Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'P.S, I Love You' Trailer

Options
  • 20-09-2007 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭

If your Daddy's the Taoiseach, see what can get done for you!

I'm sure there's a couple of gals around the forum who adored the book. They laughed, they cried, they applauded Cecelia Ahern's writing while their other halves rolled their eyes while telling them go read 'The Dark Tower' to learn what a REAL book is!

Anyways, it stars Hilary Swank, Gerard Butler (with, without a doubt, the worst Irish accent i have EVER heard.. no lie! :eek:), James Marsters, Gina Gershon, Lisa Kudrow, Kathy Bates and Harry Connick Jr. Quite an impressive cast it must be said.

And it's released here and in the States on the same weekend - December 20th. Tim Burton's 'Sweeney Todd' is also out that weekend. Hmm, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say 'Sweeney Todd' or Will Smith's 'I Am Legend' (out the previous weekend) will absolutely crush it.

Anyways, enough rambling.. here's the trailer

(Hankies at the ready... for Hilary in her bra...

.. oh, you thought i meant have hankies ready cos it's an emotional and good-natured drama which tugs at the heart-strings. Ha..!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

basquille wrote:
    Gerard Butler (with, without a doubt, the worst Irish accent i have EVER heard.. no lie! :eek:)
    MY EARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS!! ARRRRRGHHH

I'm thinking folks, that Butler has what it takes to push Cruise out of top spot in the Worst Irish accent stakes. Never thought it possible :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OK the Oirishness factor of that trailer actually made me vomit a little.
    Why can't they just hire an Irish actor ffs - has anyone in America ever even heard what an actual Irish person sounds like?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

SofaKing wrote:
    MY EARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS!! ARRRRRGHHH

I'm thinking folks, that Butler has what it takes to push Cruise out of top spot in the Worst Irish accent stakes. Never thought it possible :eek:

Hold on now! Let's not say something we can't take back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Why can't they just hire an Irish actor ffs - has anyone in America ever even heard what an actual Irish person sounds like?

Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

Whoa that's a bad accent.

Why didn't he just use his Scottish accent or get an Irish actor.

That has to be up there with the worst.

I think the official list runs like:

Tom Cruise: Far & Away
    Tommy Lee Jones: Blown Away
    Kevin Spacey: Ordinary Decent Criminal
    Julia Roberts: Michael Collins
    Richard Gere: The Jackal

anyone els i'm missing?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm usually completely unable to tell a good accent from a bad accent, but my god, that is absolutely atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I think the official list runs like:

Tom Cruise: Far & Away
    Tommy Lee Jones: Blown Away
    Julia Roberts: Michael Collins
    Richard Gere: The Jackal

anyone els i'm missing?
    Brad Pitt's accent in a Harrison Ford movie, I think? That wasn't great either. And Sean Connery in The Untouchables.

Cate Blanchett's accent in Veronica Guerin is the best ive heard in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Ah sure begorrah I'm from Ireland, wheres me lucky charms

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

SofaKing wrote:
    Brad Pitt's accent in a Harrison Ford movie, I think? That wasn't great either.
    That would be 'The Devil's Own'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

god, that actually sent shivers down my spine of how bad the accent was. JESUS :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Horrible accent! :eek:

Film looks ****e too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Oh come on, it wasn't that bad.

P.s. I Am Kevin Spacey... (the new film from Cecelia Ahern.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Cool, I saw this being filmed outside DIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Nellie Mckay's in the trailer! whoo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Gina Gershon has a nice rack.

Not as nice as Jennifer Tilly.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

God, I couldn't even make it through the trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

that trailer hurts

Yep, woeful trailer!

Full of the most tired cliches...

"Oh, i'm in an embarassing situation. What would make this even more embarassing? Whoops, i've fallen off the stage. How embarassing.... gosh-golly!"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

that was fúcking awful.

Why can't they just get an irish person for the role? It's nearly always fúcking awful otherwise.

Cillian Murphy would of being decent.

Oh and Phoebe from friends is in it, great, I've never seen her be convincing in anything since friends.

That looks absolutly woeful. Butler has the amazing ability to be the best thing in a terrible film. After watching that I doubt even he will be able to save the film.

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote:
    Oh and Phoebe from friends is in it, great, I've never seen her be convincing in anything since friends.
    I thought she was good in 'The Opposite Of Sex'... very forgettable in everything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

That accent HAS to be a wind up :eek: FFS ! Its not as if there isnt any decent Irish actors available? Stuart Townsend would have been a shout no?

I couldnt watch that film as Id be just waiting for "Gerry" to say....buy my frosty lucky charms :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Its amazing what some people make money off!

What a pile if dog sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭StarryBud

I know they say Ireland is a nation full of begrudgers, but...

Cecilia Ahern is a terrible writer. Atrocious. Bereft of talent. Really not very good. This is proven by science.

Try leafing through one of her books for proof. Cliché is the order of the day along with extremely poor descriptions and awful dialogue.

I'm sure it's no coincidence that she had no hand in the screenplay.

Oh and Butler's accent is hilariously awful. Well to embarrass yourself, idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,675 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Appalling trailer,that film looks cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

At least
    he dies at the beginning, so his terrible accent won't be around for long, right? Or will it continue to exist as a voiceover from beyond the grave?

Yeesh, it's pretty bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gauge wrote:
    At least
    he dies at the beginning, so his terrible accent won't be around for long, right? Or will it continue to exist as a voiceover from beyond the grave?

Yeesh, it's pretty bad.

As far as the trailer and synopsis implies
    the recently deceased character leaves a number of letters to his wife - which I can imagine being read out in voiceover format

Please note I have no intention on either watching the film or reading the book to back up this theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

watch out for the hungry looking extras in the background :D

At least my girlfriend has a bit of sense... she watched the trailer and admitted it looks like cliché ridden horseshít!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Worst Irish accent ever - Anna Friel. Knocks Butler into a cocked hat.

Mike.

Advertisement