Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It is official - John Eagleton has retired from TV broadcasts

Options
  • 24-11-2010 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

It is with deep regret that I finally got confirmation from RTE just now that John Eagleton will no longer be seen on our TV:

This is the message I got back after I enquired:

"Yes, John Eagleton decided after 10 years of presenting the television weather forecasts for RTÉ to leave. He wanted to concentrate more on his meteorological work at Met Eireann and regrettably left us. He was a terrific member of the meteorological team here in RTÉ and is missed by all his RTÉ colleagues (though he continues to provide forecasts to the presenting team from Glasnevin when required). He particularly requested his departure from RTÉ to be low-key and did not wish to make any statements or have any publicity surrounding no longer presenting on television. RTÉ and Met Eireann complied with these wishes."

We wish John well, and thank him for his fun forecasts - He will be missed as we head into an epic winter.

We should of course respect the piece in bold but I wanted to share this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A real pity. He will be missed. You have to respect his decision, though. Presenting on tv must be very taxing after a while. All the best to him in his new role

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

John's final broadcast:

at 23mins 50 seconds

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2010/0824/9news.html#page=12

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dammit, always likes the 'Eagle'.

Someone not scared to turn a forecast into something interesting and exciting in a scientific way, not like some people on other broadcasters! cough Martin cough King cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

That's the best 2 now gone off screen now, himself and the Winking Wexford Weatherman :mad: Bring back Dr. Nulty :)

agree, i really have little time for Jean (despite the gear) or Siobhan, and Gerry is average at best.

Evelyn is the only real forecaster left who appreciates her viewers and really makes the weather interesting.

no hard swallowing, gulping or heavy breathing, or "now back to the present" comments

Evelyn - DO NOT LEAVE US!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Sad news :( John always made a forecast fun as already said above. He was someone who could connect with the public he was presenting too. Always subjective in his comments which proved he was a true meteorologist. We wish him all the best but it is going to take something special to fill in that cold, empty space he has left behind. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Sad news :( John always made a forecast fun as already said above. He was someone who could connect with the public he was presenting too. Always subjective in his comments which proved he was a true meteorologist. We wish him all the best but it is going to take something special to fill in that cold, empty space he has left behind. :(

+1 on this.

Real shame to see him leave the TV broadcasts but wish him all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A real shame indeed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

It's been a bad year, we lost Francis Wilson on sky as well :(

At least we still have Rob McElwee,Daniel Corbett and Helen Willetss on BBC.

My fav forecasters are getting thin on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

John was a great personality who struck a chord with all weather enthusiasts - whatever the weather, the winter won't be the same without him :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

I always loved to see John's forecasts - he would regularly manage to drop
    a little extra bit of weather information into his broadcasts and impart knowledge modestly and concisely.

Thanks John and many happy years cloud watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

inabina wrote: »
    agree, i really have little time for Jean (despite the gear) or Siobhan, and Gerry is average at best.

Evelyn is the only real forecaster left who appreciates her viewers and really makes the weather interesting.

no hard swallowing, gulping or heavy breathing, or "now back to the present" comments
    Evelyn - DO NOT LEAVE US!!!!

Ah leave Jean alone! ;):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

They are all going aswell. The BBC is getting rid of them. Not sure whether they have done it yet but they will and not just them. It was in the papers over there a few weeks back. Rob McElwee is definately leaving. The dumbing down of television continues.....

It really is so blatant in a way. Pressure charts should be mandatory for every broadcast but obviously the BBC feel that the general population are a bit thick!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

inabina wrote: »

QUOTE]

I must say I have a lot of time for Jean and Siobhan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Well at least we have laura on bbc;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Nooo... this can't be true:mad:...The eagel will be sorely missed and especially during impending cold snaps like this one.... If you read these threads john have a happy retirement from the tv.... No one deliverd a winter forcast like you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

DAMN! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

That's the best 2 now gone off screen now, himself and the Winking Wexford Weatherman :mad: Bring back Dr. Nulty :)

Evelyn is still there, now that will be a great pity if she ever decides to leave. But agreed, the Eagle and Ger Flemming were two of the three best, the third being Evelyn. So long John, you will be missed by many:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

That's a great pity. I loved his broadcasts, especially the fact that you could feel his enthusiasm for the subject coming across as he spoke. The best thing though was that he sometimes took time to explain some more complicated setups and either why they were important or why it was difficult to forecast because of them. He could be very informative and educational. I'll really miss him. He was a bit of a snow ramper as well which was always a bonus!

Wishing him many further years of health and happiness! Thanks for some very enjoyable times!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

A sad loss.My brother couldnt stand him,i thought he was very good though.Someone mentioned Francis Wilson,does anyone know why he left Sky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh no! I will miss the Eagle - he has well and truly flown away....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Sorely missed. he would be in his element this week!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭CarDriver

He will be missed especially with what is promised this weekend. Everyone would know what to expect. He is be missed on the television.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

squonk wrote: »
    That's a great pity. I loved his broadcasts, especially the fact that you could feel his enthusiasm for the subject coming across as he spoke. The best thing though was that he sometimes took time to explain some more complicated setups and either why they were important or why it was difficult to forecast because of them. He could be very informative and educational. I'll really miss him. He was a bit of a snow ramper as well which was always a bonus!

Wishing him many further years of health and happiness! Thanks for some very enjoyable times!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I believe he's started work on his autobiography, 'Where Eagles Dare...'

Best of luck John.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Did anyone happen to watch TV3 news last night after the Apprentice? I normally don't watch it but just happened not to change channel and lo and behold, the Eagle was being interviewed about this week's return of the wintry weather. It was good to see him again discussing snow on the small screen!!:) He looked a lot more youthful close up - maybe giving up the formal TV weather forecasts has been good for him - less pressure etc! You can view it on TV3 Catchup online.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Did anyone happen to watch TV3 news last night after the Apprentice? I normally don't watch it but just happened not to change channel and lo and behold, the Eagle was being interviewed about this week's return of the wintry weather. It was good to see him again discussing snow on the small screen!!:) He looked a lot more youthful close up - maybe giving up the formal TV weather forecasts has been good for him - less pressure etc! You can view it on TV3 Catchup online.

what show was it on ?

http://tvguide.tv3.ie/dgx/wbl.dll?h=69&a=37&tts=-1&noc=0&htd=2&dt=0&__utma=1.327727321.1286346027.1290450639.1292365311.5&__utmb=1.1.10.1292365311&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1286346027.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=13644471

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

So disappointing. The new generation is terrible. Siobhan Ryan my God the voice on her would turn my snot septic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Dammit, always likes the 'Eagle'.

Someone not scared to turn a forecast into something interesting and exciting in a scientific way, not like some people on other broadcasters! cough Martin cough King cough.
    I have to agree with you 100%, he will be missed and we have only one person left that makes the weather interesting, as for that clown on Tv3 enough said the better about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

My fav forecasters are getting thin on the ground.
    Didn't know Francis Wilson was gone from Sky, is he gone to another channel? Sadly missed too.

Advertisement