Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEBRA Ireland Wicklow mountains Half marathon

Options
  • 19-01-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭

Just got an e-mail about this bad boy. Looks interesting:

http://www.debraireland.org/marathon.html

21st March.

Regsitration is 20 quid but apparently theyre looking for everybody to raise at least 50 quid on top of that for the charity.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

From their blurb: "This race is like no other"...

It's very like the Wicklow Way Trail, held a few days later, cost €7;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

:) Yeah, that was the first thing that struck me when I read the blurb last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Is there interest from the Boards/IMRA community in organising a recce on this course early March to facilitate anyone considering doing either race?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Is there interest from the Boards/IMRA community in organising a recce on this course early March to facilitate anyone considering doing either race?

Great idea. Would be suitable too for those needing to recce legs 2,3,4, of the Wicklow Way relay in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

If we can find a date I would be up for that. Planning on doing the IMRA race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great idea. Would be suitable too for those needing to recce legs 2,3,4, of the Wicklow Way relay in June.

I'd be happy to do that recce. Lets hook up.

Decided to register for this during the week. Places were fast running out according to the DEBRA website. Any other boardsies doing it?

Anyone else get the email today with the new route.. completely different from last year. Still hilly, but net downhill to Laragh from above the Wicklow gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Husavik

Anyone else get the email today with the new route.. completely different from last year. Still hilly, but net downhill to Laragh from above the Wicklow gap.

Yes. I am bit disappointed by it. I was looking forward to the Wicklow way segment because it's more cross country and diverse. This route hugs the Wicklow gap road which I drive regularly.

I was told by a running shoe salesperson that the it would be ok to go in normal runners if you did not have the heavier trail runners . Do you think Slogger, that normal running shoes would be ok on this revised track?

The email said it was changed because the Laragh footbridge is damaged from recent bad weather. What recent bad weather? There were torrents of water from rapid snowmelt several weeks ago (when Arklow flooded) but apart from that it's hard to see what weather was really bad that we are only being told now.

The email says no litter. So do we carry our water all the way round?

To be honest I've become completely disenchanted by the whole thing - or is this just me having a whingefest!

I think the story about the bridge is only part of it. That is being repaired but it is near the end so a little detour at the end would have done the trick.

Trail shoes are the way to go. Regular runners won't give you the grip you need.

They'll have water at 2 stops during the race according to the blurp. Not sure if carrying water is compulsory due to that. I wasn't intending doing so at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Husavik

I think the story about the bridge is only part of it. That is being repaired but it is near the end so a little detour at the end would have done the trick.

Trail shoes are the way to go. Regular runners won't give you the grip you need.

They'll have water at 2 stops during the race according to the blurp. Not sure if carrying water is compulsory due to that. I wasn't intending doing so at least.

Cheers.

I'll probably have to drop it as I won't have time to break the new shoes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

From their blurb: "This race is like no other"...

It's very like the Wicklow Way Trail, held a few days later, cost €7;)

Where exactly do you see €7. All i can see is €20 plus €10 for non resistered racers. Would be interested in doing this but price is steep at €30?

You're correct, they upped the price to pay for buses to the start of the Trail race. The €10 membership fee entitles you to run any of the other imra races during the calender year- these are €7 per race.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Ultra is cheaper at only €15 (no requirement for a bus), so that's one way to save €5. :)

You're correct, they upped the price to pay for buses to the start of the Trail race. The €10 membership fee entitles you to run any of the other imra races during the calender year- these are €7 per race.

Ok, thanks. Have you any insight into this race? Done an INRA race in Newcastle Co Down last year and wouldn't mind doing another at this stage of the season. Would you recommend it? Are numbers limited?

dare2be wrote: »
    Ok, thanks. Have you any insight into this race? Done an INRA race in Newcastle Co Down last year and wouldn't mind doing another at this stage of the season. Would you recommend it? Are numbers limited?

Thread here about it, highly recommended.

Thread here about it, highly recommended.

Interesting reading, but maybe a bit too much for 1st mountain run in a year? I'll have to sleep on it

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Hi all,

I'm supposed to be doing this race however I have a bit of a transport problem. My friend was supposed to be doing the race with me however they had to pull out. I have no car and there is no public transport early enough for the race.
    I am coming from South Dublin, I was just wondering is there anyone who is driving from Dublin who might have a space?

Thanks,

Fitz :)

Brilliant running from Slogger Jogger to win todays DEBRA ireland Wicklow mountain half marathon, in a time of 1:40. Well done man, enjoy your moment in the sun!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Brilliant running from Slogger Jogger to win todays DEBRA ireland Wicklow mountain half marathon, in a time of 1:40. Well done man, enjoy your moment in the sun!:D
    Awesomeness!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fantastic SJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Well done SJ. Super stuff, just a training run for the Wicklow Way trail though I assume!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done Mick, just seen your post on FB - looking forward to the full report.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jcunniffe

Results for chipped runners are now up on redtagtiming.com.

J

Thanks guys. Race report on my training log here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65012996&postcount=150

Yep.. a training run for the trail.. which is a training run for the Connemarathon :D

Top 3. Fair play Rafael for hanging on in 3rd place.

All 1st 3 are imra afficonados.

Place Race No: Title First Name Surname Gender Start Finish
    1 136 Mr Mick Hanney Male 1 1:40:02
    2 80 Mr Andrew Hayes Male 1 1:41:04
    3 83 Mr Rafael Salazar Male 1 1:42:59

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Well done SJ! Always nice to get a race win.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Well done Mick! Excellent win and a great race report as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done SJ!

Advertisement