Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 6 diesel fuel pump

Options
  • 11-02-2009 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've a 03 Mazda 6 diesel that's been cutting out on me while the car is running, it's like i'm sitting at traffic lights or something and next it'll just die, most times it'll start up again no problem but i might have to keep the revs up to keep it going. So i got it serviced and got the timing belt done and all was great for 2 or 3 weeks and now it's started happening again, last time i also noticed that when i got up to 2500 to 3000 revs it lacked the power it usually does have in this range.

So i done a bit of research and it seems it's a fuel pump problem, just wondering does anyone know how big a job this is and roughly how much it'll cost ? Maybe someone here had the same problem ? Apparently it's common on my type of car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

oh dear, time to join the queue.......

Why you should never buy a Mazda diesel.......

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

I have . I know of someone else in Galway who just had their pump done. Eur 2200. :eek:

I'd sell you my whole car for 1300 - the pump is the best bit, on mine......:D

There's a co in the UK, Feather Diesel, who are experts in fubar'd Mazda pumps......

Good luck !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

galwaytt wrote: »
    oh dear, time to join the queue.......

Why you should never buy a Mazda diesel.......

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

I have . I know of someone else in Galway who just had their pump done. Eur 2200. :eek:

I'd sell you my whole car for 1300 - the pump is the best bit, on mine......:D

There's a co in the UK, Feather Diesel, who are experts in fubar'd Mazda pumps......

Good luck !

Super reading them threads, think i'll avoid common rail engines from now on. That €2200 was that for a new pump or a recon the existing one ?

Not all common rail !! Just Mazda ones !

My current one - Saab 9-3 150bhp is fabulous !

No, that wasn't a new one.........:o shocking, I know......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'm willing to bet all this baloney about the Mazda engines is blown way out of proportion. Chances are it's a problem with a valve in the pump. A good Mazda mechanic will diagnose and replace same for about €200 or so. It'll be good as new. The only problem with these engines seems to be that the fuel filter is too small, so by right with the shyte diesel that's everywhere you're best bet is to replace it every service. Probably good advice for all modern diesels.

Seen your posts on that thread Galway. I had a quick look at saab 93s on honestjohn and it listed a lot of problems with them ?

Know any dealers that'll take a 6 as a trade in ?

Also would u know if say there's a HP agreement on a car can u still trade it in, pay the difference and keep paying the Hp even though u don't own the car anymore ?

• Advertisement

Biro

If u read the links Galway posted you'll see that it doesn't seem to be blown outta proportion and that there doesn't seem to be many good Mazda mechanics out there !

Now if u could tell me where i could get this fixed for 200 quid i'd be grateful to say the least !

Zorba wrote: »
    Biro

If u read the links Galway posted you'll see that it doesn't seem to be blown outta proportion and that there doesn't seem to be many good Mazda mechanics out there !

Now if u could tell me where i could get this fixed for 200 quid i'd be grateful to say the least !

Mazda dealer in Sligo.
    If you dig deep enough you'll find tales of woe from almost every car out there. If there's 50 cases in a million cars, but all you read are those 50 cases then you'll think they're all fecked. I know a person with a Saab 93 with no end of problems, and will never buy another. I also know someone with a Vectra, same 1.9 engine, also riddled with problems, left him at the side of the road. If you ask those two people they'll scare you away from the very engine Galway is advocating, and I actually like that engine too, it was a great unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i was considering getting a 2L deisel 2008 Mazda 6 but it storys like this and what may or may not be blown out of proportion reports (mainly on honestjohns) that have made me seriously reconsider. That and the recession but the bad deisel engine reports gave me pause 1st! Would be more likely to go for a petrol model ( but no saving on road tax there) or a 06\07 a4 or 320d if i do change car this year

Scruff wrote: »
    i was considering getting a 2L deisel 2008 Mazda 6 but it storys like this and what may or may not be blown out of proportion reports (mainly on honestjohns) that have made me seriously reconsider. That and the recession but the bad deisel engine reports gave me pause 1st! Would be more likely to go for a petrol model ( but no saving on road tax there) or a 06\07 a4 or 320d if i do change car this year

A4's are worse, and there are 320d horror stories too. Basically, these days if you want a reliable car, buy a N/A petrol.

Biro wrote: »
    Mazda dealer in Sligo.

Have u heard of them fixing this problem for 200 quid ? Do they do it onsite or send the pump away ?

Them 320d's are well known for turbo failures in or around 2k for a new turbo, was enough to put me off !

• Advertisement

Have u heard of them fixing this problem for 200 quid ? Do they do it onsite or send the pump away ?

It's a valve that's usually the problem. But you'll need to bring it in, he'll need to diagnose it for sure, and then send away for the valve if that's definately the case with yours. When it comes in they'll change it and you'll be winning hopefully!

