Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2010 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford, Sunday August 29th

Options
  • 27-05-2010 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Entry is now open for the 2010 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford
    Sunday August 29th 2010
    There are 3 routes to choose from:
    The 160k Kelly Comeragh Challenge
    The NEW 90k Kelly Coast
    The 50k Kelly Cruise

Also for some family fun a new event has been added for 2010 on Saturday 28th August the 10k Kelly Ten for over 7's

The 2010 event promises to be bigger & better that ever. 2009 saw over 2,700 cyclists participate in the event & raise over 55k for the Irish Cancer Society.

This is an event not to be missed - there will be a souvenir jersey for all participants & a great Waterford Welcome!!
    check out www.theseankellytour.com for more info & registration!
    PRE-REGISTRATION ONLY - NO REGISTRATION ON THE DAY!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

kphelan wrote: »
    Entry is now open for the 2010 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford
    Sunday August 29th 2010
    There are 3 routes to choose from:
    The 160k Kelly Comeragh Challenge
    The NEW 90k Kelly Coast
    The 50k Kelly Cruise

Also for some family fun a new event has been added for 2010 on Saturday 28th August the 10k Kelly Ten for over 7's

The 2010 event promises to be bigger & better that ever. 2009 saw over 2,700 cyclists participate in the event & raise over 55k for the Irish Cancer Society.

This is an event not to be missed - there will be a souvenir jersey for all participants & a great Waterford Welcome!!
    check out www.theseankellytour.com for more info & registration!
    PRE-REGISTRATION ONLY - NO REGISTRATION ON THE DAY!!

i hope the T shirts are bigger also .

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭blanco

Why no map for the 90k?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

New route - probably hasn't been mapped out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭blanco

There's a discription. Just no map

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Looks like the 90k is the coast road from Dungarvan to Tramore and back, but going slightly away from the coast a bit on the way towards Tramore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

How hard is the 160k the description seems designed to put you off would like to do it but time for training wont be huge for next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

@ poolboy: The 160 is a good one but a TOUGH one. I've not missed it since it's first year and I would thoroughly recommend it. BUT it is a proper challenge cycle.

First it's the distance it is - you'd really need to have at least a few 160km rides under the belt to get around this one in good order.

Secondly it has some significant enough climbs on the route (assuming it is unchanged from previous)

1. Seskin Kill - a short but steep hill bridged in the middle by a hairpin turn. Could pull the legs off a donkey - worth either a) being a strong climber or b) having some good climbing gears to help with this one
    2. Powers the Pot - longish drag of a hill, steepness not really a factor in the difficulty just duration and road that doesn't give a lot back to you (a bit dead)
    3. Mahon Falls - a good climb, longish with varying steepness with a bit of a kicker at the last 50mtrs. Weather a bit of a factor on this one - with a head wind it's serious work, without its still work and with a tailwind I haven't experienced. Extreme caution on the descent advised.
    4. Mama Rd. - Actually this one is a piece of p!ss, just to pace yourself over the route so that you've energy in the legs when you come to this point. Once you've this done you're on the road home!

Ok, you might be going 'jeebus, it still sounds like a lot of hard work' but trust me on this - if you can get some quality training in (get distance and climbing into the legs) and complete the course there's a great sense of achievement and you can chalk it down as completing one of the most testing sportives in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Best...sportive...ever!

Where else can you casually ride up alongside a cycling legend and tell him to put the hammer down?

Che is right, the 160 is a tough one but if you can ride around 160km and take in some of the big hills of wicklow (say a wicklow gap, SM and SE training route) then you can do this. It is all about pacing like he says, try not to use up too much fuel before Mahon Falls. Don't go crazy on Seskin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Agree with Dirk. Best sportive of the lot. Also allows certain Italian cyclists to pose as they crest Mahon Falls with a smile on their face :)
    Will we be seeing the Liquigas-Doimo gear this August?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Seskin Kill - a short but steep hill bridged in the middle by a hairpin turn. Could pull the legs off a donkey - worth either a) being a strong climber or b) having some good climbing gears to help with this one
    1. Powers the Pot - longish drag of a hill, steepness not really a factor in the difficulty just duration and road that doesn't give a lot back to you (a bit dead)
    2. Mahon Falls - a good climb, longish with varying steepness with a bit of a kicker at the last 50mtrs. Weather a bit of a factor on this one - with a head wind it's serious work, without its still work and with a tailwind I haven't experienced. Extreme caution on the descent advised.
    3. Mama Rd. - Actually this one is a piece of p!ss, just to pace yourself over the route so that you've energy in the legs when you come to this point. Once you've this done you're on the road home!
    My god it reads like a desert menu from a michelin star restaurant!!

I Cant wait!

@Poolboy you have over 90 days to get ready for this, plenty of time, you may not stay with the lead group but you'll get around with a smile at the end. Thats the beauty of sportives as opposed to races!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Best...sportive...ever!

Where else can you casually ride up alongside a cycling legend and tell him to put the hammer down?

Che is right, the 160 is a tough one but if you can ride around 160km and take in some of the big hills of wicklow (say a wicklow gap, SM and SE training route) then you can do this. It is all about pacing like he says, try not to use up too much fuel before Mahon Falls. Don't go crazy on Seskin!

