Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing Advice

Options
  • 10-04-2007 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Starting a new build soon hopefully. Have a question about the heating system. I want to install an oil condensing boiler and a stove in the kitchen with a back boiler. I've looked at a few websites and the new condensing boilers don't seem to use a tank in the hotpress, would this cause a problem with running a solid fuel stove with back boiler to heat some radiators ? I'm a complete novice at this so bear with me. Also I've never liked having the burner in the house so would it be appropriate to site it in the garage without losing much performance wise.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Ted10 wrote:
    I've looked at a few websites and the new condensing boilers don't seem to use a tank in the hotpress

Your looking at combi oil boilers which are not that popular in Ireland. Gas combis are popular as they heat the hot water to the tap quicker.

You can get condensing oil boilers which will heat the cylinder of water in your hot press no problem.

Remember the water that gets heated by the oil boiler is the same water that heats your rads but is never mixed with the water than comes out of the hot tap. The heated water from the boiler passes through your cylinder in a large coiled pipe inside the cylinder.

If your going for a back boiler to heat your rads and your are going to link them you MUST have a open system which uses a small black tank in the attic to serve the heating.

good information here http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/whichboiler.htm

Linking a back boiler and an oil boiler is not easy but can be done. see systemlink.ie and http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/linkupsys.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ted10 wrote:
    .. Also I've never liked having the burner in the house so would it be appropriate to site it in the garage without losing much performance wise.

...depends on where the garage is.......part of the house, or detached...?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ted10

Detached, about 15 feet away. Thanks for the replies, should I source a boiler myself or wait until I've given the job to a plumber and get him to advise on what boiler to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Ted if you do locate the boiler in the garage, just be sure to use the really expensive pipe for bringing the heating water back into house, sorry cant think what its called right now but its double insulated and like i say really expensive.
    If you just run pipes in a sewer pipe underground you will have lovely underfloor heating outside, very expensive in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Ted10 wrote:
    Detached, about 15 feet away. Thanks for the replies, should I source a boiler myself or wait until I've given the job to a plumber and get him to advise on what boiler to get.

Depends on the plumber. Some may have experience of selecting different boilers etc but most just install the same gas boiler or the same oil boiler in every house they do.

Do some research yourself by going into the local plumbing merchants, heatmerchants etc and talk to the people there, get brochures, search the web. Most of all get prices.

By talking to the guys in the shops you will get a better idea of what’s available.

Of course you need to decide what you want. How much hot water, stored or not, linked or not, condensing/triple pass/standard, how big is house, what is the heat requirement – depends on insulation, walls, windows. Sealed or open vented. Indoor or outdoor etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Noviceman

Ted10, i am in the same position as you now, what did you end up doing were you happy with it? What i'm thinking of doing is using a solid fuel stove with built in back boiler to heat the downstairs rads in conjunction with a oil condensing boiler and solar panels all feeding into a 3 coil cylinder. My big concern will the solid fuel stove use up all it's heat heating the rads and not heat the kitchen\dining room where it is? Anyone have experience on this?

Advertisement