Mazda dealer in Sligo.
    If you dig deep enough you'll find tales of woe from almost every car out there. If there's 50 cases in a million cars, but all you read are those 50 cases then you'll think they're all fecked. I know a person with a Saab 93 with no end of problems, and will never buy another. I also know someone with a Vectra, same 1.9 engine, also riddled with problems, left him at the side of the road. If you ask those two people they'll scare you away from the very engine Galway is advocating, and I actually like that engine too, it was a great unit.

You're mixing up what I said - I'm not advocating the Saab over the Mazda. What I said is, there are are many fine common rail diesels out there, the Saab I now have being just one of them.

True, all cars have a % of lemons - but whether an engine has a propensity for the odd problem - an injector, settings, or EGR valve (which, btw, cost only £80 for my 1.9), or even a turbo (320d's spring to mind..) but the issue with the Mazda engine is of a much higher order. For a start, there's an awful lot more than 50 cases. And, that RF diesel engine is now known to have a propensity for crankshaft (no. 4 b/end) and DMF issues, on top of pump problems. The incidence, amongs the population, may be low, but the problem is the cost of the repair. Mazda continue to stick their head in the sand on it, denying any issue, but if you're buyer, are you prepared to be the one unlucky guy, and get hit with a 2k-5k repair bill ? A 500 bill, maybe, but a 2k-5k one ? -I know I'm not.

I should point out, I have a Mazda 1.6 petrol (1990 MX-5), and it is the complete opposite - it is the epitome of reliability, and I also did own a 2.0 petrol 626 a few year ago - again, a great car. But I thought this would extend to their diesels. Obviously, and Eur 13,500 later, it doesn't. The only issue in the Mazda range, is this one incarnation of Diesel - as the market shows, the Japanese just don't have diesel down pat, yet. VAG, BeeEmm, Fiat/GM, PSA, Renault all make the leading diesels.

Seeing as you're a Mazda dealer, though you might clarify for the poster that there isn't a snowballs chance in hell of getting a pump done for Eur200. As I mentioned, one of my clients (also a long-suffering Mazda diesel owner), has just forked out Eur2200 for that repair.

Now: opportunity for you: if you'll give me a scrappage deal on my 02 Mazda, I might buy a 2, or 3. But bloomin' petrol only, mind !! :D

Ode To The Motorist

I'm not a Mazda dealer, I'm just someone who had a problem with a Mazda diesel similar to the OP, and happened to find a dealer who knew what he was doing and found the valve as the source of the problem and fixed it. No more problem.
    I could have believed the hype on the internet with everyone complaining and writing essays about how shyte an engine it is and panicked and gone and replaced the bottom end and cost myself a fortune, but instead I found a dealer who knew what he was at. I wonder how many people with a Mazda diesel cutting out on them had someone think it was "the problem" and have had to spend thousands instead of potentially a few hundred?
    I still don't believe there's the massive problem you're convinced there is. I know a few people with the same engine and zero problems. Only problem I've known is mine, and if I were to believe the hype I'd be gone grey. My problem was easy and relatively inexpensive to fix.

I can say you were lucky. The engine from my car is sitting in my garage, sans sump and I can guarantee you my c/shaft is fubar'd - Mazda, and two independant engine remanufacturers told me directly that I cannot regrind the crank and use u/s shells for that engine.

Ode To The Motorist

I can say you were lucky. The engine from my car is sitting in my garage, sans sump and I can guarantee you my c/shaft is fubar'd - Mazda, and two independant engine remanufacturers told me directly that I cannot regrind the crank and use u/s shells for that engine.

I could say that you were unlucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Do you think that they "made up " the stories on Honest John? I think not. Well, not that many anyway.
    Anyway, there seems to be a lot of faults with the Mazda diesel and that is what I generally guage the HJ web site info on.
    If you take the best selling car - lets say the Golf, or whatever, then of course you are going to get all kinds of reports of failures and such, about the Golf car on the HJ website. However, they sold by the millions and you are bound to get issues with different manufacturing plants all over the place.
    Now, the Mazda diesel, is not the most common engine in the world and has shyte load of complaints about serious failures. Not just faulty door handles or squeaky windows, but engine failures. Big ones.
    By engine failure, I mean major component failure, which makes the reapir too costly. €2200 being too rich for me too btw.

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Do you think that they "made up " the stories on Honest John? I think not. Well, not that many anyway.
    Anyway, there seems to be a lot of faults with the Mazda diesel and that is what I generally guage the HJ web site info on.
    If you take the best selling car - lets say the Golf, or whatever, then of course you are going to get all kinds of reports of failures and such, about the Golf car on the HJ website. However, they sold by the millions and you are bound to get issues with different manufacturing plants all over the place.
    Now, the Mazda diesel, is not the most common engine in the world and has shyte load of complaints about serious failures. Not just faulty door handles or squeaky windows, but engine failures. Big ones.
    By engine failure, I mean major component failure, which makes the reapir too costly. €2200 being too rich for me too btw.

