Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlestown, Finglas

Options
  • 15-10-2007 8:51pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here knows much about Charlestown, Finglas - specifically the use of the tallest part of it.

Going by this site, the more squared parts of the development will be apartments, and the bulk if not all of the main building will be retail... but is the other bit (in the picture in the first link it's the tall, oval-shaped building) a Hotel? I can't see anything on either of the two sites to give details on it.

And have the apartments gone on sale yet? I assume they must have at this stage - the shopping centre is due to open in the next few weeks, apparently.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum; feel free to move if it is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

They're apartments. They've been on sale since late last year/early this year. It's a local agent selling them I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It really does pretend not to be in Finglas, doesn't it. :)

The image here, seems to suggest the tall building is integrated with the apartments, so I suspect it isn't a hotel. http://www.charlestownhomes.ie/location.html The ground floor appears to be and off-licence. :o

There be details here: http://www.charlestownhomes.ie/plans/downloads.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

It's barely Finglas really. I live up that way and while there's no boundary per say, Charlestown is the old name for that whole area, with Meakstown beside it and Finglas to the south.

Not having a go, you basically are in Finglas, but not at the same time if you know what I mean.

I took a look at the brochures. There only reference at all to Finglas is the finglas Leisure Centre, none for Ballymun. But Metro sure is mentioned.

The tall building shares lifts and stairs with the adjacent apartments.

I would be modestly concerned that all the shopping centre plant rooms are in the apartment garden area. Also is the residents car park shared with the shopping centre car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

podge018 wrote: »
    It's barely Finglas really. I live up that way and while there's no boundary per say, Charlestown is the old name for that whole area, with Meakstown beside it and Finglas to the south.

Not having a go, you basically are in Finglas, but not at the same time if you know what I mean.

isn't meakstown Finglas Dublin 11? isn't charlestown finglas dublin 11?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Yeah, there's next to no reference to Finglas - whatever about Meakstown and Charlestown being old areas or names for Finglas, they're still areas in Finglas now (just like Northwood is in Santry and that has no shame mentioning that!).

It looks like the same thing could happen here that happened in north Finglas, which was slowly consumed by Glasnevin due to residents wanting a better name. Plenty of Ballymun is suddenly calling itself Glasnevin or Santry now too for the same reason.

Back on topic - thanks for the clarification.. their site isn't the best I've seen, very little about the actual apartments besides floor plans... they don't even have a starting price on the site (maybe they've all sold?)

North Finglas being consumed by Glasnevin?? You're wrong there, it would be Finglas East that can be interchanged with the Glasnevin North tag.

This area we are talking about now (Charlestown, Meakstown) would, if anything, be Finglas North, although there has never been anywhere called Finglas North.

podge018 wrote: »
    North Finglas being consumed by Glasnevin?? You're wrong there, it would be Finglas East that can be interchanged with the Glasnevin North tag.

This area we are talking about now (Charlestown, Meakstown) would, if anything, be Finglas North, although there has never been anywhere called Finglas North.

My mistake - got confused with the direction etc.

Yes, it would be the East/South East of Finglas that has been consumed into Glasnevin due to people changing their addresses etc.

And no, I've never heard of people saying Finglas North (which is probably why I got confused), mainly East and West and to a far lesser extent South

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Just check the postal address for the area, one would quickly find that those parts of Glasnevin north(like that Oakwood estate), Meakstown and Charlestown are indeed in Finglas, saying otherwise is in denial.

McKelvey ave(the furthest oldest(pre-boom) residental northwards) is in Finglas and so is the Jamestown Industrial estate bordered by the Jamestown Road and St. Margaret's Road.

The North Road as far as the M50 junction has always been in Finglas.

Even have a look at a map, there is no escape for any of the new area's to not be in Finglas, hilarious the snobbery some parts dive down to.

Any bets on Charlestown/Meakstown/Lanesborough will become 'known' as Glasnevin West in the future?..LOL :D

gurramok wrote: »
    Any bets on Charlestown/Meakstown/Lanesborough will become 'known' as Glasnevin West in the future?..LOL :D

:D
    Nah, I think they'll just start calling themselves Charlestown/Meakstown/Lanesborough - so it'll be Apt 21, Charlestown, D11 or 23 Meakstown Ave., Meakstown, D11... kinda like what happens in Ballymun/Poppintree?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

ntlbell wrote: »
    isn't meakstown Finglas Dublin 11? isn't charlestown finglas dublin 11?

Well, many of the developments are not Finglas. Lanesborough, Charlestown etc are not Finglas. Finglas is under Dublin City Council, while Charlestown and Lanesborough are Fingal County Council, so outside the Finglas area. This is important for voting, government and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

flogen wrote: »
    Nah, I think they'll just start calling themselves Charlestown/Meakstown/Lanesborough - so it'll be Apt 21, Charlestown, D11 or 23 Meakstown Ave., Meakstown, D11... kinda like what happens in Ballymun/Poppintree?

This sort of thing has been happening for ages now, every day you hear it on the radio "Joe Duffy BMW, Junction 5 on M50" where as everyone else in Ireland calls it the finglas exit on the M50!

Carpenters town now stretches down as far as clonsilla, and it's all classed as castleknock.

Royal Canal Park which is in between finglas ( D11 ) and the navan road ( D7 ) for some reason has the D15 post code :rolleyes:

The apartments in Charlestown/Meakstown do look nice. I'm not mad on finglas but that side of finglas isn't bad, a few mins down glasnevin avenue your at DCU... not too far from drumcondra for nice food and a pint... close enough to botanic gardens...

Also there is very little land around them so they can't just build and build...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Ye can't really blame them for finding ways around saying they're in Finglas/Ballymun etc. It's just marketing. I'm from Ballymun and have no problem with them avoiding shouting the fact they're based in the area.

Lets face it, this part of Dublin has a bad rep and it's a subliminal thing that people will judge a place if they hear the word Finglas or Ballymun with it. Even though in their head they will know where it is, and where Finglas is. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. People from outside will go to places more freely if it's just Charlestown, Dublin 11. Rather than Charlestown, Finglas, Dublin 11.

And most people around Ballymun and Finglas that give out about companies or organisations doin' this sort of thing, are also the same people that when asked by a bouncer where they're from, rather say anywhere than Ballymun.

At the end of the day they're creating jobs around here and also a nice and handy shoppin' centre.

I go out in town regularly but I've never been asked by a bouncer where I'm from!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Paulw wrote: »
    Well, many of the developments are not Finglas. Lanesborough, Charlestown etc are not Finglas. Finglas is under Dublin City Council, while Charlestown and Lanesborough are Fingal County Council, so outside the Finglas area. This is important for voting, government and such.

Err, there is no denying it.

Articifical boundaries(after breakup of Dub Corpo) that came in after these areas were created are not relevant.
    All the way up to St Margarets from Finglas village was always known as Finglas (in the post code) including some famous local pubs back in the heyday.
    Speaking of which, DCC are trying to get the boundary back as it was Corpo beforehand and are in dispute with FCC over it!

There are tons of areas where the boundary between councils splits them between different councils.

I was in the new Charlestown shopping centre yesterday, funny thing is that it's advertised clearly as in Finglas, are they wrong as well?...LOL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

gurramok wrote: »
    I was in the new Charlestown shopping centre yesterday, funny thing is that it's advertised clearly as in Finglas, are they wrong as well?...LOL

Well, all their planning applications go to Fingal County Council, so technically, yeah, they're wrong. But, I guess that's up to them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

flogen wrote: »

Having been brought up in Knowth Court, it was always known as Poppintree, Ballymun, Dublin 11

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Texas

Royal Canal Park which is in between finglas ( D11 ) and the navan road ( D7 ) for some reason has the D15 post code :rolleyes:

But it's always been D15, the halfway house and estate behind it is D15 (even though the house beside it on the Navan Rd is D7 :)), The Agricultural Institute is D15, so is the Ashton pound etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Texas wrote: »
    But it's always been D15, the halfway house and estate behind it is D15 (even though the house beside it on the Navan Rd is D7 :)), The Agricultural Institute is D15, so is the Ashton pound etc.

I think 1/2 of martin savage part is D15 and the other 1/2 is D7 from memory..

Yea you could argue that that end of the development is D15, but as far as i know they've made D15 stretch up as far as broom bridge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It was D15 when it was known as Pelletstown, which was prior to the rezoning.

• Advertisement

Thread split

2008 wants it's thread back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement