Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal statement

Options
  • 13-04-2007 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi
    im thinking of applying for a PHd and 1 of the requirements is a "personal statement" -- that's all it asks for (i mean it doesn´t elaborate on "personal statement") ..

What should i talk about here ? myself ? educational history ? goals i want to achieve through this Phd .. ?

and has anyone any examples ? just for order etc..

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Is this for IRCSET, or for study in the states possibly or for a department based in Ireland? Taught or research?

It's quite unusual for departments to do this, as they usually tend to recruit students through an initial informal contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

its for research and the course is in IReland, the contact is after the student is selected (interviews)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Personal statements really are a grey area - on the one hand, in an ideal world they'd be personal statements, but unfortunately nowadays they're quite formulaic.

One thing i'd say is to really state your commitment to research, and make it clear that you have both short term (like doing things on time) and long term (like wanting to be a researcher in your own right) goals.

The other thing is to litter it with real-life examples. So you say you have initiative - what did you organise/do etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Might be worth getting onto the net and searching some american universities, jobs etc - they usually give great advice on personal statements as they're much more common over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

UCAS is another place to look - it is undergrad but you have to submit a personal statement to the colleges so they do give some advice iirc from my own lc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement