Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just out of interest.......

Options
  • 07-01-2006 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

.....I thought here would be the best place to ask as ye may be in the know.

I'd be interested in buying a de-activated firearm from one of the many dealers in the UK, most probably a No4 Enfield. Why? because I'm interested in militaria, history and the Lee Enfield range of rifles.

So, what would be the process for getting one, I mean, the legal process, is a gun licence required? An import permit or such. Or is it just a whole pile of hassle and really not worth the time and effort :rolleyes: ?

As I say, its just a thought but I'd like to hear some info anyway, if I should consider going ahead with it.

CroppyBoy1798

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Its really not worth doing things by the letter of the law in regard to de-acts. DOJ wants to have them tested for use in crimes, Gardi want to have them stored in a gun safe and the local super will prob try talk you into getting a shotgun instead of a de-act:rolleyes:

There are alot of de-acts in the country but most taken in without permission and unknown to the local police. I know they are being sound over the counter in the north now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Chem hit it on the head.Other option would be for you if you want the look of a lee Enfield and possibly want somthing that goes Bang as well.[might as well if you are going to the hassle of liscensing a deact,might as well get aworking one]Get a lee Enfield that has been bored out to a 410 shotgun.It can be leagally held on a shotun cert and they are/were quite common in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Thanks for the help guys, much arrpeciated ;) .

Hmm, doesnt sound like the bother at all eh, what sort of a country are we living in at all eh? Bit crazy when they seem to be so strict on de-ac's, I know they are more or less the real thing, they look, feel and once could fire, and I guess if you walked into a bank with one no one would question it. But still then, shouldnt there be a law it I were to get a piece of wood, cut it to the shape of a gun and paint it to look real? Ah well.

I dont think any No4's were ever bored out for .410, they didnt seem to have as strong a reciever as the No1, plus it was an Indian job, they used them for police and prision guards so they're beat up and a bit tacky.

I guess I'll just keep looking at the pictures in the books (the guards cant take the pictures no? lol).

Cheers guys,

CroppyBoy1798

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I dont think any No4's were ever bored out for .410, they didnt seem to have as strong a reciever as the No1, plus it was an Indian job, they used them for police and prision guards so they're beat up and a bit tacky.

This is news to me, I understand most of the .410 conversions were done in the UK to create an inexpensive garden gun for farmers and the like using abundant surplus stocks. I don't know why the No.4 receiver would be less strong, but anyway, 410 is hardly going to stress a receiver.

Civdef,

I dont know, but I can honestly say I have never heard of a No4 being converted to .410, not in military circles anyway, unless it was a private practice, however there are ample amounts of No1's that I know of that were converted in India to accept the .410 round, these simply had the barrell rebored, the magazine removed and the magwell blocked with timber. And from what I understand where unique to Indian forces, as stated, the Police and Prison guards for riot control etc.

CroppyBoy1798

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

ASFIR there was aload of them made by the Ishapur? arsenal in 410 maybe they were reconverts.But they were for sale in the US for appx $100.About ten years ago.

Those are the ones Clare gunner, they are usually older rifles that had worn out barrells and the like, never purpose made. And yep, they were done at the Ishapore plant in Bengal.

They are still popping up in the US and as they are Ishy reworks are selling for pretty cheap, stil around the $100-$200 price range.

CroppyBoy1798

Advertisement