Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before considering medicine as a career READ THIS!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

hello i would just like to take a moment to thank everyone for all the information given, it as made me re-think my future but only for a fraction of a minute.

Im in 5th year now and im dyslexic but saying that my J.C i recived 7 A1s in all houners and a B2 in pass english has im sure your all aware of now :P!

but my question is for everyone all imput is wanted,
    since i can remember i wanted to be a docter and I love my country I love Ireland i love the people i love the land maybe not the prices but in genreal i love this place and deep in my heart i know i couldnt leave i just couldnt i would miss it to much and also i want a family here where i grew up im proud to be irish even with the way the country is at the moment i am proud to call myself one, but now i have to decide is it for me,
    what are the hours the real hours on average(there is like 30 diff opinions i dont no which is which) and ill be going to TCD so what is the set up do i do 5years there and then become and intern? and for how many years do i do that and where do i go from there??
    How do i get into GP?
    what are the average earnings of medics i.e internship junior senior etc
    for people in med and docters do you enjoy it would you do it again?
    how does it effect your relationships with your partner or spouse??
    do you see them often does it create conflict where you dont see them enough?

im really looking for a personal input on this i dont want to miss important thins with my family yano im the youngest of 7 brothers so you can imgaine what is the come weddings, children even ones outside of marrige ha and all the good things in life?? i love helping people but i also want to live a life where i meet someone i love and spend time with them while doing something i also love? is it a job where my career or my life come as one or can i have a family??

Iain

With your dyslexia, will you need extra time during exams? Probably an important thing to look into when applying. There are quite a few people with dyslexia here who are allowed to do their exams on computers and get an extra hour (for our main exam anyway). I don't know if this is a policy at all unis though.

Might be worth looking into before you do the HPAT as well.

Then of course, seeing how you did with the JC, maybe you don't need it at all. It's just that my experience at TCD wasn't the most supportive.

All the other stuff is answered on various threads on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 IainSymptom

With your dyslexia, will you need extra time during exams? Probably an important thing to look into when applying. There are quite a few people with dyslexia here who are allowed to do their exams on computers and get an extra hour (for our main exam anyway). I don't know if this is a policy at all unis though.

Might be worth looking into before you do the HPAT as well.

Then of course, seeing how you did with the JC, maybe you don't need it at all. It's just that my experience at TCD wasn't the most supportive.

All the other stuff is answered on various threads on this forum.

Yes i am in tilted to more time also i did use a laptop for my exams and that policy is at a all unis its in the law or so im told by my teacher to be able to accomadate someone with a learning problem.

well from all my experience there a few who even believe in dyslexia let alone know how to teach it

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I know just didnt think i would need it in this sorry ill use it from now on

Just wanted to say you sound like you've a great attitude, and you're bright as hell. Nailing those grades with dyslexia can't have been easy. It's the clever clogs like you who will be getting the elusive consultant posts down the line.

Keep up the good work. We need people like you in the profession. Don't worry about the knockers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 coffee maniac

I cant rmember if you said you're finished or not but is it that you dont like medicine full stop or medicine in Ireland ?

Everyone knows how hard it is going into medicine and maybe its just me ( Biomedical Science year 4 degree) who understands its more than just study study study from books that makes it hard but its the decision you made and you should understand that before ...

i think what you said is nearly sad that you put so much work in but what else would one expect from a doctor , its why they are regarded so highly and you mention about fetching laundry , why kind of trouble would you get in if you told them to sod off ? plus just think , all those above you have had to go through everything you are going through , its just the way things go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

plus just think , all those above you have had to go through everything you are going through , its just the way things go

I'm sorry are you seriously making this as a point. The system is ****, but it was **** before so best just accept it and get on with it ???? This pathetic excuse is why it never improves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 coffee maniac

I hope you're not a medical student asking me if I was " seriously making " that point because it sure as hell looked like I was making that point to me !!!!

