Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Alienware M11x Released

Options
  • 09-02-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

http://netbooked.net/blog/alienware-m11x-offically-launches/

Whats the general view on this one? I've had an M1330 for over 2 years now.

1gig graphics looks good and 8 cell battery as standard. Price seems decent too.

Will be interesting to see if it has the same overheating problems as the Dell M1330

11.6” 1366 x 768 display
    Intel Pentium SU4100 (1.3GHz, dual-core) OR Core 2 Duo SU7300 (1.3GHz, dual-core) processors
    Nvidia GeForce GT335M (1GB RAM)
    2GB RAM (DDR3 800MHz) (8GB max)
    160GB 5400RPM OR 250 - 500GB 7200RPM HDD OR 256GB SSD
    Bluetooth
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
    HDMI, DisplayPort or VGA output
    Mobile Broadband (Gobi + GPS)
    HD Surround Sound Audio (5.1 channel)
    10/100 LAN
    1.3MP Webcam
    4.5 pounds weight
    Available in Cosmic Black or Lunar Silver colors

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I would say its an expensive toy for enthusiasts with deep pockets.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. If you are in the market for a 12" notebook with decent discrete graphics, then it is great that such a product exists.

But I would say most people have very little use for it, and its too expensive to justify as a normal purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

screen too small

i have a m1710, wouldnt look at a 12 inch screen for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

BTW guys, you can pick up decent 22" monitors for peanuts these days.

I'm getting a demo model soon - will post a review. I just bought a vostro 1220 before this was announced. The 1220 would be awesome with decent graphics card.

Looking forward to the machine but reviews state the screen is ultra reflective so that will be a major - point. One of the reasons I got the 1220 it is one of few machines you can spec with a matte screen these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

829 euro on dell.ie now ...stupid price ...at least 200 more than Id want to pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Will you post the review up here when you get it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Yup screen is too small.
    Of course you can connect it to a monitor, but if you're going to do that you might as well get a desktop.
    I have 15.4" laptop which I play games on. Definitely wouldn't get anything smaller for games: Bigger would be better for games and general use, though not nearly so portable. 15.4" is very portable though. No reason to go smaller.

They do have a 15" model:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/alienware-m15x/pd.aspx?refid=alienware-m15x&s=dhs&cs=19

edit:
    The real problem with these laptops though, is the silly lights and design. I got xps m1530 instead of m1730 purely because the m1530 was spared the silly lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Blargh

As usual we get rapped by the price compared to the U.S. I was going to get the m15x but THE PRICE is mad plus the m15x only has a 240m, I think the 11x nearly out preforms the 15x lol !!! Its a cool little toy how many hours of gaming do ya get out of it 5/6? its handy if your travelling all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Supposedly 2 hours on full gaming mode and 6 on integrated graphics mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Blargh

I had a friends netbook over here a while ago the screen is the same as the m11x its to small for my liking. 2 hours of gaming is good but how long will that last in 4 months time when the battery doesn't charge properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

APM wrote: »
    Will you post the review up here when you get it?

Ok took delivery of this today. First impressions: Very solid build. The battery is integrated into the base so I think if it is to be replaces a whole new base is needed (not sure would have to check Dell tech manual).

Very nice looking. The unit I got has a US keyboard for some reason. You can customize the back light and stuff so that is cool. Charger is small brick, I've never got one like it from a Dell before, but it will take your standard dell 60 watt.

Very nice range of ports. The screen size is usable but the screen is SOOOO glossy. Down to point I could not use it at all today in the school lobby as there are roof lights letting in reflecting lights.

Seriously I think the screen renders this useless. Its way too reflective. If only we could get it with a matte. I will stick to the Vostro 1220 for now, because although the ports, graphics and sound are inferior at least the screen is very usable.

I will test a few games on it an report back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement