Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Question

Options
  • 28-01-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Im in 5th year and only after realising I've made a big mistake in my subject choices...I didnt pick a science subject and now the career I'm looking at requires me to have one. Is there any way of getting a good result (Higher C or above) in biology or any of the sciences without actually being in a class? I know I wouldnt really be able to do the experiments so would be at a serious disadvantage. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I would doubt it. Unless you had grinds, and not just one a week, even though that might do yeah. It really isn't much help just learning. You need to understand it cause if you don't its just going to be a big load of rubbish which will make no sense if you think about it.

Get the revise wise Biology book, apparently its really good. And get grinds?

Also for the experiments, you don't actually need to do them. Only know what you have to do for each and questions which could be related, as you'd see by looking at the questions.
    In my old school, they don't do the experiments, only read through them.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

So just with regards to the experiments; its not like the junior cert? An experiment book isnt handed in and graded? All thats needed is a knowledge of what the experiments entail so you can answer questions on them on the paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Exactly. They're pretty easy to learn as well. Theres a good few of them but none of them should really cause any problems in learning. Its nothing like the JC, I never handed in my experiment copy/thing. Got a C without it, that was pass though. And now I'm doing honours Biology.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Thanks mate. The only thing really stopping me was the thought of losing a big chunk of marks due to not doing experiments. Learning it myself could be a real option now! Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

Biology is definitely a subject that you could study on your own. Just keep in mind that it's a long course and a lot of information to learn, so you would have to work at it steadily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

I started studying biology on my own at home in about october of 6th year and had it finished by the end of january. The only problem I had is that I neglected studying my other subjects, which has led me to repeating! (I'm sticking to that excuse!).

It is definately doable to do by yourself. If I was you I'd start now or over the summer (though that might be a bit of a distraction), just dont leave it too late to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

I think Biology would be the easier of the three, and myself and a friend were actually just having this conversation yesterday, we thought Biology and History were probably the only subjects you could teach yourself.
    Go for it, I'm sure grinds and revision books would be great, and if you live near Dublin the Institute will probably have intense revision courses over easters and christmases and such:)

Advertisement