Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Site

Options
  • 30-04-2004 9:24am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at www.gmp.police.uk just now. Compare that against the look & feel and the content of www.garda.ie. Jebus, they cant even get a decent quality photo on the garda site.
    Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

They're too busy to spend time on their website.

They are all up in the Park waiting for a riot :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Just my quick first impressions of both sites;

The GMP one is "usercentric"

The Garda one is "Gardacentric"

Classic web design error: designing for the interior needs of the organisation instead of for the user/visitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I think it's more:

GMP site: Designed by a designer
    Garda site: Designed by a "designer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Not sure about the garda site, as far as I know Paul Mc Cann's conceptdesign.ie has done a lot for irlgov.ie, not sure if the garda site is still tied by irlgov, it use to be hosted on a cname garda.irlgov.ie and has moved to the LGCSB recently like irlgov.ie.

They should give the CCIU a go at it ;)

ah I am only kidding .......... John ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Something

conceptdesign.ie << just how many tables do you need a table before you realise that you've over complicated a design?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

What's with the naked guy taking a dump? Some sort of subliminal comment on the quality of their service?

topbar.gif

http://www.conceptdesign.ie/prod_overview.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by kbannon
    I was looking at www.gmp.police.uk just now. Compare that against the look & feel and the content of www.garda.ie. Jebus, they cant even get a decent quality photo on the garda site.
    Am I missing something?

Yep, you're missing the fact that we let them get away with having a bad site.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Done, but with errors on page. (MSIE 6 - errors also in Firebird)
    above message occurs too often on www.conceptdesign.ie - doesn't really say much about them, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I just had a look at the GMP one, and if you don't have your browser window maximised it looks like there's a big blank space in the middle (in reality, the content has dropped below because it doesn't fit.

That doesn't happen in the Garda one.

So there's pros and cons for each, obviously!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm not even going to look at the gmp one as this thread is five years old and presumably the site has changed.
    Anyhow, nothing was as bad as the old garda site (new site being discussed here - garda.ie finally gets revamp)
    I'm sure that the mods can close this one now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

An improvement but I dont think it was done by a professional. Design is average to say the least!

Advertisement