Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog training

Options
  • 22-12-2007 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has any experience or tips on dog training for me? I have a 7yr old Westie and would love to try and rid her of some of her bad habits - or do you think she's too old to start training?
    Any help in advance is much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Have you had her for the whole 7 years or did she just come into your care?

In the first case, you need to sit down and have a hard think what about your behaviour allowed her to develop those habits in the first place.:D and then change that.

In the second case, it would be important that you don't give in to her bad habits, but give her clear signals that this is not the way things work in your house.

Either way, you start small with one particular "method" that works a treat to get her attention and makes her realise that she is not in command.

The "method" is called "NILIF" or "nothing in life is free" :D
    Whatever it is she wants from you, you make her "work" for it. No more food, toys, play, doors opened, leads attached, etc before she follows a simple command. Doesn't have to be much, a simple "sit" or "look at me" or "here" will do. Not always the same command either, but vary them. Make the command an easy one to follow, according to the situation you're in, and only give it when there is a good chance of it bing obeyed (no point in shouting "here" if she is miles away with no intention to come)

Once you have her attention you can then get into the finer details of what is and what isn't acceptable.

Be consistent, be precise, be calm but firm and stick to a routine.

You should start seeing some results fairly quickly while other issues may need some more prolonged work, but it's entirely do-able.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

peasant wrote: »
    Have you had her for the whole 7 years or did she just come into your care?

In the first case, you need to sit down and have a hard think what about your behaviour allowed her to develop those habits in the first place.:D and then change that.

In the second case, it would be important that you don't give in to her bad habits, but give her clear signals that this is not the way things work in your house.

Either way, you start small with one particular "method" that works a treat to get her attention and makes her realise that she is not in command.

The "method" is called "NILIF" or "nothing in life is free" :D
    Whatever it is she wants from you, you make her "work" for it. No more food, toys, play, doors opened, leads attached, etc before she follows a simple command. Doesn't have to be much, a simple "sit" or "look at me" or "here" will do. Not always the same command either, but vary them. Make the command an easy one to follow, according to the situation you're in, and only give it when there is a good chance of it bing obeyed (no point in shouting "here" if she is miles away with no intention to come)

Once you have her attention you can then get into the finer details of what is and what isn't acceptable.

Be consistent, be precise, be calm but firm and stick to a routine.

You should start seeing some results fairly quickly while other issues may need some more prolonged work, but it's entirely do-able.

Hey peasant,
    Thanks for replying. Yeah we've had her since she was a pup and I know we're guilty of letting her away with things she shouldn't have been able to do. So hard not to give in sometimes!
    I'll definitely try out what you've suggested - any more tips are welcome :)

Which "bad habits" in particular need changing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

When we have her on the lead she goes pretty hyper, biting it and barking and very hard to control. Also one night a while back there was a cat outside our back door and ever since when we open the door she tends to attack it!

ohhhkay ...these are somewhat more difficult :D

the following may work:

1) walking on the lead mannerly

First I would suggest, that you change you collar/lead setup. Get her a nice harness (it is Christmas after all) where the lead attaches to the back rather than the neck. This will make it more difficult to bite the lead ..plus it's new, so new rules apply.

The rules are simple ...act up - walk over!

When she pulls on the lead, you stop and only move again when the lead is slack.

When she bites the lead, you scoop her up and take her home again. (obviously only when it happens right outside your door/car, otherwise tell her "no" and only move on when she stops)

Now ...this will not be easy and will take quite some time and patience. And every time you let her disgress, you can start again ...so it is not an easy excercise when there is time pressure to get the walk done and over with.

The first few times you may only get as far as a few steps outside your door before you have to turn around:D

Now, during the holidays, with more time on your hands may be a good time to start though.

2) stopping her chasing the cat

You start off with putting her on the lead when letting her out back. When she intends to start chasing (even before she starts running) you tell her "no" and hold the lead tight. If she starts running anyway, you take her back in.

Eventually she will figure it out and be well behaved while on the lead. (But not off lead ...she's not stupid)

Now you change over to a long bit of washing line fixed to her harness. You pretend the line is not there and let her out. As sooon as she starts running after the cat, you say "no", stomp on the line and stop her dead in her tracks.

If you time it right, the "no" will come at the same time as the very apbrupt halt to her run. This should teach her, that no means no ...even when you're a good bit away (and that you are almighty and better be obeyed :D)

Once again, this is a loong excercise and may have to be repeated for quite some time before it sinks in.

ohh ...and I forgot:
    The best thing to counteract a hyper and excited dog ....is a calm, quiet and relaxed owner !
    (so ...no shouting, no screeching, no hectic, no speeches ...just "no" and home we go)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What Peasant said.

A good harness is the Pleasure Walker, which (if in Dublin) you can get in Breffni House pet shop in Windy Arbour (between Dundrum and Milltown), near the top of Bird Avenue.

It has a collar with two big rings on the back and two small rings on the front. The harness part threads through the back rings, down behind the front legs and up to the front rings at the throat.

Wearing this harness for walks seems to soothe dogs for some reason.

I also found, when my dog was at this stage, that just ignoring the nonsense and clicking and slapping the thigh and "OK, let's go, walkies!" tended to concentrate her mind on The Hunt, which is what a walk is in the dog mind.

Advertisement