Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supernatural Goings on in Laghey?

Options
  • 18-08-2009 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows the history of the Laghey area - any old childrens graveyards etc - particularly close to the current National School on the main road after the filling station (when coming from Ballyshannon side).
    Was up there this weekend past and there was definitely something 'strange' going on in the house we were renting - and i don't normally believe in this stuff.

Just interested to find out the history of the area is all.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

there was definitely something 'strange' going on in the house we were renting - and i don't normally believe in this stuff.

Care to elaborate a bit? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Is the house on the same side of the road as the school? Is it a new bungalow with a lawn extending down the front? When exactly was this, and what did you experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Care to elaborate a bit? :)

Well, doors that were closed suddenly opened (didn't see anyone open them) but knew they had been closed. Doors banging shut. (I know that wind could have caused both of these things).

A general feeling of not being on our own in the house all the time.

I was in Donegal town on the Friday night and my daughter (who is 3) was playing upstairs in the "playroom". She asked 2 people in the house who said "sssshhh". No-one knew what she was on about - but ever since she's been telling us that "the ghost told her to ssshhhh" and she puts her finger to her lips. This apparantly occured in the playroom when she was playing up there. I've asked her why he said "ssshhhh" to her and she says it's cos the baby was asleep.

Now i only was made aware of this when we got home on Sunday night, but on Saturday morning very early i was up and about and went into the room my daughter was sleeping in - to check that she was still asleep. She was sleeping across from the playroom, and her room was FREEZING cold - compared to the room i was in anyways!. Not sure if it means anything or not, but strange.

2 of the people who were convinced that there was something else in the house say now that they never felt threatened or scared but are sure that there was something there. One of them heard a male voice at 6am on Sunday morning while going downstairs.... couldn't make out what was being said, but a door banged shut at the end of it.

To answer the other persons question - yes the house is on the same side as the national school, pretty much looking into the pitch of the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,937 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Couldnt resist

ghostbusters.jpg

Probably a rational explanation Im sure.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Probably a rational explanation Im sure.

I'm 100% sure there is... just wondering if anyone knew anything of the area history.

Well, doors that were closed suddenly opened (didn't see anyone open them) but knew they had been closed. Doors banging shut. (I know that wind could have caused both of these things).

A general feeling of not being on our own in the house all the time.

I was in Donegal town on the Friday night and my daughter (who is 3) was playing upstairs in the "playroom". She asked 2 people in the house who said "sssshhh". No-one knew what she was on about - but ever since she's been telling us that "the ghost told her to ssshhhh" and she puts her finger to her lips. This apparantly occured in the playroom when she was playing up there. I've asked her why he said "ssshhhh" to her and she says it's cos the baby was asleep.

Now i only was made aware of this when we got home on Sunday night, but on Saturday morning very early i was up and about and went into the room my daughter was sleeping in - to check that she was still asleep. She was sleeping across from the playroom, and her room was FREEZING cold - compared to the room i was in anyways!. Not sure if it means anything or not, but strange.

2 of the people who were convinced that there was something else in the house say now that they never felt threatened or scared but are sure that there was something there. One of them heard a male voice at 6am on Sunday morning while going downstairs.... couldn't make out what was being said, but a door banged shut at the end of it.

To answer the other persons question - yes the house is on the same side as the national school, pretty much looking into the pitch of the school.

So its a newly built house? (two story detatched, maybe 5 -10 years old) that is on the other side of the road to a row of white cottages... ie. its the only house built on that side of the laneway, right next to the pitch.
    I know the whole area very well, and most of the people that live in that row of houses... including the people that own that house you are referring to (if its the same house).... I had heard stories about that field years ago when we were kids, I'll ask a few people and get back to you

So its a newly built house? (two story detatched, maybe 5 -10 years old) that is on the other side of the road to a row of white cottages... ie. its the only house built on that side of the laneway, right next to the pitch.
    I know the whole area very well, and most of the people that live in that row of houses... including the people that own that house you are referring to (if its the same house).... I had heard stories about that field years ago when we were kids, I'll ask a few people and get back to you

Yes.... this is the house - exactly. Don't want to put people off the house or anything. Lovely house, lovely people... but i was just wondering if there was anything to it!

Well, the local yarn years ago, was that the field was cursed... I dont know much more than that, except it was referred to as the 'home field'.... Im going back maybe 25 years when I used to hear this business of the home field being cursed :) God knows, maybe theres something to it now!

Well, the local yarn years ago, was that the field was cursed... I dont know much more than that, except it was referred to as the 'home field'.... Im going back maybe 25 years when I used to hear this business of the home field being cursed :) God knows, maybe theres something to it now!

Thanks North_West_Art.
    Definitely think there's something to it. Wind howling through the house at times, Door banging shut upstairs but all doors open.... Very strange. Wonder why was the field cursed??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Jesus boys,i'll not sleep a wink tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

I'd be more afraid of the living in that neck of the woods

freaky story

Salvelinus wrote: »
    I'd be more afraid of the living in that neck of the woods

freaky story

Hahaha, well i dunno about that. We didn't actually meet any of our weekend neighbours. Very quick visit. Appeared to be a nice quiet area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

I too tend to think there's always some rational explanation to these things, but just one point you made about your girls room.
    I know a man who swore he saw an old man walk across the room and disappear into a wall when he was helping renovate his sisters new house (it was an old mans cottage). The man in question I have no reason to doubt, in fact he's one of the biggest sceptics going.
    Anyway, before the incident, he mentioned that he thought a door or window had opened, as he said it suddenly got really really cold, freezing, but it was a balmy summers night, and it was very odd. This was a couple of mins before he saw the man. I just thought it interesting you mentioned the temperature too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Oh I just had to read this at 11pm and living in a house that's 145 years old. Jeeeez.

Its very easy for me to find out more about this. Im from the area, literally 200 yards from that house. I was talking earlier with a friend of mine whos father used to own that land years back. He doesnt ever remember there being stories of ghosts or graves associated with that spot. The local story is that if the hay was ever cut in that field, the weather would suddenly turn bad. I'll be in the local pub there some night soon and I'll ask around... I know someone who claims to have spotted a ghost walk down the lane one night in January, this is also very close to the house, up on the hill behind it in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HybridPaul

Lol. I love these ghost stories. Having said that, if there was such a thing as ghosts there would be so many we'd be swimming in them. Also, how do you explain something that can walk through walls being able to GRIP and SLAM a door. Why dont they fall through floors as well?

Its very easy for me to find out more about this. Im from the area, literally 200 yards from that house. I was talking earlier with a friend of mine whos father used to own that land years back. He doesnt ever remember there being stories of ghosts or graves associated with that spot. The local story is that if the hay was ever cut in that field, the weather would suddenly turn bad. I'll be in the local pub there some night soon and I'll ask around... I know someone who claims to have spotted a ghost walk down the lane one night in January, this is also very close to the house, up on the hill behind it in fact.

Freaky!! It'd be great if you could find out more about it though. Great info so far though North_West_Art :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

BUMP !!

well just thought this was an apt thread to 'bump' :)

irish1967 wrote: »
    BUMP !!

well just thought this was an apt thread to 'bump' :)
    Only during the darkest hours :eek:

• Advertisement

Im keeping the ear to the ground. I know a guy that used to live in the house...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Darr3nG

I knew a guy that used to live in the house...

...would've been more thrilling! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Donegallassie

Good morning all,
    this is for all of you that live around Laghey, I want to share an experience my friend had recently. He was driving from North Donegal to Sligo early one morning and as he passed a spot on the mile straight (the lane to the right before the Salmon Inn road travelling towards Sligo), he noticed a young girl standing at the road side, as the van came closer she turned and started walking up the lane. He said to the two guys travelling with him did they see her (they didn't) and remaked how unusual it is to see a child ( 10 yrs or so) on the road at 5am.

a few days later they were on the same journey travelling to work and he asked teh two lads with him to watch out for this girl as he couldn't get it out of his head and sure to god there she was - all three saw her and she did the same as before turned and walked up the lane. This has happened again since therefore he has seen her 3 times and his friends twice.

She wears a dark coat and you can see a red dress under it and an old fashioned hat ( similiar to one worn by the "Railway Children "). I asked him if it was ---
    I know this guy he is married to a local and I live in the area myself, he is very spooked by it. Honestly I don't thank him for sharing his story with mw as I pass that place daily, my partner also passes it every morning at 6am but has seen nothing.

I was wondering if any of you have ever heard or seen anything similar in the area?

I had forgotten about this thread, will ask around about the girl.. I am now friends on Facebook with people who used to live in the house the OP mentioned. I'll send this link to them (and hopefully they won't get too freaked out :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Donegallassie

great thanks I have just been asking my mum who told me that lane led down to the railway line years ago......so where the young girl was spotted would have been close to the site of the railway station!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

real interesting thread..any updates?

just an update here, coincidentally there is an account that has been created on Facebook called 'Laghey Hauntings'. I have messaged them and forwarded them this thread, they said they would look into it, you could hook up with them on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Every field my dad had must be cursed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know anything about The Gap? My husband has personal experience of a sighting there & he seems to remember that there is a lot of lore about that area.

• Advertisement

yes, there have been a few reports of unusual sightings in the Gap. Here is one I posted before one time.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20090201/ai_n31308939/

There are several other stories, one involving the ghost of a biker, another of a lady wearing a veil, and a couple of years ago UTV did a short feature on a claim that the spirit of a woman can be seen from time to time on the Castelederg road just off the Gap on the Lough Mourne side.

What was your husband's experience?

Advertisement