Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Wake Up Light With Radio Alarm

Options
  • 18-01-2010 10:12pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

51XKdW8fz3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Link - £49.99 free delivery (rrp £100.00) WONT SHIP TO ROI :mad:

Philips Wake Up Light With Radio Alarm
    Product Features

* The wake-up light wakes you up in a natural way, by light that increases gradually that positively affects energy hormones
    * The light intensity of the Wake-up Light can be set up to 300 Lux for natural awakening
    * Choice of two natural and pleasant wake-up sounds, a bird singing or a friendly beep
    * Digital FM radio: The built-in digital FM radio lets you wake up to your favourite songs or news station every day
    * This wake-up Light makes use of an incandescent lamp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Ive been looking to try one of these to see if they make a difference getting up in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

The wont ship them to Ireland... I've tried before, which is annoying as I've a £50 voucher

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

unklerosco wrote: »
    The wont ship them to Ireland... I've tried before, which is annoying as I've a £50 voucher

Thats a load of *!#*!#. Think its down to being 'unsafe for transportation'

Sorry guys :(

Davy wrote: »
    Thats a load of *!#*!#. Think its down to being 'unsafe for transportation'

Sorry guys :(

Its because there's a lightbulb in it... I had to ring Amazon in America to find that out.. If there was no lightbulb in it they'd send it, which would be great as they cost a stupid amount over here..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Don't know if its because of the light bulb, got a pack of 8 cfls delivered from Amazon before Christmas. There's some strange things they wouldn't ship that I tried - genie head massager, animal shaped screen wipe, animal shaped aromatherapy microwave heat thing. There's been another few things as well:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

check with Richersounds/Philips shop what they will do them for!

This is what they pointed me to...
    The following items can only be delivered to addresses within the UK - children's clothing and car seats, blank media items, such as CDs, DVDs and MP3 players, safety equipment and medicines. Light bulbs and TV equipment cannot be shipped to Ireland (Republic of).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I have had LED light bulbs shipped here from Amazon recently (Gu10 downlights) - :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey hey,

I got this at the weekend
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Wake-Up-Light-HF3475-01/dp/B002BA5FB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1263894685&sr=8-1-spell

The lamp quoted originally has a few problems with it, see reviews on amazon. There is a new Philips lamp with an iPod dock so it seems they're selling off the old ones.

I got it delivered to a friend in the UK and picked it up at the weekend, its stoopid that they don't deliver to Ireland, they wouldn't deliver a set of headphones either! Their policy seems quite random.

I've jumped out of bed at half 8 the last 2 mornings using this lamp, normaly I struggle out of bed around lunch time so it seems to work, or maybe it's the placebo effect telling me it works after paying nearly €100 for a bulb and a dimmer switch!

There are a few threads of how to get UK only stuff shipped to Ireland. I think one was TransGlobalExpress. You get your stuff shipped to the courier and for about 20 quid they'll ship to you. Think there is a place in Belfast too.

If anyones interested I'll post again in a few days with a review of the lamp, but after 2 days it works for me!

Go Team!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Update:

After a week or so of using this, it does work! You do wake up more refreshed and alert. For me this is worth the money as I struggle out of bed most mornings. Still very expensive tho, but worth the money if you just cant get up!!

Go Team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Update:

After a week or so of using this, it does work! You do wake up more refreshed and alert. For me this is worth the money as I struggle out of bed most mornings. Still very expensive tho, but worth the money if you just cant get up!!

Go Team!

If you haven't already... then invest in some kids.
    A sure fire way of getting LESS sleep and having to get out of bed in the morning. As for feeling more refreshed and alert... well that's a whole different ballgame.

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Those things are a very long-term investment, though!

Are these alarm clocks only relevant to people who have curtains that blackout all light? I'm dubious about the science. :pac:

Dades wrote: »
    Are these alarm clocks only relevant to people who have curtains that blackout all light? I'm dubious about the science. :pac:

I doubt they're much use during the summer.. I sleep with my curtains open so I wake when its bright out.. Only prob is, its dark when I'm meant to be awake. Hense I'm always late for working during the winter :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I was reading this thread and was seeing where I could get it in Ireland.
    Argos have the second one mentioned in this thread.
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500002201&langId=-1&searchTerms=HF3475+
    With €6 off.
    For €168.99 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

This is the current list that the USPS uses to determine individual countries mailing conditions, looks like it needs to be updated:D
    Country Conditions for Mailing — Ireland
    (Eire)

Prohibitions (130)

Arms and weapons.

Articles bearing false trademarks or lacking the indication of origin required by the Irish regulations.

Coins minted in a foreign country, except gold and silver; false or counterfeit coins.

Hay, straw, including articles made of straw.

Human remains.

Live plants and animals.

Peat moss litter except under license.

Prison-made goods.

Safety fuses; fireworks.

Tobacco, cigars or cigarettes packed with other articles. Cut and compressed, sweetened, or adulterated tobacco.

Restrictions

Carbon paper, except for typewriter carbon paper that must be described on the customs declaration as follows: “Typewriter carbon paper coated with wax and containing no oxidizable or fatty substances.”

Circulars or advertisements relating to the prevention or treatment of venereal disease must be addressed to physicians or pharmacists.

Import licensing information is contained in the Irish Customs and Excise Tariff, which may be obtained from the Secretary, Revenue Commissioners, Dublin Castle, Dublin 2 and from the Government Publications Sales Office, GPO Arcade, Dublin 1.

Importation of tea is subject to certain customs regulations.

Many other goods, including certain fruit, vegetables and other foodstuffs, plants and seeds, and certain pharmaceutical products are subject to special regulations.

Margarine, skimmed milk, and other diluted or adulterated foodstuffs must be suitably labeled.

Oiled or varnished cloth or similar articles must be accompanied by a certificate as follows: “The oilcloth or similar articles in this parcel have been stored at a temperature of 140ºF until completely dried, and then cured for at least a month before packing.” Only in Priority Mail International parcels.

The following goods are subject to quota restrictions and require an import license: boots and shoes, brushes, electric lamp bulbs, screws, tapered thread; felt hats and caps for women and girls; brushes and mops; wheaten flour and any commodity or product of wheat; rubber proofed wearing apparel; sparking plugs and component parts; silk and artificial silk hose; and certain woven fabrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Erm why is this gadget so good? It seems expensive in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Digital timer plug + bedside lamp = much cheaper !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Digital timer plug + bedside lamp = much cheaper !

Won't dim like this does, it will just turn on full at the set time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I was reading this thread and was seeing where I could get it in Ireland.
    Argos have the second one mentioned in this thread.
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500002201&langId=-1&searchTerms=HF3475+
    With €6 off.
    For €168.99 :(

Do argos have a good return policy? Some places will let you bring back a product after 14 days if you are not satisfied. With something like this you really would want to be sure it would help before splashing out that kinda of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

Both the HF3433 and the HF3475 can be bought from www.sad.co.uk - they charge £25 courier delivery to the ROI but even with this they're both cheaper than buying in the ROI. The HF3433 is around €104 and the HF3475 is around €126 - both costs include the delivery cost.

• Advertisement

I got mine yesterday from Amazon(via my office in the UK), its not as big as I thought and its a much much better way of waking up consiering I've been waking up to a mobile phone alarm for the last 2 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

unklerosco wrote: »
    I got mine yesterday from Amazon(via my office in the UK), its not as big as I thought and its a much much better way of waking up consiering I've been waking up to a mobile phone alarm for the last 2 years...

Let us know how you get on with it. I am intrigued by the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Just looking at Pixmania and they have several versions of this type of light, cheapest here:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1090795/art/tokai/lre-154-bedside-lamp-alar.html
    Post is about €14.
    They have several other types which are more expensive but still at a good price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This crowd in dublin have them for €99. They will deliver nationwide or can collect from them if you prefer and pay then. Not as cheap as amazon though :(

http://www.brighterday.ie/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=38

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Mr Velo wrote: »

Amazon won't ship them to Ireland.

Advertisement