Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POLL* Should weed be legalised?

Options
  • 02-02-2005 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

IMHO, weed should be legalised.

Should weed be legalised? 404 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    62% 254 votes
    37% 150 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

i dont see a poll......

Edit: there we go :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I used to think it should. I was actually the press officer for Ming the Merciless.

But I've since witnessed first hand how it can cause severe psychosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Its not for everyone.

January 07, 2005 - Proof that smoking cannabis can make you psychotic:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8123-1428225,00.html

I agree with decriminalization in principle though. Its been well documented that there are medical benefits for many.
    Have to laugh at the story of this poor woman though!

Granny faces jail over cannabis casseroles
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/16149397?source=Daily%20Mail

I've always suspected that cannabis hasn't widely been legalized due to pressure from pharmaceutical companies (Cannabis is a weed after all, not a patented synthetic drug.) I definitely wouldn't be in favour of full decriminalization though.

PS What a loaded poll. "Yes" or "No" would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

I can't agree I'm afraid - I lost several friends to weed.

When I say lost, they didn't die or anything. I just can't remember who they were or where they lived. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Extract from the Times online article:
    especially if they had already shown symptoms which suggested a predisposition to psychiatric problems.

This is old news. Very old news.
    Repackaged to counter the UK's recent liberalisation of cannabis.

I do know people who have suffered psychosis while they were smoking cannabis regularly but there is an argument that it only plays a role in bringing up latent psychosis, borne out by the above quote.
    I KNOW it is not a reason, possibly a catalyst, the other thing is that it is possibly just a conincidental occurance.
    Sick people who happen to smoke cannabis therefore cannabis is a cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

extreme overuse may lead to psychosis in SOME cases but all in all its a lot less harmfull than booze , and it would be nice to give all the irish people who arent booze mad an option (all five of them)

edit: i think we should add a few extra options to the poll up there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

This has been done so many times on boards now, that's it's now a boring subject. Do a search if you want the majority of boards users opinions on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

There is no way it should be legal, how on earth would the government continue to rule us with FEAR if we were all blissfully happy smoking pot?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Ah the age old argument: and I say yes
    Simple reasons ;

a) Does less damage to you than drinking the only reason it’s not allowed as it can be grown in Ireland illegally and therefore is non-taxable so the government makes no money from it.
    b)it has medicinal purposes unlike cigs,drink .Can be used for Angina and rumtorrie diseases. So legalizing it would bring it forward in research and who knows what else it can be used for.
    c)Hemp anyone - what cant you do with hemp - not much. They are trying to manufacture a type of plant for hemp so that they can produce synthetic substitute for oil. Its been stopped. Why? Lowin behold its not taxable and the governments cant profit.
    d)someone said it causes people to be psychotic. Ever seen Limerick,Dublin,Cork on a Friday and Saturday night after clubs. Drink is a causes a lot of weird behavior and that’s not illegal.
    e)No proven fatality anywhere directly linked from people taking weed (allergic reactions not included - I said direct

I do admit that it has bad points, but as you can see with research & development and a bit understanding, weed could be a good thing.

Nukem

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

The last thing Irish people need to be is more relaxed. Our economy will collapse along with our bladders :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

yeah boring topic, stupid options on poll and i couldn't give a sh1te if ppl smoke it or not.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Nukem wrote:
    Ah the age old argument: and I say yes
    Simple reasons ;

a) Does less damage to you than drinking the only reason it’s not allowed as it can be grown in Ireland illegally and therefore is non-taxable so the government makes no money from it.]

So because it does damage in a different way to drink it should not be banned?
    psychotic episodes from abuse of hash is more wide spread than is reported, This is a fact, smokers always get caught in the end if they continue

Nukem wrote:

Heroin has many medical uses, far more than dope,! Should it be legalised also?

Nukem wrote:
    [c)Hemp anyone - what cant you do with hemp - not much. They are trying to manufacture a type of plant for hemp so that they can produce synthetic substitute for oil. Its been stopped. Why? Lowin behold its not taxable and the governments cant profit.]

LOL, If a product is sold in this country the gov will profit,

Nukem wrote:
    [d)someone said it causes people to be psychotic. Ever seen Limerick,Dublin,Cork on a Friday and Saturday night after clubs. Drink is a causes a lot of weird behavior and that’s not illegal.]

This issue is not black and white, drink is only one of mainy factors that contribute to this behaviour

Nukem wrote:

The risk of cancer increases 5 fold from regular smoking of dope...

QUOTE=Nukem][color=black]I do admit that it has bad points, but as you can see with research & development and a bit understanding, weed could be a good thing.[/color[/QUOTE]

U should have done some research brother,,,

Nukem[/QUOTE]

Love> meditraitor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

it should be compulsory.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it should stay illegal as its not like it mattters that it is.not like its hard to get or that you can be caught with it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Quite a large number of people have a predisposition to psychosis and will never know it. But disrupting the dopamine balance in the brain of these people is going to cause serious problems.

And disrupting the dopamine balance in a teenagers brain will also cause problems, whether they have a predisposition to psychosis or not.

Someone close to me developed psychosis from overuse of cannabis, and got voices in her head telling her to kill me. I ended up with a knife stuck in my chest.

Quite a large number of people have a predisposition to psychosis and will never know it. But disrupting the dopamine balance in the brain of these people is going to cause serious problems.

And disrupting the dopamine balance in a teenagers brain will also cause problems, whether they have a predisposition to psychosis or not.

Someone close to me developed psychosis from overuse of cannabis, and got voices in her head telling her to kill me. I ended up with a knife stuck in my chest.

ergo cannabis is bad, or what?

So because it does damage in a different way to drink it should not be banned?
    Listen to your logic.Not what i said. Drink has been around for years - 100's and they have done extensive reserch and it still kills people and causes irradic behaviour.Weed has virtually no testing
    psychotic episodes from abuse of hash is more wide spread than is reported, This is a fact, smokers always get caught in the end if they continue
    LOL if it was so widespread why havent we heard it.And if thats the case where did you here it?
    Heroin has many medical uses, far more than dope,! Should it be legalised also?
    Never said that. What i said is with reserch and Development for it.Stop miss quoting me and putting words in my mouth. Hereion kills 1000's every year where weed is unproven.
    LOL, If a product is sold in this country the gov will profit,
    Yes they would but it can be home grown as well and therefore not taxable and due to its illegailty its non-taxable.
    This issue is not black and white, drink is only one of mainy factors that contribute to this behaviour
    I think a few million euro a year fixing people up in hospital every weekend is proof enough.
    The risk of cancer increases 5 fold from regular smoking of dope...
    Once again no reserach and development.Ciggs been reserched heavily in the last few years and they have cut the chemicals and strengths down a load.Weed is a pure plant with no dilution or filtering.Processesd it may have minimal side effects.We dont know becuse it aint legal so therefore not enough research
    U should have done some research brother,,,

Back to the drawing board for you brother.

[][listen to your logic.][

You should read your reply before posting, there is no case for legalisation, there isnt enough beds in mental hospitals for it,
    weed will do you damage in the end..
    if you keep smoking you will realise when you hit adulthood the damage it causes.

without going into detail I Know. and everyone I know who smoked as long as me or with me back in the day has the same view... with the exeption of the ones to ****ed up to care

Come back to me in five years and u will understand

Good luck with it brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Med, i know your a Brig head but i got to disagree with ya here!

Theres no way in my book you can justify why the likes of alcohol is Legal and Cannibis isnt!Alcohol is responsible for thousands of deaths in this country every year!Not one confirmed case of a cannibis death!Of course it does damage to ya in the long run but so does a lot of 'legal' substances!

I dont smoke hash or cigarettes anymore myself but i know id rather know a stoner over a drunk anyday!

• Advertisement

You should read your reply before posting, there is no case for legalisation, there isnt enough beds in mental hospitals for it,
    weed will do you damage in the end..
    if you keep smoking you will realise when you hit adulthood the damage it causes.

without going into detail I Know. and everyone I know who smoked as long as me or with me back in the day has the same view... with the exeption of the ones to ****ed up to care

