Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Link ban

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,410 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Ok, enough of that lads, back on topic.

--

Rightly or wrongly, I always ignore those signs at Bull Wall and on the East Link. However, I make an effort to get over both bridges faster than any car could. I figure if I'm going faster than any cars they won't be complaining about getting held up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Trojan wrote: »
    Rightly or wrongly, I always ignore those signs at Bull Wall and on the East Link. However, I make an effort to get over both bridges faster than any car could. I figure if I'm going faster than any cars they won't be complaining about getting held up.
    Indeed, I don't quite get the point of them anyway. Safety wise, there's not much difference between those bridges and any other. Besides, the exact wording is that 'cyclists are requested to dismount'. It doesn't say I have to. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

yes i think they put sign up because of the one way traffic on the bridge and because it is so narrow. And im assuming no one has put up an identical post!

sign says cyclist dismount. its there for a reason!

sign says cyclist dismount. its there for a reason!
    What reason? As above, how is the East Link any different to any other bridge/narrow road?

• Advertisement

because its a very narrow path. if someone comes towards you you wont be able to get past. either that or you will go on to the road.

because its a very narrow path. if someone comes towards you you wont be able to get past. either that or you will go on to the road.
    Considering that I'm always on the road anyway, the narrow path doesn't really bother me ;)

here is what you do. get off your bike at the bridge, and then get back on it when bridge end has finished. its a small stretch.

here is what you do. get off your bike at the bridge, and then get back on it when bridge end has finished. its a small stretch.
    That still doesn't answer the obvious question of why this is supposed to be necessary.

see post 37. As a former cyclist myself can see the logic of if myself. people are walking over that bridge too. how are you going to get past them.

• Advertisement

see post 37. As a former cyclist myself can see the logic of if myself. people are walking over that bridge too. how are you going to get past them.
    By not cycling on the footpath....

so you cycle on the road at the east wall bridge heading towards the point or in other direction!

so you cycle on the road at the east wall bridge heading towards the point or in other direction!
    Indeed, both. I commute that way :)

cars ever honk at you or anything

cars ever honk at you or anything
    Not on the East link, no. Generally while commuting traffic is heavy enough that it's them holding me up, rather than vice versa.

fair enough. Safe cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Bayviewclose might have a point there - maybe these signs are directed at cyclists who are (right or wrong) using the footpath. Doesn't make much sense otherwise.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yes, why on earth not?

Morgan wrote: »
    Bayviewclose might have a point there - maybe these signs are directed at cyclists who are (right or wrong) using the footpath. Doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Doesn't make much sense goes a long way to describe how cyclist are treated in a good few areas, including many of the poorly planned cycle paths.

In any case at least one of the signs say dismount when using the walkways and the carriageway. It furthermore doesn't make much sense as the speed limit is apparently 15km/h, a speed even a relaxed cyclist can surpass...
    monument wrote: »
    Yeah, but I really don't know why!? As you can see it's a "dead slow" 15km/h speed limit...

3492180247_85ff2b86dd_b.jpg

3492181863_3c90965174_b.jpg

monument wrote: »
    Yes, why on earth not?

Doesn't make much sense goes a long way to describe how cyclist are treated in a good few areas, including many of the poorly planned cycle paths.

In any case at least one of the signs say dismount when using the walkways and the carriageway. It furthermore doesn't make much sense as the speed limit is apparently 15km/h, a speed even a relaxed cyclist can surpass...
    the speed limit i think applies to that whole stretch because there is sea on both sides. that said does'nt stop some people who fly up the road heading towards the beach.

Advertisement