me more timber to finish the job.
    We had dealt with them before with no complaints. But on this occasion I have to say it is rare to encounter a business so unwilling to make good a mistake. Their excuse is to say the goods left their warehouse and they are not resposible after that. We used one of their recommended couriers.
    It's an expensive mess. Buyer beware.

Advertisement