I'm not saying anyone made up stories. I take the like of honest john with a pinch of salt. Fanboys will be fanboys and people with a set against a particular car will have a set against it. There are injectors failing on various diesels too at almost a grand a go, times 4.
    You're on here spouting crap against my car, making sure I can't sell it when it comes time for me to upgrade to anyone now for a fault that you read about somewhere. You're doing no favours for anyone with your scaremongering crap. Go believe honest john if you want. You've no place on this thread as you don't or haven't owned a Mazda 6 diesel, yet you feel the need to come on and make sure everyone knows that they're crap cause that's what you read.

cashmni1 wrote: »

Anyway - you'll spend €3000 more on a Golf to spare you €2,200 on a Mazda that you probably won't have to spend, and have to spend money fixing the Golf anyway when it does go wrong.

Hmmm seems there's be a lot of activity on this subject while i was out today !

Rang the Mazda dealer in Sligo that Biro mentioned and asked for the product number for the fuel pump, and he asked what the problem with it was, so i told him what was happening and he said it's the suction valve that needs replacing and we get them from a place in Cavan and it'll cost no more than €220. He even gave me the address of the place in Cavan and a phone number for them.

So i rang my local independant garage and he's not to sure about the problem cos he's never come across it before and the local Mazda dealer is apparently scratching their heads about it too.

So i'm gonna ring the place in Cavan tomorrow and see if they can do the job for me cos it's closer to me, if not i've no problems driving the car over to Sligo.

The nice man in Sligo said that because my car can run without this problem happening for a few day/weeks means the whole pump isn't buggered, i'm sure if i leave it it won't be long before it is and it costs me 2000 odd quid.

So thanks very much to Biro for pointing me in the direction of a good Mazda dealer, seems the local ones around my area have a bit to learn about their cars. One other thing Biro what year is your car and how many miles have u done on the new suction valves ?

Anyway - you'll spend €3000 more on a Golf to spare you €2,200 on a Mazda that you probably won't have to spend, and have to spend money fixing the Golf anyway when it does go wrong.

True !!

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

Hmmm seems there's be a lot of activity on this subject while i was out today !

Rang the Mazda dealer in Sligo that Biro mentioned and asked for the product number for the fuel pump, and he asked what the problem with it was, so i told him what was happening and he said it's the suction valve that needs replacing and we get them from a place in Cavan and it'll cost no more than €220. He even gave me the address of the place in Cavan and a phone number for them.

So i rang my local independant garage and he's not to sure about the problem cos he's never come across it before and the local Mazda dealer is apparently scratching their heads about it too.

So i'm gonna ring the place in Cavan tomorrow and see if they can do the job for me cos it's closer to me, if not i've no problems driving the car over to Sligo.

The nice man in Sligo said that because my car can run without this problem happening for a few day/weeks means the whole pump isn't buggered, i'm sure if i leave it it won't be long before it is and it costs me 2000 odd quid.

So thanks very much to Biro for pointing me in the direction of a good Mazda dealer, seems the local ones around my area have a bit to learn about their cars. One other thing Biro what year is your car and how many miles have u done on the new suction valves ?
    It's hard to get a good main dealer of any make these days.

True !!

And I certainly know which I'd rather on a tight twisty road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Just found these guys in the uk, they'll sell you a replacement DENSO solenoid valve for €150 delivered! Then all you have to do is get it fitted, apparently a 20 minute job!

Almost all motoring threads say this will fix this prob on diesel mazda 6, way cheaper than going to dealer.

I'll post the results!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 catflappy

My Mazda 6 had to have a new engine at about 18 months old - the turbo threaded and took out the engine, so both had to be replaced. Now im having problems with it cutting out, sometimes it runs with no problems for weeks at a time and other times its cutting out 2 or 3 times within a few miles...... it's getting mighty scary on corners as I dont really have the strength to steer it without the power steering - my local Mazda dealership think it's the pump and have quoted me about £2000.....ouch! So I have just had a lovely conversation with the people at Feather Diesel and it's going in tomorrow - he seems to think its the valve and has quoted me £305 + vat and only a 2 hour wait. Fingers crossed and I will update soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 catflappy

All sorted out for about £360 - just to stir a little trouble, I phoned up Mazda and asked them for their advice again with a faulty suction valve, they again told me that the only option was to replace the whole pump. I have spoken with Mazda UK and made an official complaint about the fact that their dealerships are holding people to ransom by insisting that there is no other option than full fuel pump replacement. I've also asked them why Mazda have not done a recall on the faulty valve seen as so many people have come across problems with them. I will post their reply when I receive one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement