Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

cson wrote: »
    Right looking for a little help nailing the specifics of a trip down but here is the story; flying into Stansted on Tuesday morning, should be in London Liverpool St by 10am and then the short tube hop to London Bridge where we're staying at the Hilton Tower Bridge for too nights back on Thursday flying mid afternoon from Gatwick so should have the morning free up to 12pm. It gives us pretty much all day Tuesday and Wednesday and then Thursday morning.

What I'm asking here is what/how much should I try to fit in? It's the Gf's first time there and I've a few idea's already; Grease at the West End, Tower of London and basically the bus tour for the rest. She wants to go shopping too so I'm guessing Oxford St will have to hit at some stage. Any other idea's?

And lastly; we're students so cash will be tight'ish - any good cheapie eats in the city?

Cheers! :)

You seem to have things well covered but will throw out a few suggestions of things you could do if you have the time.

I think your hotel is at Tower Bridge, so weather depending you could take a boat trip from here down to Westminster, good way to see some of the sights along the river.

London Eye: Has become a huge tourist attraction with spectacular views of the city and is well worth doing imo. Particularly romantic in the evening/night imo, since you are bringing the gf. Tube Station is Westminster
    or Embankment

http://www.londoneye.com/

Covent Garden: Always worth a visit for the street entertainment imo, plenty of restaurants and the Punch and Judy serve a nice pint, you can drink on the balcony and watch the street entertainment below. Covent Garden also has a number of quaint shops and other well known high street shops in the area. Tube Station is Covent Garden.

http://www.coventgardenlife.com/info/covent_garden.htm

From Covent Garden I would personally walk through Leicester Square into Piccadilly Circus and into Regent Street(plenty of shops on Regent Street, off Regent Street is Carnaby Street, couple of nice coffee shops which also do a reasonable lunch.

http://www.carnaby.co.uk/news/index.cfm

From Carnaby Street go back into Regent Street, continue walking to Oxford Circus, turn left into Oxford Street. The main store worth visiting in Oxford Street is Selfridges. Plenty of restaurants in Selfridges also.

If You are not walking, then tube station for Selfridges is Bond Street.

Harrods: Even if it is only for a look around, Harrods is a must imo, and at least have a coffee in one of the restaurants. Tube Station Knightsbridge

Kensington Palace: is in the grounds of Kensington Gardens(really nice park) and is where Princess Diana used to live. Tube Station High Street Kensington, leave by main tube entrance turn right 5-7 min walk you will see Kensington Gardens on your left.

http://www.hrp.org.uk/kensingtonPalace/

Link below shows some free things to do.

http://golondon.about.com/od/thingst...ree_London.htm

You already have some good things lined up and I suppose a lot will also depend on the weather, the bus tour will enable you to take in a good bit of stuff considering you are only there for 2.5 days, you don't want to overdo things or you will be shattered in the evening.

And of course don't forget The Emirates tour;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭cson

OPENROAD wrote: »
    And of course don't forget The Emirates tour;)

For the 3rd time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dts1

Any tips for places to go in London on New Years Eve ?
    Restaurant/late bar kinda thing is what we're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

We're flying to Luton in January. I know that you have to get a bus from the airport to Luton Parkway to get the train, but I can't work out that the story is on the ticketing front. Do you need to buy a ticket for the bus, do you buy your ticket to London (including the bus) in the airport, or what happens ?

Also, I presume (hope) there is no real queueing for the bus, is there ? It's just a shuttle that runs around and around and around, right . . .

Thanks,

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Bus to the station is free, fairly frequent and the stop is just to the left as you leave the terminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Hi
    Was planning to treat my other half to three nights in London from 30 December as a Christmas/birthday pressie in one.
    We have sworn never to fly with Ryanair again after a really bad experience with them.

However, looking at flying at normal hours with Aer Lingus and taking accommodation into account, it's looking at costing me over €900 before we do anything!

Does anyone know of anywhere reputable that offers good city breaks or can give advice, please?
    Thanks

Hi
    Was planning to treat my other half to three nights in London from 30 December as a Christmas/birthday pressie in one.
    We have sworn never to fly with Ryanair again after a really bad experience with them.

However, looking at flying at normal hours with Aer Lingus and taking accommodation into account, it's looking at costing me over €900 before we do anything!

Does anyone know of anywhere reputable that offers good city breaks or can give advice, please?
    Thanks

For flights check out www.flybmi.com, bmi fly into Heathrow. If not afraid you are stuck with Ryanair or you could try City Jet into London city airport.

For accomodation see my post below (post no93). Hope this helps.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60745677&highlight=kensington#post60745677

I'm not a big Ryanair fan - we're flying Ryanair to Luton as, like you, we would have ended up paying a huge amount with the others. I can handle Ryanair out of Dublin where there's no surprises (to date) and I've never seen hugely savage queues. However, on the way back we're going with City Jet - it's costing a fair whack more, but for sheer peace of mind and knowing we can check in online and just turn up at the airport without worrying about humungous queues for bag drop and humungous queues for security I think it's worth it.

We can spend the later part of the afternoon in Greenwich and just pop across to the airport knowing the trip through to departures is only going to be minutes.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

OPENROAD wrote: »
    For flights check out www.flybmi.com, bmi fly into Heathrow. If not afraid you are stuck with Ryanair or you could try City Jet into London city airport.

For accomodation see my post below (post no93). Hope this helps.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60745677&highlight=kensington#post60745677

Thanks Openroad - it would seem that trying to find a reasonably priced hotel in the west end is pointless on New Year's Eve night at this stage though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Howdy I'm getting a ryanair flight to England in a while. Just wondering which is the best to goto---gatwick, luton or stansted. I need to get to covent garden and i'm pulling my hair out trying to plan it.

Hope you can help, thanks

• Advertisement

I'm sure you are pulling your hair out.

Some hints might help - what time to be in Covent Garden, staying there or just visiting something, how many days, etc . . . all can have an impact.

z

Howdy I'm getting a ryanair flight to England in a while. Just wondering which is the best to goto---gatwick, luton or stansted. I need to get to covent garden and i'm pulling my hair out trying to plan it.

Hope you can help, thanks

Personally speaking, Gatwick.

If you go to Gatwick, take the Gatwick Express into Victoria Station. Take the underground from here, the Victoria line, one stop to Green Park. Change at Green park to the Piccadilly Line, 3 stops to Covent Garden.

Victoria station is quite close to Covent Garden depending on what time of the day it is, you could get a taxi, at a guess I would say you are looking at £10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Choosing an airport doesnt really have any significance UNLESS you plan on travelling to London on the same day as you need to be at Covent Garden.

Personally I'd advise against going to Covent Garden in preference for Holborn underground - it's only a 2-3 minute walk then to Covent Garden. The tube station at Covent Garden is awkward.

Fly to Stansted and take the Stansted Express to Liverpool Street then you walk about 40 yards to the underground station, take the central line (4 stops) to Holborn

In_tuition wrote: »
    Personally I'd advise against going to Covent Garden in preference for Holborn underground - it's only a 2-3 minute walk then to Covent Garden. The tube station at Covent Garden is awkward.

It is not too bad, though can get very busy particularly on a Saturday, they have a number of lifts though always finds it moves well, just make sure to have your ticket to hand as barriers are right outside the lift exit. and not much room on exit.

In_tuition wrote: »
    Fly to Stansted and take the Stansted Express to Liverpool Street then you walk about 40 yards to the underground station, take the central line (4 stops) to Holborn

Might be a good bet, to OP, both Stanstead and Gatwick are just as convenient, as In_tution says above, your only change here will be at Liverpool st, so one less change than Gatwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭cson

Anyone know of any reasonable place online that will do tickets for next week for a musical? Anything sub £50 per person would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

cson wrote: »
    Anyone know of any reasonable place online that will do tickets for next week for a musical? Anything sub £50 per person would be fantastic.

There's the booths in the West End that sell tickets wit up to 50% off for shows that day, i can't remember exactly what they're called but they're dotted all around the West End, there's 2 on Leicester Square

Here ya go, these are the guys i used when i was there

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/tkts/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I've bought tickets for the Chelsea Flower Show in May for my mum and will also be taking my 12 year old daughter. We fly to Heathrow early on the Thursday morning, will be there 3 nights (27th - 30th) and that's as far as I've got. Hotel-wise I've done a little research and am leaning towards Jurys Inn, Chelsea or Premier Inn Kensington Olympia.
    Our plans are flower show on the Friday and shopping, a show and afternoon tea on the other days - perhaps a bus tour??
    Any advice on the hotels or perhaps an alternative base would be appreciated. Our priorities are proximity to a decent tube station/connections and a nice hotel - we intend being out and about a bit so we don't need 5 star luxury.
    Any advice on travelcards would be very welcome too!!

