Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Church moves Paddys Day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

Oh Dear God

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Heard that on the radio alright, there was some quote from the Church though along the lines of that it is only a matter of procedure to do with holy week. Who cares really? The festivals will still be on the 17th, and people will still not be going to church. Would anyone have noticed if they hadn't said anything? Hardly merits a thread :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No, it's not.

Like it or not, St Patrick's Day is not some Oirish Goonery with leprechaun hats and orange beards and discoloured beer day, it's a Church Holiday.

See that 'St' there, that's for SAINT. They get to decide when to celebrate their
    Saint's day. Not you, not Bertie, not Bush, but the church.

I'm no Christian either, I just think ridiculous statements like this are stupid.

I mean what the fúck difference does it make to you what date it is? They've moved from a Monday to a Saturday anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Tazzle wrote:
    Who cares really? The festivals will still be on the 17th anything?

i doubt it, they will be on the 15th, whats the point of having a patric's day featival, if it is not on Patric's day? also, will that monday be a bank holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

i doubt it, they will be on the 15th
    No they wont. The parade is probably 40% organised already, they cannot ask performers to reschedule flights,hotels etc. Its lunacy. This is a religious matter, not a festival one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

i doubt it, they will be on the 15th, whats the point of having a patric's day featival, if it is not on Patric's day? also, will that monday be a bank holiday?

The organisers of the St Patricks day festival in Dublin said it will still be taking place on the 17th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

also, will that monday be a bank holiday?

Fcuk the rest of it ! This is the real question (and I believe the answer is yes)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Pah, St. Patrick's day isn't a day, it's a state of mind. As long as you hold it in your heart, everyday is St. Patrick's day!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fcuk the rest of it ! This is the real question (and I believe the answer is yes)

Hope so now that would be sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

It was on a saturday this year and the monday was the bank holiday so i didn't see it being any different next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

They couldn't by any chance have it twice in one year and move it to this Saturday. I'd quite like Monday off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

seansouth wrote:
    it's a Church Holiday.
    It's also a Public Holiday, which the Church have no say in moving. I'd imagine the public holiday will still be March 17th, and the parades will still be the same day. Just the Church's St. Patrick's Day will move to the Saturday before.

Does the Church mark St. Patrick's Day with anything special, mass perhaps? I've never noticed to be honest, and moving the religious part will probably make no difference to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What are you people whinging about!?! There's now 2 days to go and get pissed during the day, both within 5 days of each other!!! I think this is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Duggy747 wrote:
    What are you people whinging about!?! There's now 2 days to go and get pissed during the day, both within 5 days of each other!!! I think this is great!

You see ! It's this glass half full attidude we need more of ! Bravo sir ! Bravo ! ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

i doubt it, they will be on the 15th, whats the point of having a patric's day featival, if it is not on Patric's day? also, will that monday be a bank holiday?[/QUOTE]

This is what I want to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

do I still get the 17th off school though

that's all that matters really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

seansouth wrote:
    They get to decide when to celebrate their
    Saint's day. Not you, not Bertie, not Bush, but the church.

Actually I do get to decide, Nobody can tell me when to let Jesus into my heart!!!!! Not you, not the pope, not George Michael, not even Jesus!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

This Is Madness!

tba wrote:
    Actually I do get to decide, Nobody can tell me when to let Jesus into my heart!!!!! Not you, not the pope, not George Michael, not even Jesus!
    What?

He's a Saint of The Catholic Church.

Of course they get to decide when to celebrate his day.

It is up to you if you wish to join in the celebration.

Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!!!

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    What?

He's a Saint of The Catholic Church.

Of course they get to decide when to celebrate his day.

It is up to you if you wish to join in the celebration.

Nuh uh, they should like, totally put it to a vote or something.

They did, they elected a pope, who gets to make all the decisions, or else delegates the decision making to some minions.

It's not a democracy.

Ok so you are a no vote then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I'm going to stay drunk from the 15th to the 22nd to cover all days just in case. It's what St. Patrick would have wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The Church are retarded as usual.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

seansouth wrote:
    They did, they elected a pope, who gets to make all the decisions, or else delegates the decision making to some minions.
    He doesn't get to decide which day we all get go out an get pissed on though, and that is still going to be the 17th regardless of what the bloke in the silly hat thinks. That day being a public holiday is no longer anything to do with the church and they would no longer have enough influence over the likes of Diageo as to when they put the green colouring in their pints.

I've never had a green pint, is it minty?

robinph wrote:
    He doesn't get to decide which day we all get go out an get pissed on though, and that is still going to be the 17th regardless of what the bloke in the silly hat thinks. That day being a public holiday is no longer anything to do with the church and they would no longer have enough influence over the likes of Diageo as to when they put the green colouring in their pints.
    WTF?

St Patrick's Day is when the church decides it is going to be.

The fact that it co-incides with a Public Holiday is just that at this stage, co-incidence.

In anyway, I don't see why people have their knickers in twist, it's not going to affect anything. The monday will still be the Public holiday, as it would have been.

There is nothing different, it just means we have Paddy's day on the Saturday. So fúcking what?

Who actually cares?

The world won't end, no one dies. Get over it ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    Who actually cares?
    The world won't end, no one dies. Get over it ffs.

I care!!!!

This is my battle, we have no wars to fight, no cause to follow like our fathers, uncles and masculine aunts, we need this. Sure people like you want to make us ashamed to speak out against the rampant bureaucracy of the church, but we will cut through the red tape and restore Paddys day to the 17th!!!

WHO IS WITH ME!!!!

FREEDOMMMMMM!!!!

Advertisement