Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wesley disco information

Options
  • 24-09-2009 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

My son (15) & friends are going to the Wesley Junior disco for the first time.

I know all the horror stories but am looking for other information such as what time does it start, are there big queues, will the definitely get in, what time does it finish, is there much trouble (fighting) etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Snowman123

It has been a long time since I have been to Wesley but I wouldnt let my son go now. I know that makes me a hypocrite but from what I remember even though no alcohol is served.. there was always drink available! Also no, he is no guaranteed to get in. There were never many fights but at 15 he will see more than he should!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I have a 16 year old daughter and she has been there despite our best efforts. I have heard all the stories and successfully kept our eldest daughter from going there.

However, after sitting outside Wez for many a night waiting for my daughter and her friends to emerge my overall impression is that it is well run. All are searched on the way in for drink and I suppose weapons. The very drunk do not get in. If the odd one does get in there is a "drunk room" staffed by someone with some medical training where they keep an eye on your pride and joy until you arrive.

Any involved in fighting are ejected immediately. At the end of the night they have stuarts who usher the kids across the road to the long lines of SUV's waiting for yours and their 5 friends who don't have a lift. The local gardai in Donnybrook keep a constant eye on proceedings with regular foot patrols and mobiles if there is an "incident".

Overall it wasn't that bad an experience as a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ndolan

Thanks for replies so far.
    He has permission to go, I will be dropping them off and collecting them so I expect they will go in sober and leave in a similar state.
    What time should I drop them off so they will get in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You must be vigilant.

If he comes back and refers to Heinos or Drico, or worse still: starts popping his collars, have him immediately assessed by the proper professionals.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

a good hint is to turn up earlier than you said,you'll soon see if it's where your son should be!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

a good hint is to turn up earlier than you said,you'll soon see if it's where your son should be!

Good point.. and also wait around to see if he gets in.
    I know I never did. So I used to go drinking in the park and parents were none the wiser.

Im not sure on openin and closing times though, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

we used to go on our own and lash back the flagans in a park and roide the young wans sure it was great crack:D

Sorry I thought it was the after hours thread

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ndolan

They queued up just after 7 and were 1st there
    It opened just before 8 and had a big queue by then
    He said if he was going again he would not go until after 8 unless it was a big night.
    They arrived out shortly after midnight. They were not overly impressed but said it was well run with security everywhere. There was not a sniff of drink off any of them.
    From my point of view it looked fine outside with security keeping an eye on things in the street, no trouble, drunks or fighting (unlike the discos I went to in Meath as a teenager).
    The only thing that would alarm me was the little girls clip-clopping along in their high heals with every skirt shorter than the next. It may be the fashion but I'm glad I don't have a daughter (yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

When you have boys you worry - when you have girls you pray!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

There was a serious incident outside of Old Wes a few weeks/months back. I'm sure security has been tightened as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lilbreppintc

For god's sake people! Going to wesley is all part of the growing up process... Sure there is a possibility of drink there but theres always going to be a posibility of it. You cant just ban your children from everything, they need to be trusted to make the right choice, and occasionaly the wrong one.

Dont smother them or they'll explode in a much worse way then is you were to let them make a mistake and steer them back tot he straight and narrow. If you dont trust them now when will you?

In my experience of Wesley (i was there about a month ago and im 14) if he isnt a member/ majority of his group are not members then he will want to get there about 7pm. It cost me i think €15 to get in and there were cans of coke and 7up for like €1. It ends at 12:00pm bu MAKE SURE he leaves at 11:55pm or ese he will be crushed by the stamped of other kids.

If your wondering about the lay out there is a dance floor as soon as you come in and there is a side room with the drink stall and then outside there is alot of seating area. When u arrive to pick him up park in at the garage across the road and wait, dont go in until 12:10 (tell him you'll come in at 12:05 though =P).

I hope this covers all you need to know.
    Lilbreppintc

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

As a 14 year old...your first paragraph is moot. That's why you have a little thing called parents....to guide you in the right direction and slap yis over the head when your being silly! ;)

I'm 20....not exactly over the hills yet. I wouldn't let my kid go to Wesley more because of the other muppets that DO go.

That serious incident I was talking about in my last post? A bunch of drunk guys beat of another guy for no reason...I do not think the attacked party was drinking. A friend of mine was accross the road when it happened....he was very badly attacked, and ended up in hospital in quite a serious condition. I'm sure that's why the security seemed so tight recently...things like that not exactly good for the old image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Do they still ask you where your from and what school you got to at the door?

When I was going there, oh a good 14 yrs ago now, if you were from the Northside you weren't allowed in, so we all had to lie about our addresses and schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lilbreppintc

They do still ask you for the name of your school, didnt see anyone getting rejected though. I saw the security taking away some beer but that atleast means they do look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

your joking? let him hav his freedom... hes 15... i let my daughter go at 12 to a special first year 1 ..... u gotta face their growing up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

It is nowhere near as bad as they say it is on the radio. They check all the bags, drunk people get thrown in the drunk room. I've only been once or twice, its not really my thing, but I've never known anyone have anything awful happen to them. Its nothing like the debauchery Joe Duffy would like you to believe. You know your son, if he's the type to cause hassle, hassle will be caused. If not he'll be fine.

The queues aren't that long, maybe 30 minutes if you get there on time (I think it starts either half 7 or 9, I can't remember) and it finishes about 1. He'll definitely get in as long as he isn't drunk, isn't causing hassle and looks in around his age.

Advertisement