Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new UL music tech course

Options
  • 30-09-2005 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

heard this was starting

next year but i don't have the points for it.. i did however do a course in dublin in sound engineering and music tech and got a diploma and two city and guilds qualifications.. would this be enough to get me in there?

apaprently lit are doing a music tech course next but they don't care about what i did last year and keep banging on about the points i got in the leaving..

anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Jaysus that's well handy...(hopefully) doing my masters in sound tech in UL...link here

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

are ya doing that masters?? by any chance were u out with some of your class last night?? i was out with some of them in the lodge. im friends with derek and roisin. if you were, did you go to the house after with the guy playing the sax??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Sorry mate wrong guy, i will be doin the masters, only in 2nd year of a comp sys degree now... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

MSc Music Technology - think carefully about this one... why do you want to do it? Do you love Electroacoustic music and composing electronica? If not, then you might want to rethink this... It is a great course, I finished it last year and loved it... but loads in the class hated it. Be sure you know exactly what the course is about before you sign up dont do it just cos you think it sounds cool and might be something you are interested in. Also it is NOT a SOUND ENGINEERING course.. it is covered as a subject, but only a small module.

The undergrad course promises to be really really interesting... if I could start all over again...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

are ya doing that masters?? by any chance were u out with some of your class last night?? i was out with some of them in the lodge. im friends with derek and roisin. if you were, did you go to the house after with the guy playing the sax??

I was there! Which one were you?

Yeah I'm doing the masters in music tech at the moment. tis fun fun fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

440Hz wrote:
    MSc Music Technology - think carefully about this one... why do you want to do it? Do you love Electroacoustic music and composing electronica? If not, then you might want to rethink this... It is a great course, I finished it last year and loved it... but loads in the class hated it. Be sure you know exactly what the course is about before you sign up dont do it just cos you think it sounds cool and might be something you are interested in. Also it is NOT a SOUND ENGINEERING course.. it is covered as a subject, but only a small module.

The undergrad course promises to be really really interesting... if I could start all over again...

i did soudengineering and a bit of music technology last year and decided music tech is the way i wanna go.. sitting in a cramped studio with a load of rockers playing out of key doesn't appeal to me

Are you looking to do the undergrad or the masters? Masters - If you are into composition you will love the course. Essentially, you cover a whole load of modules during the year like Acoustics, Psychoacoustics, Studio Recording, Programming Music Systems etc, and then when it comes to your project you decided if you wanna do the MA (composition) or MSc (techy project). It is a really great course when you know what to expect. I would imagine the undergrad will be along the same lines... the lecturers are great so I would imagine they will put a fairly good programme together.

Sunn wrote:
    i did however do a course in dublin in sound engineering and music tech and got a diploma and two city and guilds qualifications.. would this be enough to get me in there?

apaprently lit are doing a music tech course next but they don't care about what i did last year and keep banging on about the points i got in the leaving..

anyone know anything about this?

I would imagine the undergrad admissions will be based soley on CAO, unless you are a mature student... the Masters is by interview, so you would almost certainly get in there. Have you a degree already?

yeah i wanna do the undergrad course..

but was just worried they might judge me on my leaving cert qualifications rather than what i did last year... i don't have the requirments solely on my LC achievments...

They're fairly flexible about who they let in, for the masters course anyway. I got in without an honours degree, which is supposed to be a requirement. They let me submit a portfolio instead, and hey presto, i'm in :)

• Advertisement

must ring them so.. nice one for the help people

tried ringing the course director niall griffith but could get through and just got bounced around untill i got cut off.. also tried emailing him to no reply.hhmmm

whats the number to reception of ul..

Where did you get the name of Niall Griffith as course director from? thats wrong... it was Donncha O'Maidin but he has left now... the guy who want is Jurgen Simpson he is the course director for the masters and most likely will be the one for undergrad too.

Hope that helps.

http://www.ul.ie/admissions/newprospectus/Undergraduate/colleges/informatics/LM114.shtml

very bottom of page.. you would have a number for reception would you

thanks for the quick reply

University of Limerick 061 202700

nice one

..they only accept people on the basis of points for the undergrad course ..

they won't even look at my other qualifications.. gutted now..

probably won't have enough points for it so i will have to redo the leaving.. massive step down. :(

Yeah i thought as much. Really sorry about that. When did you do the leaving? Just finished? IS there any course that you might like to do that you have the points for? Arts and music? computers? then you could do the masters... if the thought of repeating the LC really gets you down. who were you talking to?
    what are the points out of interest?

i did the leaving in 04, went to place called sound training centre dublin after that and got my diploma and city & guilds qualifications.. was talking to someone in admissions office and they don't know the final points but i know i won't have enough cos i did all pass subjects (got mostly b1's and a's but doubt it will be enough) which kinda rules me out of other multimedia & technology subjects..

God knows what I'll do now

I'm sure there are multimedia undergrad courses in a load of the ITs that you cld pick... and then do the masters here after that. Dont give up... there are always ways around these things.... keep repeating as the last resort and see what your other options are ... you ALWAYS have choices. Sides, sounds like you did well, ok with pass subjects you might not meet the min req maths wise for the undergrad here, but you still did well.

• Advertisement

ah yeah its not over by a long shot... but it is really disheartening.. esp when you know what you want to do with your life.

cheers

Well knowing what you want to do is always the hardest part... I am sure things will work out for you Sunn. Just be positive and consider all your options" G'luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Anyone else with info about the Masters course? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Sunn, you can apply through the CAO on the basis of exams other than the LC! Check out the application form and see if your diploma allows you to apply this way.. as far as I know places are reserved in most/all of undergrad courses for those transferring upwards from levels 5 and 6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

nice bump there clutch actually 2 years to the day the last post was :p

sry iv nutin on the masters

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

It was a good bump. I didn't even find the thread thru boards but it came up in google :). thats some coincidence about 2 years though

ClutchIt, I finished the Masters course just over a year ago. Feel free to ask my any questions in thread or PM me if you prefer, I'd be happy to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I did the leaving last year and didn't get enough points to do MMPT so i'm repeating. I want to go into the whole recording thing and doing sound for bands and stuff. Is this the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

mars bar wrote: »
    I did the leaving last year and didn't get enough points to do MMPT so i'm repeating. I want to go into the whole recording thing and doing sound for bands and stuff. Is this the way to go?

yes but as along as u realise that the sad fact is that music is a hobby in ireland and making enough to live off in ireland is next to impossible. by all means go for it just dont go for it naively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah...
    My friend is doing it and he doesn't recommend it, the students(not all of course) are not happy with it. However the students doing Music Technology in LIT are much happier in their course...
    But it's as dead as a dodo over in the LIT forum!!

Advertisement