both my parents are doctors, My friend in England is a doctor so I have views from " old fashioned " medicine and " modern day " medicine so if theres anyone who knows it , its me ... my parents are still happily married - do you think my mom and dad didnt have to sleep 1 out of 5-8 nights in a hospital - NO THEY SPENT ABOUT 2 nights every 5-8 days ontop of having three daughters , my friend is 28 and has been living with her fiancee for 2 years now and they're still going strong and have a good social life - MY POINT is if you want this then you have to just stop f***ing complaining about it like everyone seems to do , you all should have known better in the first place for getting into one of the hardest career choices worldwide DOT DOT DOT

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr.NickRiviera

Hey Boards! Just thinking about all of you back home! New Zealand is still an awesome option earthquakes n all for those who have had enough even for a year or so. SO SO much fun here...years of study were totally worth it! 22 of us out here now and counting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Hey Boards! Just thinking about all of you back home! New Zealand is still an awesome option earthquakes n all for those who have had enough even for a year or so. SO SO much fun here...years of study were totally worth it! 22 of us out here now and counting...

Where abouts are you working??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr.NickRiviera

South Island. Ill have to link some pics of the views from where we live to really get ur mouths watering...beach anyone? Just think lord of the rings scenery right out of your window. (Not the mordor part...)
    6 more months here then back to dublin...Have to say will miss this place already. If you can make the move I really recommend it. Myself and hundreds other swear by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WhosUpDocs

6 more months here then back to dublin...Have to say will miss this place already. If you can make the move I really recommend it. Myself and hundreds other swear by it!

So it's not a permanent thing then? Or are you choosing to come back for different reasons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Heres a question that I don't think has come up yet but I'm sure it'll be a factor for a lot of people in choosing this career path.

If I were to become a doctor is it likely that through human error,lack of sleep,complete accident etc.....I will end up killing someone at some point?

What are the consequences that follow if this happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Jaafa wrote: »
    Heres a question that I don't think has come up yet but I'm sure it'll be a factor for a lot of people in choosing this career path.

If I were to become a doctor is it likely that through human error,lack of sleep,complete accident etc.....I will end up killing someone at some point?

What are the consequences that follow if this happens?

It is unavoidable.

In some specialities like surgery it might at times be more dramatic and obvious, but it will happen to everybody. Give enough aspirin out for example and you'll run into a fatal GI bleed soon enough- you might not know it happened but it will.

As for consequences- a lot of the whole "informed consent" is to minimise this. Personal consequences- it's harder to say how any doctor will deal with the effects on themselves. Some seem to breeze through, but others agonise about things they had no control over anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

MrCreosote wrote: »
    It is unavoidable.

In some specialities like surgery it might at times be more dramatic and obvious, but it will happen to everybody. Give enough aspirin out for example and you'll run into a fatal GI bleed soon enough- you might not know it happened but it will.

As for consequences- a lot of the whole "informed consent" is to minimise this. Personal consequences- it's harder to say how any doctor will deal with the effects on themselves. Some seem to breeze through, but others agonise about things they had no control over anyway.

This.
    I'd also wonder - if a doc takes an aciton which leads to someones death, unless its stonkingly obvious, its highly unlikely that anyone will ever realise - including the doctor themselves. So many factors are at play that without an autopsy you just don't know exactly whats happened, and autopsies are rare enough in these parts really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

MrCreosote wrote: »
    It is unavoidable.

I see. But who decides if a patients death was unavoidable,an accident or a case of malpractice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Jaafa wrote: »
    I see. But who decides if a patients death was unavoidable,an accident or a case of malpractice?
    judge/jury :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

A coroner to be precise. A post-mortum will be performed in some circumstances if death isn't ruled 'natural'. Then it would go on to an inquest at the coroner's court.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭j.mcdrmd

I came across this article from the Medical Independent which may be of interest to some of you:-

http://www.medicalindependent.ie/blog-post.aspx?title=the_nchd_crisis_for_dummies

I am shocked at how NCHD's are treated in some hospitals and as I watch the situation unfold it is just getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

wow this is really helpful advice.. i might consider medicine now :/ what would you consider a good job then with good pay and good hours?

yournerd wrote: »
    wow this is really helpful advice.. i might consider medicine now :/ what would you consider a good job then with good pay and good hours?
    investment banker/hedge fund manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Most jobs with a long periods of working through the ranks (long hours, difficult circumstances, relatively lower wages) usually result in satisfactory hours and remuneration. I don't think Medicine is any different.

