Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Sores

Options
  • 03-08-2006 10:47pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've got a nightmare coldsore. Its in the worst possible place, the very corner of my mouth. I can't open my mouth very wide without splitting it and then it hurts like a b1tch. I can't even luagh or eat properly! I don't get them very often but this one is terrible. Usually they go in a few days but this one seems to regrow every night! I'm smuthering it with Zovirax and dabbing it with aftershave, but does anyone know anything else that is good for getting rid of the nasty little buggers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Don't know about curing this one but Lycopene supplements are thought to be preventative. I've been taking them for a while now and noticed a reduction in my cold sores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

It is the amino acid Lysine that prevents them...ive been taking it for a while now and havent got one in well over a year.An amino acid called Arganine makes them thrive so avoid foods that are high in arganine like chocolate and peanuts..then taking a L-Lysine supplement (can get them at a health food shop..Solgar is the brand i use) 3 times a day and eating Lysine rich food (you'll be able to get a list on the net..google lysine rich foods) then you can speed up the healing process. Taking Vitamin C can also help speed up the healing process..Then taking the Lysine supplement once a day can help prevent them. There is loads of info on the net. Hope this works for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Yup you're right it is Lysine. Thanks Ruthee! :) Had just read an article about lycopene and must have had it on the brain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

I had one about 4 weeks ago and I needed to get rid of it fast because I had a dental appointment coming up. I read somewhere that nail varnish remover was good so I tried it. Lo & behold the coldsore disappeared in about 4 days. I dabbed it on about 6-8 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Did you see those little disguising patches - little clear circle plaster things that cover it up and keep it moist - they were advertising them in Sam McCauley's chemists...
    I hate having cold sores - nothing more depressing :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Strokesfan wrote:
    Did you see those little disguising patches - little clear circle plaster things that cover it up and keep it moist - they were advertising them in Sam McCauley's chemists...
    I hate having cold sores - nothing more depressing :(
    Yeah, these patches are from Compeed, and should be in Boots soon

Aparently they work better than anything else out there

I think the best thing t do is take Lysine and use whatever medication u choose

Advertisement