Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a motorhome in Ireland.

Options
  • 19-01-2007 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

Anyone got any experience with renting Motorhome/campers in Ireland? I'm interested in taking a few weeks in the summer to rent one of these behemoths and travelling around our fair isle for a nice relaxed break, but I have a few questions that I'm not sure on.
    Is it hard to find places that rent these vehicles, and is it expensive to do so? Are they difficult to drive? I'm a car and a van driver, but oft wonder what its like to be in one of these vehicles. (I'd ideally like to rent one of the big BIG BIG ones :) )
    Are the fuel costs expensive? I'd plan to be on the move quite a lot, so I imagine fuel would be a major factor in planning budgets.

Is it hard to find places to stop for the night? Can you just stop in a car park, or in a nice scenic area, or is that against the law? I worry sometimes if you can only stay in campsites, as my own experience camping (predominantly in Wexford) is that they wont take reservations, and its a case of if there's space when you get there, fine, if not, then you're in trouble. This would be a pain in a motorhome.

And if I may, one last question. Are these vehicles in any way disabled friendly? One person who would be accompanying me is disabled and wheelchair bound. I see sometimes the high ladder-like steps into the larger motorhomes, and this would be completely inaccessible. Is it possible to hire modified vehicles with wheelchair lifts, or does anyone know a way round this?

Thanks all, and good luck with the forum!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Camper rental

As you will see rental rates are quite high. I had a camper a short while ago and never went to a campsite here in Ireland. I usually would park up beside a beach somewhere nice and quiet. It's easy to find somewhere that a caravan would not be able to go but a camper can.

As long as you leave a place as you found it you should never have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

harbour car parks can be useful places to park

there would be no room to manoever a wheelchair inside 99% of motorhomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No experience in renting, but to answer some of your questions:

- disabled friendly:
    Not really, unless specifically adapted to be so (you would have to inquire with the rental company). Campers are by design a bit cramped and you have to squeeze into toilets, climb into beds, etc, etc. The standard camper would definetly not be suitable for a wheelchair, unfortunately

-
    (I'd ideally like to rent one of the big BIG BIG ones )

Be careful what you wish for :D . You probably know yourself that the roads in the more scenic parts of Ireland are not the best. With enough thickheaded determination you will probably get through on most of them, but it won't be fun or relaxing. For an enjoyable driving holiday (and not just up and down the M1:D ) keeping the size in manageable proportions is important ...especially watch your width. A lot of roads (even N roads) in this country are so narrow that two trucks have trouble passing each other. So the wider your camper is, the more sweat beads will form on your forehead.

- fuel costs
    If you stick to cruising rather than racing (after all you're on holidays), most campers will manage on between 10 to 12 Liters / 100 km. (28 - 23 mpg)

- hard to drive
    Not really. Once you have an idea of the size, know how to drive by side mirrors only and remember to watch your overhangs in tight spots ...Bob's your uncle. Some campers have reversing cameras, which makes life easier.

- staying the night
    Lots of nooks and crannys where this is possible without inconveniencing anybody. Technically it's illegal (because of some law or another legislating against itinerants), practically I've never had a problem ...as long as you behave yourself. Respect the signs that say "no overnight camping".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

i rented one last year form a crowd in cork irish campers i think. they were very nice and good rates. if there around your area give them a shout

Here's another rental company that I came across on the net.

http://www.kamp-easimotorhomes.com/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 plennon

Hi,

I rented a campervan for a week from http://www.galwaycampers.com The campervan was brand new (2007) and really cheap to rent.

Well worth it

Thanks

Paul

MOD EDIT
    EVEN THOUGH IT SEEMS YOU ONLY REGISTERED ON BOARDS TO PIMP THIS COMPANY HERE AND ON THE TRAVEL FORUM, I'LL LET IT STAND THIS TIME AS THIS WHOLE THREAD IS A LISTING OF RENTAL COMPANIES ANYWAY ..JUST DON'T DO IT AGAIN, OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RetroRentals

Check out www.retrorentals.ie for rental of brand new..Yes Brand New (imported from Brazil) classic Type 2 VW camper vans. Taking bookings now for 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I got a van from www.bugs4rent.com last year and was very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I see these guys are operating at Shannon Airport. http://www.vanderlust.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mercman

Hi,

I had a look around at some Motor home Hire companies.. the one I settled on eventually was Celtic Campervans. I got a quote online BUT when I read the fine print I saw that the rate did not include insurance - they were charging me 21 Euro + VAT per day additional.

If I did not have an Irish or UK license it was an additional 25%.

All the other companies give rates inclusive of insurance.

So the moral of the story is BEWARE of Celtic Campervans

• Advertisement

mercman wrote: »

So the moral of the story is BEWARE ....

well ..the moral of the story is: read carefully before you sign anything

mercman wrote: »
    Hi,

I had a look around at some Motor home Hire companies.. the one I settled on eventually was Celtic Campervans. I got a quote online BUT when I read the fine print I saw that the rate did not include insurance - they were charging me 21 Euro + VAT per day additional.

If I did not have an Irish or UK license it was an additional 25%.

All the other companies give rates inclusive of insurance.

So the moral of the story is BEWARE of Celtic Campervans

Having rented a lot of vehicles I would say €21+ VAT per day is not bad for a motorhome for insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mercman

I agree with you KOL. Euro 21 + vat is not expensive.. I have rented Motorhomes & cars vehicles all over the world for the last 15 years... My main issue is the fact that it is not included in the original quote you are given online. Insurance to cover against damage to the the hire vehicle is a mandatory charge and should be included in the rental rate you obtain online - This is completely unlike bedding, GPS systems, kitchen kits, and additional insurance to reduce your excess further etc etc which you can choose to add as an extra if you want later.
    I have looked at a few more companies operating in Ireland and they ALL included the rental insurance upfront. Celtic Campervans produce a rate exclusive of insurance to make the offer look appealing - then mention the 21 Euro + Vat & the additional weighting on the following page in a simple one liner....that's my main point. You are NEVER given a final price for the vehicle with the mandatory insurance and you are leaving yourself open. i rented through a broker instead where they included the insurance on their initial quote.

I have just looked at the celtic campers site and got a quote just as you did. It's very visible where they have the insurance charges right underneath the quote. I wouldn't exactly call it fine print.
    Hire Price€360.00Subtotal€360.00VAT @ 13.50% €48.60Total€408.60
    Insurance is charged at €21.00 per day ex. VAT for drivers with a UK or Irish licence. The insurance charge will be payable when you collect your motorhome from us.
    Please note that potential hirers who do not possess an Irish or UK licence can be subject to additional loadings of up to 25% - 50% - Insurance Company policy. See list of country loading rates.
    I do not possess a UK or Irish licence (check this box if applicable).
    The loading charge will not be applied to your card. The loading charge will be payable when you collect your motorhome from us.

But I agree that it would be unpleasant to arrive to collect you camper and not know there was going to be an extra charge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement