Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club: "The Diceman" - Luke Rhinehart / "Fooled by Randomness" - Nicholas T

Options
  • 17-07-2009 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Pick your preferred reading list 37 votes

A
    0% 0 votes
    B
    5% 2 votes
    C
    2% 1 vote
    D
    13% 5 votes
    E
    2% 1 vote
    F
    8% 3 votes
    G
    2% 1 vote
    H
    0% 0 votes
    I
    0% 0 votes
    J
    10% 4 votes
    K
    0% 0 votes
    L
    2% 1 vote
    M
    13% 5 votes
    N
    0% 0 votes
    O
    2% 1 vote
    P
    5% 2 votes
    Q
    2% 1 vote
    R
    2% 1 vote
    S
    2% 1 vote
    T
    0% 0 votes
    U
    8% 3 votes
    V
    10% 4 votes
    W
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

Do audio books count???? :P

**note** i cant read :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I nominate http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/444204/Frankenstein/Product.html

If it hasn't being read by everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Don't know whether to suggest books I've already read, books I'm intending to read or books I'd like to re read.
    One of each

Novel The Leopard

Novel The Diceman

Non Fiction Journey to the Ants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

+1 for The Diceman to start.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

One side is a good list the other side is horrible
    Ayn Rancid and L Ron Conman WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

ye +1 to the diceman, was going to start it this week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

anybody intrested in doing this with poker books as sure that it would have something to do with the poker forum.

read diceman in oz its a good book.

How are we going to decide on specific books?

FWIW I agree about Frankenstein. It's an amazing read and not at all what you might expect.

Personally I think "A Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley would be a great book to start on. Some real meat to get into there.

Have never read Diceman but given its rep I'd go for that either.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think that to decide on a book ye should takie it in turns to name a book, and create a list of people that name them in turn. I likely won't be reading many of them so I'm not going on any list if ye decide to do it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

The Diceman for me, i'm currently 1/3rd way through it though. Does that mean I am cheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

Ditto,The Diceman

Should we have a 1 week lead time to allow the peeps to order the book online? Some of the online shops have a book club deal, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Yeah I'll back the diceman. I nearly bought it a month ago but relented. This gives me the excuse to right a wrong (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

The Diceman is a good book to read when you are a teenager. Whatever you do, don't read the sequel, its appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

I'm gonna jump the gun and order the Diceman, coz I want to read it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭djsctt

+1 for The Diceman, was about to start it anyway...

Are we settled then that the Diceman is the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ordered,€8.70 or so on Book Depository

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Well I ordered The Diceman there, not sure I'll get it read in time, but it sounds good and it's seldom this forum's recommendations are off.
    Icarus152 wrote: »
    Ordered,€8.70 or so on Book Depository
    I bought it for GBP£4 (incl 3.96 delivery) from amazon in the marketplace used section. Hopefully it'll be OK. Although that bookdepository site looks pretty amazing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Amazingly, I've read this book, I guess that was the only way I was going to be part of the book club, de-fault, de-fault, de-fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

when do the reviews start? Some have read already.

+1 on Doms suggestion for book selection

Are we saying the reviews should begin in 30 days?

Maybe select the next book in 3 weeks so we can be reading it while we discuss this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Some really good books on that list!
    Of the ones i've read on it all of them were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Would it be worth having two books in any one month? Just because it is inevitable that someone will have read one of the books. There wouldn't be an expectation of reading both, but there would be one main book and another ancilliary book.

Like Dom's idea of a list of participants who take turns in recommending books.

EDIT: Just ordered it. Also ordered a much-needed time management book:

Getting Things Done by David Allen. Seems to be the time management book with the best recommendations.

btw this is my current amazon list of books i'm interested in ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Would it be worth having two books in any one month? Just because it is inevitable that someone will have read one of the books. There wouldn't be an expectation of reading both, but there would be one main book and another ancilliary book.

Like Dom's idea of a list of participants who take turns in recommending books.

Was just about to suggest that. Also I think perhaps we ought to agree on some structural issues. I think there should be an element of choice and voting on the books and also categories. Just having people recommend a book in order might lead to a run of types of books some won't want to read.

I would put forward something like this -

We create a list of interested people which may be added to at will. Each person creates a list of between 3 and 5 books that they have already read. If possible at least one should be a good book which is related to an area that they have some expertise in or they are very familiar with. So for example I would probably choose one psychology book and one philosophy book. At least one book should be a work of fiction.

We should make a pact not to choose pretentiously or try to impress anyone with our choices but be as genuine as possible (I will be recommending a tiny book by a Simpsons writer). We choose one person per 3 weeks and vote via thanks on their books until we have 2 options of which we will all read one, or both for those inclined (nobody will kick you out of the club if you choose to read others under your bedcovers with a torch).

Since we are going to be ordering we should set up a bookdepository (cheapest) affiliate so that someone can make money and we can do something with that money. I don't know how much that will work out at so we can decide whether we give it to charity, play a tourney, buy someone into a tourney, stick it on a horse or whatever when we figure out the kind of amount.

Um, I guess that's enough structurifying out for me for now. I'll go with whatever consensus can be reached obv.

edit: it might not be a terrible idea to extend idea and the chosen books to a circle of friends if anyone wanted to extend their discussions beyond here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Since we are going to be ordering we should set up a bookdepository (cheapest) affiliate so that someone can make money and we can do something with that money. I don't know how much that will work out at so we can decide whether we give it to charity, play a tourney, buy someone into a tourney, stick it on a horse or whatever when we figure out the kind of amount.
    Interesting. Rakeback on books!

hotspur wrote: »

edit: it might not be a terrible idea to extend idea and the chosen books to a circle of friends if anyone wanted to extend their discussions beyond here.

I had to look this word up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

+1 on the two books suggestion.

I have already read the diceman and I am sure that this will be the case with others. If we had 2 books on the go then there would be a better chance of people taking part in this as the probability of anyone having read the 2 choices will be slim.

Advertisement