Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSC Business Analytics

Options
  • 11-07-2008 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

hey,

Anyone doing this course in September? I got accepted on to the course (part time). Just wondering what the interest is like.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Yup. I'm going to be doing that one.

What background are you coming from?

I'm straight out of a B.Comm myself and I'll be doing it full-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

hi,

i have a degree in electronic engineering, have been working as a software engineer/developer for the past 4 years. thought this course looked interesting and would help for a career change if i was to go down a different road!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Both those of you already signed up and other quant graduates may be interested in the bit about the MSc in Business Analytics in the Irish Times Innovation supplement today.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/innovation/2008/0714/1215725808124.html

thanks for posting that, it was an interesting read, im looking forward to this course now!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Senenpeter

Hey Jon,

I'm starting part-time in september too, great to hear some else is taking the plunge, im 3 years out of mech eng in TCD.

Tues/Thurs evenings for 2 years after work will be tough!

• Advertisement

hey,

yeah im not exactly relishing the idea of juggling work and college but sure has to be done! I'm curious to know what the uptake on the course is like considering its the first year they are running it...we are the guinea pigs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Senenpeter

Your really going out on a limb to satisfy that curiosity!

Seriously though, what are you think of getting into when we're done?

Two guys I know, both engs, did the MSc Mngt Science in 2003/04, won the MERC partners award for best dissertation and got headhunted for analyst roles by an investment bank in town...

for anyone doing the MSc in Business Analytics fulltime or still thinking about it there is now a scholarship

http://mis.ucd.ie/courses/analytics/Distinct-Scholarship

this is not open to part time students, as it involves doing your dissertation with a company and part timers are expected to work with their own employers.

Anyone still thinking about it would need to act quickly.

People interested in this degree next year might like to come along to the taster lecture on 1st April. The programme should be of interest to quant graduates, comp science etc.

http://www.smurfitschool.ie/tasteofmscba/

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Has anyone done this course last year, what are the career prospects like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

This programme used to be the Master of Management Science. There were always plenty of jobs for these graduates, since few enough people did the degree.

Quantitative graduates, maths, engineering, science etc interested in this programme might like to come along to the Smurfit School open day on Wednesday 22 May.

http://www.smurfitschool.ie/aboutsmurfit/eventscalendar/smurfitopenevening/

The MSc in Business Analytics presentation is at 17:30 and you might also be interested in the Quantitative Finance presentation at 18:00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tadpole

Would appreciate feedback from people who have taken or taking this course. Particularly those who went to do it part-time after a good few years working in the industry.

Also, are there any other similar courses being offered in Dublin?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Also see
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055470240

maybe pm some of these people?
    Also, are there any other similar courses being offered in Dublin?

There isn't a very similar course elsewhere in Ireland. If it is the maths end of things you are interested in then a MSc in Stats etc might be somehow similar. For more computer related programmes see the list of those funded by the HEA http://www.hea.ie/skills+funding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tadpole

graduate wrote: »
    Thank you, graduate!
    graduate wrote: »
    There isn't a very similar course elsewhere in Ireland. If it is the maths end of things you are interested in then a MSc in Stats etc might be somehow similar.
    I am actually more interested in data mining / knowledge discovery / machine learning. Did a MSc in applied maths about 15 years ago, but never really applied them as I have been working in IT all this time. So looking for a program to refresh and also deep-dive into DM/KD. The MSc Business Analytics course is the closest I could find so far to what I am looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dimbodoyle

Hi
    I've just accepted a part time place on this program, if anyone else is on the program this September pm me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bar32

Just accepted a place P/T in September 2013 for this course. If anyone else around don't be afraid to say hello! Started doing a bit o Java over the last week or 2...easing my way into it. Little bit nervous about the time commitment with work and college but we'll give it a go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dimbodoyle

I just finished it (bar the disseration) and I can say its really interesting but a lot of work. Less Java than you would expect. For Semester 1 I would focus on understanding probability (get a dummies book and you will be fine) and maybe matrcies.
    Feel free to PM me if you want some more details.

Advertisement