Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engine Problems

Options
  • 29-12-2005 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi there ALL,

Have a .18 engine that will not start, there was a soft seize on it which thanks to tallus got it cleared, but now there is a problem it will not start, check everything on the engine but there is one thing that we did notice and that was the fuel (when engine floods) is leaking from the drive shaft, and the engine can flood put it feels like its not then the fuel leaks from this point.

I just guessing that the engine cannot start due to a leak and if i clear the fuel it still wont start as there is an air (valcuum Leak) in the engine.

This is a new engine only 3 tanks have gone thru, The car is a nitrotek and the engine ran fine just wonder if there is any hope for this engine, i have contacted the supplier but there on holidays til 3rd. As i can see the engine needs to be replaced.

Any Thoughts would be welcomed
    Weety

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

i dont really have much help for ya but you really have to get a full new engine woulkd ya? there could be just part that isnt going well and that could be repared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Weety

well its under warranty and if this a engine that has a faulty part then it should be replace as what to say I would have to get an engine 6 months down the road when I have only ran a few mode tanks tru the engine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Weety wrote:
    ... what to say I would have to get an engine 6 months down the road when I have only ran a few mode tanks tru the engine....
    You may be surprised to read this - but a "budget" model engine is usually designed with a lifespan of under 15 hours runtime in mind. This is how the cost is got down.

So 6 months might be optimistic for some makes of car.

OTOH a "hard" engine might give this amount of runtime during one month of use, and keep doing it for 2-5 years.
    (Don't know about your make, never used it)

Fuel leak from engine:
    Possible cause no 1
    The fuel leak sould not happen, esp while engine is running, and if it happens while engine is running it suggests either a bent crankshaft, or a faulty seal at front or rear of engine.
    Possible cause no 2
    On very rare occasions a very new engine that is not run in, with exceptionally tight piston-liner fit, can "blow" fuel out the front bearing while running, if this is the cause, the problem should stop by itself very soon after beginning in the running-in process. Maybe after running for the second time.
    I have only seen this once, and I have handled many engines - as I said - it is very rare, and not likely to be the same as your problem.
    Weety wrote:
    well its under warranty and if this a engine that has a faulty part then it should be replace ....
    It is like all machines, a faulty part would be replaced, not the engine. Unless the problem was structural like eg a faulty crankcase casting.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

well first did you check everything, glowplug is ok or battery is charged lift of the plug and pull the cord insuring that feul is coming out. My suggestion if it is ok is to first if it is flooding loosen the plug slightly and try starting ,excess fuel will come out at the plug, now only about 1/2 turn or so open if it starts up tighten the plug down straight away. Another thing is if it is getting to much fuel is to lean off the topend needle a turn if it starts up increase the needle back to its orginal postion while it is running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

The fuel came out of the crankshaft without the engine running, if he tried to send fuel to the carb by covering the exhaust and pulling the chord, that's when fuel leaked, I was there at the time and saw it myself, never seen it before I have to say.

• Advertisement

Is that coming out of the front bearing into the clutch area, and dripping down there?

Is it possible the fuel is leaking out of the fuel nipple on the carb where the fuel tube joins onto the carb?

It's coming out near the flywheel if my memory serves me right.

It's most likely the front bearing in that case.
    Check it's not coming from the glowplug threads, and down onto the flywheel from above, and then you should be 100% sure it's front bearing.

Cheers man he will appreciate the help :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

The fuel is comming out of the front of the engine not the glow area, you can hear the air when you try to prime the engine, so its more like the bearing on the front is gone. The Engine is a TEAM INIFINTY 18 Pull Start, fitted to a ACME Condor Buggy. TIGER THUNDER i think thats the name have the same engine accorfing to some sites.

Cya
    weety

• Advertisement
Advertisement