Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed. Mares Tail....

Options
  • 26-08-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a problem with a weed which i think is called Mares Tail, from pictures i have seen on the web. It is really hard to get rid of. I have used Round up on it but it keeps coming back .Does any one have any ideas how to get rid of this weed?
    Oh yes it even comes through tarmac!!!!! :eek:
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 itsmedee

hi.

a bit of a nightmare this weed. I have cleared beds from this before.
    1. improve soil drainage.
    2. Chemical treatment. But you must bruise the weed first. (mares tail has an waxy leave witch has a resistants to chemical).
    3. Using a strimmer is the best way to bruise mares tail.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

baldbear wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a problem with a weed which i think is called Mares Tail, from pictures i have seen on the web. It is really hard to get rid of. I have used Round up on it but it keeps coming back .Does any one have any ideas how to get rid of this weed?
    Thanks.

This is one of the most difficult weeds of all to deal with. I have plenty in my garden and have come to accept that the best I can do is control, not eradicate, it. It's roots are deep - 6ft or more - and those separate plants you see are interconnected underground. If you have a small infestation continuous pulling - thus denying the plant light for photosynthesis - will weaken the plant. But you must remove ALL the plants. If you don't the piece left standing will continue to nourish the plant underground and you will soon be back where you started. And you must pull them up each time they regrow before they are an inch or so tall. Gradually they will reduce in number. The effectiveness of this approcah is shown in a lawn situation where regular mowing reduces radically the number of weeds. But leave the lawn for any period of time and they will be back. Weedkiller like Roundup will help control larger colonies but, as advised above, you will need to bruise the stems and repeat the treatment several times. Even then the plant has a remarkable capacity for recovery. Mares tail (or horsetail) thrive in damp situations and are generally found in wet meadows and on damp land. But where they are already established I am not sure that improved drainage makes much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

baldbear wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.

Where is it growing? Is it growing near any other plants or anything you want to keep?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

I've had some success with plain white vinegar. Just spray it on, you may need a second coat a week or two later. If nothing else it will give you an appetite!

Regards...Sham

Advertisement