I've bought tickets for the Chelsea Flower Show in May for my mum and will also be taking my 12 year old daughter. We fly to Heathrow early on the Thursday morning, will be there 3 nights (27th - 30th) and that's as far as I've got. Hotel-wise I've done a little research and am leaning towards Jurys Inn, Chelsea or Premier Inn Kensington Olympia.
    Our plans are flower show on the Friday and shopping, a show and afternoon tea on the other days - perhaps a bus tour??
    Any advice on the hotels or perhaps an alternative base would be appreciated. Our priorities are proximity to a decent tube station/connections and a nice hotel - we intend being out and about a bit so we don't need 5 star luxury.
    Any advice on travelcards would be very welcome too!!

For your base I would stick to the Kensington/Chelsea area.

I have mentioned the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum already in this thread, so I would check out there website, see below. I love this hotel and feel it offers excellent value, really nice restaurant for dinner, they also do nice coffee and snacks during the day,the location is also excellent. As you are flying into Heathrow you can take the tube directly to Gloucester Road(40mins), the hotel is just around the corner from tube station( 1minute walk).

Gloucester Road also has excellent connections with the Piccadilly Line to Harrods(Knightsbridge Tube station 2 stops). You also have the Circle and District lines. Gloucester Road has plenty of restaurants and coffee shops on your doorstep.

Gloucester Road is also a good base for the Chelsea Flower show, you will find plenty of people staying here who are going to it imo. Also tour bus stops near by.

Hotel rooms in London tend to be small, I am not sure that the Holiday Inn Ken Forum actually do three beds in a room, think it is either double bed and a sofa bed or two single beds and a sofa bed which you need to fold out at night, which does make things a bit tight at night, the room itself is a reasonable size imo. I would give them a call and mention that the room is for two adults and a child.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask or pm me

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/lonhi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Thanks OPENROAD, that's just what I was looking for. I'll check out the hotel you mentioned. Size of the room doesn't bother us at all once it's decent enough, clean and close to the tube station so we can get around. Having a nice resturant is a real bonus however! Thanks again!!

Thanks OPENROAD, that's just what I was looking for. I'll check out the hotel you mentioned. Size of the room doesn't bother us at all once it's decent enough, clean and close to the tube station so we can get around. Having a nice resturant is a real bonus however! Thanks again!!

No worries, hotel seems to have a second website with some more pictures/special offers etc...

http://www.hikensingtonforumhotel.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I'm looking at booking a flight from London Gatwick to Toulouse. But the flight is at 6"30 AM with Easy Jet- Does anyone know how I'd get to the airport from central London to catch that flight? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Gatwick trains run 24 hours from Victoria (well, did a year ago. Best double check).
    Victoria's on the edge of central london. Depending on where you're staying, could be walkable, otherwise there's plenty of buses and taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Train from Victoria to Gatwick. Either Southern Trains (much cheaper and only a couple of minutes longer) or the overpriced Gatwick Express which I would avoid unless there is no alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Hi. Not sure this is in the right section. I am travelling by Ryan Air to Stanstead and am just wondering what is the cheapest (without it taking 10 hours) from Stanstead to city centre. Thanks in advance

appleb wrote: »
    Hi. Not sure this is in the right section. I am travelling by Ryan Air to Stanstead and am just wondering what is the cheapest (without it taking 10 hours) from Stanstead to city centre. Thanks in advance

There's a train from Stansted Airport straight to London City Centre, feckin expensive though, that's why it may be cheaper to look at Aer Lingus to Heathrow and get the tube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Theres a Bus you can get from stanstead for around £9 Here

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

done this trip in november, took the train from Stansted. Had taken into account the advantage of flying with Aer Lingus to Heathrow but the differance in flight ticket price didn't outway the differance in train / tube fare. travel time is a bit less on the tube bit on the Stansted Express train, you travel in much better comfort and trains run every 15 minutes to/from Liverpool Street Station. Buy a return ticket when you arrive and its cheaper. Also, if its one way, you can buy the train ticket on board your ryanair flight, which is even cheaper again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Hey folks, will be heading over to Twickenham for the Leinster v London Irish game on the 23rd. Would be great if we could get some recommendations of where we could stay.
    We're flying into Heathrow on the red eye that morning and the game isn't till 6 so will have plenty of time. Would like somewhere handy for going out in London (not necessarily in the center) and again handy for hopping on a tube/train to get out to the stadium. Cheap and cheerful is the order of the day. boys nite out so clean room, good shower place to put yer head.

All advice greatly appreciated :)

Advertisement