Good luck with it brother

Ah well that's it sorted then, let's stop the debate, this guy has the answers, it is final.....or something.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Overuse of Cannabis will make you psychotic.
    Overuse of alchohol will kill you.
    Which would you prefer?
    Think of the amount of tax profits the government can make from legalising cannabis. I would love to see it legalised as I used to be a long time smoker and I cut down because of the quality of stuff that was coming into Ireland was diabolical, the odd time you got some good stuff but it was so dear I wouldnt buy it.
    I will admit I regretted smoking during my last year in secondary school as I felt I would of done better in my LC had I not of smoked it but that doesnt mean I think it should stay illegal. Its a relaxant exactly like alcohol and makes a night out/party that much more fun

Been there done that and look im not a physco neither are you. Next.................................
    Now
    there isnt enough beds in mental hospitals
    absolutely astounded by your one dimensioned mind,you smoke weed your a physco. Ah its just nice to see how people are so closed minded. All your friends are medical experts as well i suppose.
    I am calling for legalisation for the development of the substance not only as a drug but as it has so many purposes and has so little research on it. Don't see how you pass judgement on it because
    without going into detail I Know
    thats a fantastic arguement you should be a politician with a line like that.

All the smoking in my mispent youth is probably the reason I cant get my point across trigg,,

mmmm -ok here's the thing,- im not saying weed is worse than alcohol, thats not the q of the thread(i think), im saying that weed will have a bad effect on your head in the end, therefore why not limit access to it by keeping it illegal(I know it can be got easy enough)

Alcohol is bad
    Weed is bad
    Burgers out of deli burger are bad

what, were was I--

By all means smoke if thats your predisposition, but dont expect it to be the harmless mellow enjoyable drugs all these kids( and I stress kids, because anyone in late 20s or 30s who smoked will tell u it has side effects) think is safe.

Did I make any sense? 0_o

Nukem wrote:
    I am calling for legalisation for the development of the substance not only as a drug but as it has so many purposes and has so little research on it. Don't see how you pass judgement on it because thats a fantastic arguement you should be a politician with a line like that.

It is legal to test and develope it Nuk,under licence to labs and pharma companies, but not for recreational use( is this your point)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

It should be legalised just to stop these **** threads. That's it, that's the only reason to legalise it.

How bad for you is passive smoke from hash?

Tax profits really isn't a reason to legalise it. I seem to remember (though I could be wrong) that cigerette companies pointed out how much money the government makes from the selling of cigerettes that to ban them would be ludicrus, that was until it was discovered the amount of money spent on caring for those with smoking related illnesses. (I can't remember many of the details, so I'm sorry, I could have made it up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

You can all argue all you want...the bottom line is choice

It shouldn't nececeraly be sold in spar, or even bars or weed cafe's....but i should at least have the choice to grow it if i want, and smoke it if i want.......also, psycosis argument is weak....all perscription drugs have massive side effects if abused....most of which can kill you if you overdose....you cant overdose on weed...no-one has ever died from weed....drink kills you, cigarettes kill you (and nicotine the most addictive substance known to man), anti-depresants can kill you, can also have serious and perminant side effects.....perscription sleeping pills can kill you....it''s a stigma attached to a drug since the sixties....government lost so much power in the US during that period..people weren't afraid to ask questions....a million men marched etc. It was free times man :D

under licence
    There is that word (licence) its killing the R&D. If legalised and controlled properly with adequate testing i am for it,selling 9 bars down in McCarthys local shop........no. With the legalisation there would be an awarness in the public and guidlines to its usage unlike the Dam.

Apologies if i came on strong but seen its potential for use other than getting stoned and it looks good.I hate to lose sorry!!!!!

Nukem

mmmm -ok here's the thing,- im not saying weed is worse than alcohol, thats not the q of the thread(i think), im saying that weed will have a bad effect on your head in the end, therefore why not limit access to it by keeping it illegal(I know it can be got easy enough)

And others here would dispute that as unsubstantiated ****e, any proof or did you hear it off a bloke in the pub?

The reports that are about dont go as far as you do and they've been studying it for a while.

• Advertisement

Cactus Col wrote:
    I seem to remember (though I could be wrong) that cigerette companies pointed out how much money the government makes from the selling of cigerettes that to ban them would be ludicrus, that was until it was discovered the amount of money spent on caring for those with smoking related illnesses. (I can't remember many of the details, so I'm sorry, I could have made it up)

Except that it is accepted that a smoker pays in three times as much into the system as is spent on their illnesses, so they are effectively subsidising non-smokers and are a net profit maker, so yes you probably did make it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement