Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun clubs

Options
  • 04-03-2009 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

hey, i have applied for membership into 2 gun clubs...i wont mention the names, but gun club A are very closely knit and although my grandfather practically founded it they still wont take on any new members.

gun club B seemed more approachable but only 2 got in for this year and i live abit far out of the way. Im dissapointed to say the least but understand their situation that they cant let everyone in.

Now ive heard about people being independant shooters, can someone elaborate further on what is required to be independant?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

3 farmers signatures is all you need. You can get insurance for shooting off the IFA which may help

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭ak51535

oh is it 3? ha i thought it was 2, :o thanks, im sorry but im not familiar with IFA? wat does it stand for?

Irish Farmers Association. They will give you a pretty good insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

CAI and NARGC will provide insurance as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

ak51535 wrote: »
    oh is it 3? ha i thought it was 2, :o

I think it depends on the Garda district. There's nothing in law about it to the best of my knowledge. If you can get 2, have a chat with the Gardai; the worst they can say is "get more people to give you permission".

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    CAI and NARGC will provide insurance as well.

Do you not have to be a member of a club before the NARGC will insure you?

yeah you need membership into a recognised club before the NARGC insure you, what other ways can you get insurance? can you go to a private company instead of the I.F.A? thanks for all this advice

Try the CAI I suppose - they insure target shooters individually (this may change with the advent of the range and clubs SIs...)

thanks sparks, would they ensure me for hunting or is it just target shooting? and what does C.A.I stand for, sorry im just starting out in the sport now

CAI = Countryside Alliance Ireland
    And either so far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

It might also be worth making a call to Des Crofton of the NARGC to explain your situation as he might be able to contact your County rep on your behalf and see if they can help you get into a local club.

Its worth a try anyway.

Mr. Des Crofton
    National Director
    6 Sandford Road,
    Ranelagh,
    Dublin 6,
    Ireland
    Tel: 01 4974888
    Intl +353.1.4974888
    Fax: 01.4974828
    Intl +353.1.4974828

Best of luck too :)

Not a lot the NARGC can do, its down to club rules regarding who they do and dont let join. Might help to see what local clubs are up to regarding releasing birds etc and see if you can help out. Will stand to your advantage when ya look to join again. I dont know of any local insurance companies who will insure you for shooting.
    I used to be insured with the NARCG but due to a split with Kildare and North Tip I am now insured with the IFA, they matched almost anything that the NARGC offered insurance wise. I will go back through my files and see what their coverage is. Perhaps members of the CAI will be able to do the same regarding their coverage for you.

http://www.ifacountryside.ie/Home/tabid/139/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

ok, thanks sparks, tikkat3 and homerhop, i'll check out C.A.I and I.F.A... hopefully i'll get a gd deal *fingers crossed* :D

homerhop wrote: »
    its down to club rules regarding who they do and dont let join.

Your right, it is down to individual clubs as to who they accept as members. I am a sercretary in a club for 8 years or more and I have known cases where the NARGC were able to assist a genuine individual to get membership in one of the various NARGC affiliated clubs in their county.

Im not saying that it will always work, but my point was, it is worth a try and certainly can not hurt his chance of gaining entry to a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Would you wait till your refused before rining nargc? tikkat3

I have had extensive dealings with the NARGC also in various club roles from club deligate to chairman. I wasn't saying it wasn't worth a go just that at the end of the day it is down to the club committee. Our club had a policy that as long as an applicant was from the locality they were given automatic admission on a probation term. I found that if a new member approached a club beforehand and showed an interest that they always seemed to get a better response once their probation was up.
    I dont know why they clubs involved refused ak51535 membership especially since his grandfather was a founding member of one of them. It might be worth his while having a chat with some of the club committee to see what the reasons were.
    If its down to club rules to only allowing a certain number of new members or a cap on overall members he might have his name short listed for the next acceptance of names

Homerhop: I totally agree with you on it being down to the club committee and to be honest most clubs are getting tighter with regards new memberships.

One thing I know alot of clubs, including our own have had difficulty with, is new members joining just for the purpose of gaining their license & Insurance, then leaving the following year. We have taken some measures to try and prevent this ourselves.

As you said, with ak51535 having a family connection, it is strange that he got the run around. Definitly worth chatting with a member of the committe if you can ak51535 and see if they can give any valid reason for refusal.

If you could get a name of the RGC officer for waterford too and ask if he/she knows if any other clubs are accepting members.

If that doesnt help, all the other suggestions outlined previously are probably the only route you have really.

Main thing is, hope you get sorted.

greenpeter wrote: »
    Would you wait till your refused before rining nargc? tikkat3

If your local club refuses you, it is worth ringing the NARGC to get the name of your County RGC officer and see if they can assist you in getting into another club in your county. But they may not be able to help in all situations.

But as outlined previously, getting to know your local club committee and members and building a relationship with them through attendance of events, through helping out or showing a genuine interest in the club can often do wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

sure to God someone can vouch for you or at least knows your links to the locality. Our club has the rule that you must be resident in the parish or links to the parish. Get talking See below similiar thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468862&highlight=gun+clubs

maybe this will help.

In fairness to the NARGC at County and National level they are always telling clubs to let in new members. I cant understand the problem at local level. Particulalry when you can put new members on "probation"

just a reply to homerhop's and tikkat3's earlier response...they sed that the reason why i didnt get into gun club A (the one in the area that im living) is because they are no vacancies, and that i am on the waiting list, one of the higher up member of the club (treasurer i think, could be wrong) lives literally 10 min walk from me, nice enough fella who said he would put my application letter up in the next meeting, then about 3 weeks later got a letter in the post saying there were no vacancies, oh and by the way, this fella went shooting quite often with my grandfather so its not as if he wouldnt know my family.

• Advertisement

To be blunt that just sounds so strange. Like i said earlier the club i was involved in had a rule that no local person could be refused. Do you know if there are many members in the club and how much ground they have to shoot?

yeah know, ha tell me about it :pac:...i know a good number of hunters and when they hear my story they just cant get over it, then one person said that gun club A were and i quote "a bunch of P****s" so i dont want to jump to conclusions and agree, ye seem to know what ye're talkin about so is it because of my age? (17) oh and just a bit of info, ive completed the proficiency course back in september with a tipperary gun club (i wasnt a member btw just i have family involved in it and they thought it would be good for me to complete it early on)

When I was chairman I looked that all new members do the course. Its no harm to have it done. My advice to you is get yourself some insurance and approach local farmers about permission. Bring your proficiency cert and proof of insurance. As you said they should know your family and if you come across to them that you are fairly level headed and wont be a liability they are usually fairly ok about signing. The signatures dont have to be from the one area, so as you said if you know people in Tip they might be able to get you a signature there too.

oh right, i thought it had to be from the same area....jee thats a HUGE help thanks a million :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

is there a limit on the amount of members a gun club can insure with the nargc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

greenpeter wrote: »
    is there a limit on the amount of members a gun club can insure with the nargc?

No, ther's no limit.

There is no limit, but a lot of clubs will put a limit on members depending on the amount of land the club has permission to shoot. No point in tripping over each other in the field.

Advertisement