This was done on top of one of the climbs in Tour of Sligo but the guy could not match SK's descending skills and ended up on his arse in a bog:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Esroh wrote: »
    This was done on top of one of the climbs in Tour of Sligo but the guy could not match SK's descending skills and ended up on his arse in a bog:D

What do you mean SK! Dirkvoodoo was referring to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Looks like they are completely splitting the old 100k and 160k routes, which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kphelan

The Map fo the 90k Kelly Coast is now available to view on
    the Sean Kelly Tour Website! www.theseankellytour.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

sy wrote: »
    What do you mean SK! Dirkvoodoo was referring to me

I presumed he was being sarcastic thats why I thought it as a good thing to tell the SK story.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Best...sportive...ever!

+1. Best I've done. Organisation, food, facilities, people second to none.

To top it off I got to ride with the great man and got my picture in Cycling Weekly riding with him. He filters up and down the peloton between Dungarvan and Carrick like only the pros can. Rode up Seskin Hill with him -he told us he used to do it on his fathers old black bike. We were struggling on a 39/25! A great man and a great ambassador for the sport.

Descent of Powers the Pot in particaulr can catch people out-hit 90+ coming down and a rider in front vaulted the hedge on the first bend (he survived but the bike needed work).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

100Suns wrote: »
    +1. Best I've done. Organisation, food, facilities, people second to none.

To top it off I got to ride with the great man and got my picture in Cycling Weekly riding with him. He filters up and down the peloton between Dungarvan and Carrick like only the pros can. Rode up Seskin Hill with him -he told us he used to do it on his fathers old black bike. We were struggling on a 38/25! A great man and a great ambassador for the sport.

Descent of Powers the Pot in particaulr can catch people out-hit 90+ coming down and a rider in front vaulted the hedge on the first bend (he survived but the bike needed work).

That descent off Powers the Pot is something else alright, you don't even realise it until your doing 60kph+

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭paulieb2006

Cant wait for this one myself. Worked up to the 100k last year, using The An Post Burren, Pokadot challange in ballinrobe and a few others to get the distance.
    This year I am doing the Tour De Cure, Croi Tour de Lough Corrib, An Post Burren Challenge and Ring of Kerry to build up to the 160k in Tour of Waterford. Really looking forward to it.
    Its definitely the best organized Sportive which I have done. The new 90k route is a testing spin not many big climbs but some nasty little lumps of about 3-400m but of a serious gradient. I have a mobile home on clonea strand in Dungarvin and use that route for training quite a bit.
    BRING IT ON........

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Just a quick bit of information for those doing the 160k . I had a spin this morning up Seskin , it's been closed for the last 2 or 3 weeks . Waterford county council have done a great job on that little hairpin bend you come across halfway up ( before the ascent to the golf club) . It was always a bit hairy trying to negotiate it with lots of riders turning at the same time , but they've done a great job of widening it and re-surfacing that section . Should be a great help . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Deisetrek wrote: »
    Just a quick bit of information for those doing the 160k . I had a spin this morning up Seskin , it's been closed for the last 2 or 3 weeks . Waterford county council have done a great job on that little hairpin bend you come across halfway up ( before the ascent to the golf club) . It was always a bit hairy trying to negotiate it with lots of riders turning at the same time , but they've done a great job of widening it and re-surfacing that section . Should be a great help . ;)

Awesome. I think Seskin is the best part of the whole day, everyone is still together (Mahon Falls tends to be more spread out) and it's short and steep enough to give it some welly without having to worry about pacing.

Hopefully this year I can get my photo on that hairpin, if the photographers frequent this forum PLEASE get one of me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Thanks for the replies 160k it is so, not to worried about the distance (doing rok) just had no idea what the climbs are like down there the slieve blooms are my training hills so i guess ill have to head for them every chance i get

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I rode up seskin on Thursday just before the Ras, and the co council have done a superb job on the bend in the middle of it, far safer going up that part part in a bunch now, pity they didn't level out the last 100 metres aswell though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

That descent off Powers the Pot is something else alright, you don't even realise it until your doing 60kph+

60 KPH...... ???? get outa that .... lay off the brakes will ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MushGSXR

just signed up for the coast, first proper road cycle i have signed for, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Would I be allowed do the 160 on an MTB? I don't own a road bike but I like going up hills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Would I be allowed do the 160 on an MTB? I don't own a road bike but I like going up hills

Don't think they'll stop you but you'll be at a disadvantage for the day. No one you could borrow a road bike from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

kphelan wrote: »
    The Map fo the 90k Kelly Coast is now available to view on
    the Sean Kelly Tour Website! www.theseankellytour.com
    Not a great map; where exactly is the top of powers the pot and how high is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

recedite wrote: »
    Not a great map; where exactly is the top of powers the pot and how high is it?

Powers the Pot is on the 160k route not the 90k route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Junior wrote: »
    Powers the Pot is on the 160k route not the 90k route
    Sorry, yeah I knew that, but i wasnt making myself clear. I see now there is an altitude graph thingy which puts it at just over 400m above sea level(ie the start at Dungarvan is at sea level). I presume the top is somewhere in the brown coloured area of the map.The text is not pinpointing it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Here is the route on mapmyride.
    I've attached an excel file with the elevation/distance on it - it's easier to pick out markers than the mmr elevation graphics - the distance on those is always a bit weird.

The top of Powers the Pot is after 91km, the top of Mahon Falls is after about 123km and Mama peaks at about 136km.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement