Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mythical: A basic set of rules for beginners

Options
  • 04-08-2007 5:21am

NOTE: This is by no means a comprehensive list of rules for the game. I am sure I will miss a few and be corrected by my fellow posters.

Intro:

Mythical is a variation on Gin Rummy played with 2 full decks of cards and without jokers.

Players: Recommended Max is 4, minimum 2

To Start:

The deck is thoroughly shuffled but never spread out face down on the table and each player cuts the deck, the lowest exposed card gaining the deal.

Each player is then dealt 10 cards face down with the deal going clockwise.

It is the dealer's responsibilty to ensure all players have no more than 10 cards, if any player has more than ten and the first card is turned over he must finish his hand with that number of cards. If he has less he must "dip" (see below) and not throw on his first turn. A player with 11 or more cards CANNOT finish with 4 sets or 3 quads. He must have at least one Straight Flush. A player with 11 or more cards is still entitled to use a Mythical Card.

The dealer then places the top card of the deck face up on the table and the game begins.

Object: Players must attempt to make 3-of-a-kind, 4-of-a-kind and straight flushes (3-card min, 5 card max although obviously a 6-card sf would be split into 2 threes). A player is deemed to be "out" when he has no cards in his hand which do not fit into either a straight flush, a set or 4-of-a-kind.

The MYTHICAL Card: A "Mythical" card may be used to finish a players hand. If, for example, a player has 3 queens, 6,7,8,9,10 of hearts and 2 kings he may designate his Mythical card to be a King. This is an IMAGINARY card which is used as an eleventh card. All cards in the hand must be used in order to finish, whether with or without a Mythical Card.

Playing order: Players take it in turns going clockwise from the dealer to either take the top card off the deck or take the top card from the face up pile which is begun when the dealer exposes the first card.
    Note: Taking from the deck is known as "dipping"
    After a player has taken a card he must dispose of one card from his hand, or alternatively throw the card he has just taken. THROWING THE CARD SIGNALS THE END OF THE TURN. If a player throws and then declares himself to be out he must wait one rotation before the game ends.

Getting "Out": Once a player has completed his hand he declares himself to be out and lays his cards down on the table in sets, quads and straight flushes. He then, AND ONLY THEN, discards his final card.

Each other player must then place his cards on the table in sets, quads and straight flushes and the point total of each players remaining cards is used to determine the score.

NOTE: Each player, whether they are out or not, is allowed one, AND ONLY ONE, Mythical Card to use in their hand. This can be used when putting hands down to determine points to reduce points totals.

Calculating Points: The face value of each card is the equivalent value for points. Picture cards are all worth ten, as are aces. HOWEVER, Aces can only be used as low cards in your hand. Hence Q-K-A is NOT a Straight Flush while A-2-3 is.

Players designate prior to the game how much a point is worth. The most common structures are as follows:

50c Per Point, 1euro for the game, 2 euro for the Mythical
    50c Per Point, 2euro for the game, 5 euro for the Mythical
    1euro Per Point, 5 euro for the game, 10 euro for the Mythical

Therefore if a player has 15 remaining points in his hand he pays either 50c per point or whatever has been settled on.

If the player who is out has used a Mythical Card he does not receive the Mythical bonus, however if he does not use a Mythical Card he does. A PLAYER CANNOT RECEIVE BOTH A GAME AND MYTHICAL BONUS. A player indicates if he has not used a Mythical Card by declaring "bonus" when putting his hand down.

Mixing
    Any player, at any time, can call for a mix. This is where all players discard their hands and begin a new hand. In 3 or four way games the player who first asks for it must place the value of the Mythical Bonus into the pot while all others place the game value into the pot (i.e in a 50c/1euro/2euro game the player who asks for it puts in 2 while all others put in 1) This is called the "Mixing Pot" and is awarded to the winner of the next hand. There is never a mixing pot heads up.

Calling "Out" Incorrectly
    If a player calls himself out and places his cards on the table but is, in fact, not out, he must then leave his cards on the table and may only take face down cards from the deck and not from the discard pile until he is out or someone else is. He may change his hand around on the table. For example if he has 3h,3c,3s; 4h,4c,4s; 5h,5c,5s arranged as sets and has a loose King in his hand and dips the 6h the player may re-arrange his hand into 3 straight flushes if he wishes.

I hope this is enough to get many of you started. I know there are holes in my set of rules and I am sure they will be added to. If anyone does notice one PM me and I will edit this so as not to confuse anyone by having the rules spread out over a number of posts. Any comments or queries are welcome. Enjoy the game!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Good stuff. There may be one or two rules missing but I'll have a look tomorrow/later lol. I might do up a similiar thread for Mai Chung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Cool. Can we do one for Chinese Poker and Chow Tai Dee also?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

This is great stuff. Yet another game to get my gamboool on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

good man nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Always taught this was a game like Dungeons and Dragons :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

just one thing,

when calculating points isnt ace eleven?

apart from that - super, fair play

Ah now, this one is disputed. Last time I played with Norman he played Aces as ten but I have played with them as eleven also. I decided for simplicity's sake I would make it ten in these rules though I agree it should be eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Oscar and Sam were adamant that you couldnt change your hand once it was face down. i agree with your rule though, its stupid otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

aces are ten in any respectable game.

Well we used to play aces are eleven for about a year, and I actually think its a good thing. Adds a different edge to the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

personally I think it would be a great rule if aces were 15 but could be used for low and high. and straights carried through the ace.

I think Aces as 15 is a bit much. As far as changing your hand once it is on the table. As far as I am concerned the rule is that you are basically playing exactly the same way as if it was in your hand minus the option to take the top card from the face up pile. There are no other restrictions. For God's sake, you already are at a big enough disadvantage!

There are no other restrictions. For God's sake, you already are at a big enough disadvantage!
    QFT
    Marq wrote:
    personally I think it would be a great rule if aces were 15 but could be used for low and high. and straights carried through the ace.
    QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I think Aces as 15 is a bit much. As far as changing your hand once it is on the table. As far as I am concerned the rule is that you are basically playing exactly the same way as if it was in your hand minus the option to take the top card from the face up pile. There are no other restrictions. For God's sake, you already are at a big enough disadvantage!

You are at a disadvantage because of your own stupidity. As I said in the other thread this is a standard rule in rummy games where melding is allowed.

The variation of rummy I grew up playing Aces were 11 points and straights could carry through the Ace. If you were stuck with a joker in your hand it was worth 20 points.

bohsman wrote:
    You are at a disadvantage because of your own stupidity.
    this only affects beginners and i think is used to angel shoot them way to often...not pointing any elbows oscar...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Fair enough but its not all that complicated especially for people like Niall who play a lot of games. Oh and you deserve it aswell for that fantastic mix you managed to pull off. If Im playing a beginner I will let them off with most things, let them pick their hand back up etc but when its a 4-6 handed game played at decent stakes the rules should be followed, a person showing their hand changes the game completely.

OK I just checked the rule with the relevant authorities and the rule is that when you put your hand down accidentally you may NOT change your hand on the table. I'll amend the rule above but that is pretty much a unuversally agreed rule as far as I can see. Personally I disagree but c'est la vie

Quick question, when you say......"Any player, at any time, can call for a mix.".........does everybody then HAVE to mix, or is it only if everybody agrees?

Bit of a kick in the nads if you're very close to being out and someone says "mix" and you end up with air.

Edit: Anywhere you can play this online? Even for fun/no money?

No if someone offers a mix you will be given the option to accept or not, everyone must agree to a mix for it to happen

Yup, Cardshark is bang on. Players must, in order of play, agree or disagree to a mix. As soon as any player disagrees the mix dies. Some players use this to gauge other players hand strength.

You definitely cannot play it online but ask me anytime in the Jackpot and we'll have a game for low stakes and i'll run through any questions you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

You definitely cannot play it online but ask me anytime in the Jackpot and we'll have a game for low stakes and i'll run through any questions you have.

Always the hustler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭bottom feeder

this game looks very interesting as im always on the rails when the old school heads are playing. thanks for posting the rules might give it a bash...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Edit: Anywhere you can play this online? Even for fun/no money?
    I think I could make a very simple online version, maybe I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

this game looks very interesting as im always on the rails when the old school heads are playing. thanks for posting the rules might give it a bash...

SOB SOB I play it tooo :o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭bottom feeder

smurph wrote:
    SOB SOB I play it tooo :o:o
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 TOP_TOP

can anybody explain why in mythical aces are pointed as 10 when they can be played played as a low( value of 1)?(i.e. a,2,3 , 1,2,3).
    is this just ,plain and simple, the way it is? or is there meaning to it?

TOP_TOP wrote: »
    can anybody explain why in mythical aces are pointed as 10 when they can be played played as a low( value of 1)?(i.e. a,2,3 , 1,2,3).
    is this just ,plain and simple, the way it is? or is there meaning to it?

It makes them the most penalty heavy card in the deck along with a King because of their limited usefulness.

Mostly it's just a case of "them's the rules"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihadu

It makes them the most penalty heavy card in the deck along with a King because of their limited usefulness.

Mostly it's just a case of "them's the rules"

if the rules are wrong they should be changed

ihadu wrote: »
    if the rules are wrong they should be changed

The rules isn't wrong, it works fine, nobody is going to change them.

If you want another reason it is to make more high penalty cards to increase the profitability of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It does make the ace the most undesirable card in the deck (along with the King) because its worth at least the top points, and sometimes more as pointed out above, and also has limited use considering it caps one end of a straight meaning your outs are reduced when it is in play in your hand. The only plus side is that most people figure that out and tend to throw them early so you might be lucky enough to pick up a few but imho its too little for too much downside.

DeV.

Advertisement