Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patrick's well..Nassau St

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Interesting stuff Degsy, I've never even heard of this well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Nice one mate!!! I wonder if there is a connection to the now culverted river Stein?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the amount of orbs in the second pic, spooky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Degsy wrote: »

when not update the wik page with your photos ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Looks great. I'd known about the well, but wasn't aware it still existed!

Did you get down any further? Looks like a great place.
    the amount of orbs in the second pic, spooky

Dust illuminated by the flash and appearing out of focus in the lens ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Hey thanks for them pics! I have been wondering for years if that well really exists or not. Any water?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I only recently (like last week) noticed the 'Bóthair Tobair Pádraig' above Nassau St and was wondering where the well was, and how long it must have been there in order to have the name survive until today. Excellent find :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The vaulting at the front of the well is modern(circa 1970) and is made out of concrete but further in is georgian(or possibly older) brickwork that forms an arch over the shrine itself,which i beleive is made from stone.

If you look to he bottom left of the pics you can see a sort of step
    downwards,the well itself is left of this step and from what i can gather its a rectangular pool and quite deep.

I'm going to get the key to it and head inside then i can get some shots of the water.
    In regard to an underground river,there's certainly one that flows under the college and right underneath the 1937 Reading Room.
    During particulary high tides the water from the liffey can back up along its course and has caused flooding in the basement of the reading room.
    There's a pump installed in the floor that drains a pool about two feet across.This would appear to be roughly in line with the location of the well and maybe 20 yards away.
    I dont know if anybody can help but the story goes that a carved stone slab was found in the well and now residedes in St patrick's Cathedral..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That would have made a very obscure pic in the Picture Game thread Degsy!! Even victor would have been under pressure! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If you need any help taking photos down there, you know where to get me :p

• Advertisement

Here's an article i dug out about the well:
    This article was published in Trinity News on January 27, 2009, with the headline 'A dry well, if not a dry Commons', the seventh of the 'Old Trinity' columns.

Untitled-1-703934.jpg
    Trinity’s holy well

LOOKING THROUGH the railings at the entrance to college on Nassau Street one can see, below street level, what looks like a gated doorway leading under the road. This is St Patrick’s Well, Trinity College’s own “holy well”. Holy wells – outdoor centres of popular piety – were hugely popular in Ireland in previous centuries, and St Patrick’s Well was once frequented by large crowds on March 17th.

Nassau Street itself was called St Patrick’s Well Lane until it was renamed (after the royal house of Nassau) in the 1700s. The name in Irish continues to be Sráid Thobar Phádraig, as street signs attest.

The oldest mention of a well in the area is in a 12th century Life of St Patrick. The author refers to a “fountain of St Patrick” existing in Dublin. The Life says that St Patrick, in the manner of Moses in Exodus, struck a rock with his staff. The rock then “flowed forth abundant waters”.

In 1592, when Trinity College was founded, the description of property granted to the new college defined the southern border as “the lane that leads to St Patrick’s Well to the south of the monastery”.

It was around this time that the St Patrick’s Well’s popularity among Dubliners was at its height, and a dismissive English writer in around 1610 left us an account of devotions at the well. On St Patrick’s Day, he wrote, “the water is more holy than it is all the year after, or else the inhabitants of Dublin are more foolish upon this day than they be all the year after.” On that day, he wrote, “thither they will run by heaps, men, women and children, and there, first performing certain superstitious ceremonies, they drink of the water”.

At the end of that century, a story goes, frogs were introduced to Ireland at St Patrick’s Well. A doctor, “a very good protestant ... to show his zeal against popery”, allegedly brought frog spawn from Liverpool and deposited it in the well.

In 1729 the well ran dry, inspiring Jonathan Swift to write his satirical poem On the sudden drying up of St Patrick’s Well, near Trinity College, Dublin. “Here, from the neighbouring nursery of arts/The students, drinking, raised their wit and parts” he wrote. Public pressure led Dublin Corporation to restore the flow of water to the well two years later.

While the opening underneath the Nassau Street entrance currently claims the title of St Patrick’s Well, and has done so for quite some time, it is unlikely to be very same well which has such an interesting history. Several sites along Nassau Street have claimed to be the well of pilgrimage of 400 years ago, with that at the Arts Building entrance being the latest. Early Dublin maps place St Patrick’s Well nearer to what is now Lincoln Place.

The renovation of the Provost’s House Stables has led to increased and easier access to the well, and a new publication, The Provost’s House Stables: Building and Environs, contains an excellent investigation into the history of the well by Dr Rachel Moss.

The vaulting at the front of the well is modern(circa 1970) and is made out of concrete but further in is georgian(or possibly older) brickwork that forms an arch over the shrine itself,which i beleive is made from stone.

If you look to he bottom left of the pics you can see a sort of step
    downwards,the well itself is left of this step and from what i can gather its a rectangular pool and quite deep.

I'm going to get the key to it and head inside then i can get some shots of the water.
    In regard to an underground river,there's certainly one that flows under the college and right underneath the 1937 Reading Room.
    During particulary high tides the water from the liffey can back up along its course and has caused flooding in the basement of the reading room.
    There's a pump installed in the floor that drains a pool about two feet across.This would appear to be roughly in line with the location of the well and maybe 20 yards away.
    I dont know if anybody can help but the story goes that a carved stone slab was found in the well and now residedes in St patrick's Cathedral..

That river sounds bang on for the Stein. It runs down under South Great Georges Street and then veers towards Dame Lane and towards College Green. I encountered it during a visit to an excavation in Georges Street :D!

That slab is in St Patricks as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

boneless wrote: »
    That river sounds bang on for the Stein. It runs down under South Great Georges Street and then veers towards Dame Lane and towards College Green. I encountered it during a visit to an excavation in Georges Street :D!

That slab is in St Patricks as far as I remember.

I thought the stein ran down under grafton street.

(and according to the map, tis the Poddle under South Great Georges Street.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

metro_appendix_5.jpg
    heres map of trinity ground water
    http://www.tcd.ie/Buildings/projectsmetro.php

which entrance do you mean, near the dentists end or kilkenny design shop crosswalk entrance

The styne doesnt flow under the 37 reading room according to that map,either there's another river there or the water table is extremely high and water from elsewhere backs up during high tides.

I thought the stein ran down under grafton street.

(and according to the map, tis the Poddle under South Great Georges Street.)

The poddle, as far as I know, doesn't run down Georges Street. I was always told it was the Stein but hey, archaeologists are not always right :D!! And consultants do get it wrong by times too.

The poddle, as far as I know, doesn't run down Georges Street. I was always told it was the Stein but hey, archaeologists are not always right :D!! And consultants do get it wrong by times too.

Speaking of archeologists..there's a bunch of them examining St patrick's well on wednesday.
    I'm gonna bring the camera down and see if they let me have a bit of a nosey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The Poddle flows down/across South William Street at one point, the glass floor of Ba Mizu shows it. Pretty close to Georges Street.

I have lectures in the Stables, I walk past the well a lot, I'd LOVE to see it properly. I've never heard of it possibly not being the same old medieval well though?

Speaking of archeologists..there's a bunch of them examining St patrick's well on wednesday.
    I'm gonna bring the camera down and see if they let me have a bit of a nosey.

Keep your hand on your wallet :D! There are lots of unemployed archaeologists at the moment...

Keep your hand on your wallet :D! There are lots of unemployed archaeologists at the moment...

Will you be in attendence?

• Advertisement

Will you be in attendence?

I won't unfortunately... I am putting the finishing touches to my thesis at the moment....:confused:... and I am a bit stumped for a cut-off point....

Righto..the gate was open this afternoon although none of the archeologists have shown up yet so i snuck a few pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Great pictures Degsy. Until I saw the third picture I thought there were dead rats in there!

MediaTank wrote: »
    Great pictures Degsy. Until I saw the third picture I thought there were dead rats in there!

Nope just leaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Pretty cool pics :) Hadn't heard of the well before but will make sure to admire the street sign next time I pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Nice one. Any idea how deep it is? Could try the old stone on a string to get some idea of the depth next time.

tricky D wrote: »
    Nice one. Any idea how deep it is? Could try the old stone on a string to get some idea of the depth next time.

Word has it that its originally forty feet deep but its silted up now to the extent that its about 4 feet at the moment.
    A guy from the buildings office tells me that there's plans afoot to pump out the silt and examine it for finds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

40!! That's interesting. If there's enough flow in the lower strata, they could possibly put the water through a heat exchanger and use the heat in the Arts Block perhaps. They do this down the other end from the borehole opposite Pearse St Station and almost under the rail bridge (indicated on the map earlier in the thread). They pump it out at 14 degrees, take 4 out and pump it back and use it for the O'Reilly - something like that, I'm a bit rusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

Fascinating pictures of St Patrick's Well which I have known abiout but never seen. Not many people know that the water rights were owned by Cantrell & Cochrane whose plant was based in Nassau Street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Fascinating subject. Goes to show how long one can live in Dublin and not know half the stuff that is hidden around the city009.gif
    Thanks for sharing.

Advertisement