Nobody walks out of college into a 100k+ a year job regardless of their talent. Salary in investment banking are great for those that perform, software developers with high talent can also earn well within 10 years of leaving college. I think a survey performed by IDA or something showed that chartered accountants had the highest proportion of earners earning over 100k a year.

If you like the look of medicine (money) but not the hours investigate dentistry.

• Advertisement

Most jobs with a long periods of working through the ranks (long hours, difficult circumstances, relatively lower wages) usually result in satisfactory hours and remuneration. I don't think Medicine is any different.

Nobody walks out of college into a 100k+ a year job regardless of their talent. Salary in investment banking are great for those that perform, software developers with high talent can also earn well within 10 years of leaving college. I think a survey performed by IDA or something showed that chartered accountants had the highest proportion of earners earning over 100k a year.

If you like the look of medicine (money) but not the hours investigate dentistry.
    +1 for chartered accountancy (and NOT ACCA/CIMA etc. but proper CA.) and dentistry both awesome careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭j.mcdrmd

Who knows, but maybe mathsy jobs like accountancy or information technology if you are really good at maths, so few people are that these seem to be a good bet.

You will probably make enough money to live on and have some free time to spend it even in the early stages of your career. In other words you will have more control over your life.

You can even make the occasional mistake (you will, because everyone does), but you will be able to correct them.

You won't have a silly amount of debt to repay either, that is if you are thinking about GEM or have to rent during your course. Also you will start earning sooner, courses are shorter.

Overtime will probably happen at some stage but you will probably be paid for it in the early stages of your career and it is usually a choice (this does not include overtime in cases where you cannot keep up with normal amounts of work during the normal hours). When/if you reach the top you are usually paid for the job regardless of hours, then you work clever and work fast, easy if you are good at your job. Being bullied into working illegal hours for free because it is a matter of life or death just won't happen to you.

You might even be able to attend important life events with a degree of certainty. This covers anything from being a member of a sports team to attending school meetings and sports days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

yeah but how often can an account look at someone and think - he is alive because of me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

bubbleking wrote: »
    yeah but how often can an account look at someone and think - he is alive because of me :o

Or the terrifying alternative scenario...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

I think Iv already come to terms with the fact that I will eventually kill someone - its pretty unavoidable after all unless you are extremely lucky. You just have to realise that you will save more people than you will doom unless you are some kind of death angel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

investment banker/hedge fund manager. ? what does that involve?
    Do lawyers get paid good?
    The look of medecine from thie thread looks horrifying and the thing is you don't know what your going to get until you finish a 5/6 year course!
    Any other good careers out there?
    I also have languages as english irish french & russian?

investment banker/hedge fund manager. ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investment_banking ben bernanki, alan greenspan, JP morgan (founder of the investment firm) are/were big investment bankers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedge_fund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

investment banker/hedge fund manager. ? what does that involve?
    Do lawyers get paid good?
    The look of medecine from thie thread looks horrifying and the thing is you don't know what your going to get until you finish a 5/6 year course!
    Any other good careers out there?
    I also have languages as english irish french & russian?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investment_banking ben bernanki, alan greenspan, JP morgan (founder of the investment firm) are/were big investment bankers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedge_fund

Do you not think that we've gone way off topic with these and the other messages that I haven't bothered quoting?

I know this thread is all about getting people to seriously consider the realities of a career in medicine and the alternatives but let's not take things too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Is pharmacy a good alternative to medicine? I always wanted to do medicine but this thread is making me re-consider. I still want medicine but I want to keep my options open :rolleyes:

What jobs are available if you do pharmacy because I dont really like the idea of working in a shop :/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Is pharmacy a good alternative to medicine? I always wanted to do medicine but this thread is making me re-consider. I still want medicine but I want to keep my options open :rolleyes:

What jobs are available if you do pharmacy because I dont really like the idea of working in a shop :/

It would be about 2019/2020 before you/we would even graduate, by that time, only God would know what the system will be like, some things, all things possibly, could change by then. So I don't think you should be put off Medicine based on the current status of healthcare or other people's experience.

Advertisement