Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aprilia RST1000 Futura. Anyone had one or know anything about them?

Options
  • 01-02-2021 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,261 ✭✭✭✭

From reading about them they seem to be quite good. Reliability isn't much of an issue, decent build quality etc. Looks are subjective, I like it though.
    But has anyone had any experience with one and what do they think?

Choice is a VFR 750 or one of these. Something a bit different is always good imho.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Depending on what's been done to it to rectify the whole host of sheit that can, and most likely will go wrong, vs your ability to do the work, I'd advise you consider the purchase with caution.
    In saying that, if its had all the fixes and the unobtainable king bearing ain't shagged then they are reliable and seriously under rated machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,261 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Kinda what I expected to hear! I'll keep an eye out, vfr is currently the favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

vfr all day long, solid bike that will go forever without much trouble

I'd agree with that but if your are game and able then then the fut is a beaut.
    Re the VFR I'd go 800 for the better brakes and it seems roomier than the 750?

H_Lime wrote: »

750 is cooler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Fabio

VFR 750 is an excellent machine. Usual thing to watch out for is the charging system and the reg/rec. Budget to do those if not done already.

Suspension will probably be a little tired on them as well so budget for a refresh (doesn't have to cost the Earth, a pair of fork springs is about a hundred quid, new fork oil, new seals). Rear shock is not officially rebuildable but MCT and others in the UK can do it easily. That's about €200 or so. Drop the forks through the yokes by 5-10mm and it steers a good deal quicker.

Apart from that...make sure the chain adjuster mechanism is nice and free. If not you'll have to remove the wheel and open up the rear hub for a clean and grease. Not difficult, but time consuming. Only needs doing once every few years.

Exhaust downpipes were not stainless originally so keep an eye on those. If they've been replaced with a stainless system already then you're sorted.

I don't have any experience of the Futura but Aprilia stuff is generally good if you manage to sort the niggles, much like the ones I've described above for the VFR.

Best of luck, nice choice to have!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

Pre vtec 800 model is one to go for imho. 750fl (1990 - 1993) model is good but feels kind of dated. Ergos are ok but for my 5 10 frame a bit of a reach to the handlebars. Engine needs to be worked hard to get it to go but will get there. It is also carbed so if it sits for extended periods - not good. Fr model 1994 - 1997) ergos are too extreme for me but some swear that this is the vfr high watermark.
    800 (1998 - 2001) for me is the best of the bunch. Fuel injection, better wind protection/ more relaxed, touring orientated ergonomics and feels generally bigger. Put 25k miles on mine over 5 years and never missed a beat.
    If playing motorbike top trumps, not good. Its heavy with only 110 bhp but in the real world can keep up with most.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chalky024

I had a Futura for 2 years with no issues. Found it very comfortable with one of the best saddles I've ever sat on. The V twin engine was fantastic. There are some issues that I was aware at the time but thankfully not with mine. There are a few really good forums that you could check out before you make your decision such as..
    http://www.apriliafutura.co.uk/buying-guide/

@Cienciano...

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/aprilia-rst-1000-futuna/27156431

Futura for €1500. You can't go too far wrong there.

Looks like a fair bit of tidying up to do but for that money...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

^^ Warning.

What he doesn't say about the bike gives you all the info you need.

These models have documented problems any buyer needs to research - if the previous owner had attended to any you can be sure he'd be shouting about it loud and clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

MojoMaker wrote: »
    ^^ Warning.

These models have documented problems any buyer needs to research - if the previous owner had attended to any you can be sure he'd be shouting about it loud and clear.

If the Psycho badge on the tail wasn't enough - on a tourer ffs lol.

I'd probably end up with a vfr unless some unreal Futura came up here or Germany when I'm buying. Thanks for the info raven1, pre vtec 800 was the 800 I was told to go for but performance isn't an issue for me, I like the idea of the 750 better. All 3 versions of the 750 appeal. Nice RC24 on donedeal

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-vfr750-only-11k-kms-moto4u/25644277

• Registered Users Posts: 12,249 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'd probably end up with a vfr unless some unreal Futura came up here or Germany when I'm buying. Thanks for the info raven1, pre vtec 800 was the 800 I was told to go for but performance isn't an issue for me, I like the idea of the 750 better. All 3 versions of the 750 appeal. Nice RC24 on donedeal

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-vfr750-only-11k-kms-moto4u/25644277

Personally I prefer this version of the 750s.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-vfr750-1997/27138340

On the Futura's, usually a few €100 sorts the usual issues if not done already so probably could be factored into the haggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I prefer the RC36/2 as well, those NACA ducts just look great especially picked out like that in a different colour.

Thats a particularly nice example. I had one of these for 2 years and they're a fantastic (real world) bike. Obviously the charging system is the week point. Reg/rectifier sits behind the bodywork on the right (I think) under the saddle. I would check to see if it has been replaced. I got stranded on mine when it wasnt functioning properly and literally boiled the battery!
    Being a carbed bike, make sure it idles and revs cleanly. If it has been sitting for extended periods it may need carbs cleaned and balanced. When out of synch it sounds like a dry clutch Ducati at tick over.
    My old bike had a full motad exhaust replacement. I would check, if its on original downpipes and obviously check for any holes or blowing.
    If you decide to go for it, good luck. Unlikely you will see another one on the road...

Ok, the decision has been made and bike sourced. vfr750f rc36-2

Won't be in possession of it for a while, but deal is done. Thanks for the information lads :)

Won't be in possession of it for a while, but deal is done. Thanks for the information lads :)

Take a look for a VFRness. They're pretty much plug and play but they eliminate all of the charging system issues.

https://www.wiremybike.com/index.php?cPath=1_16&osCsid=038ad8e7648f13ef78450f0ca531bc7d

Fabio wrote: »
    Take a look for a VFRness. They're pretty much plug and play but they eliminate all of the charging system issues.

https://www.wiremybike.com/index.php?cPath=1_16&osCsid=038ad8e7648f13ef78450f0ca531bc7d

Mosfet reg/rec would be my first upgrade in addition to a handlebar mounted voltmeter...

raven41 wrote: »
    Mosfet reg/rec would be my first upgrade in addition to a handlebar mounted voltmeter...

Those are also useful but it's the wiring more than the R/R which is the actual root cause of VFR charging issues. The wiring is thinner, and more circuitous, than it should be, and combined with a lot of connectors which corrode in our weather, you've a perfect recipe for resistance in the circuit and that brings down the R/R then. The VFRness just beefs up the wires really to help avoid that stuff. That said, a Mosfet r/r is a great idea.

Sparkrite do a small LED voltmeter which can fit into the dash, it changes colour based on voltage. It's very neat and tidy. I fitted it into my VFR dashboard, next to the sidestand light I think it is.

Did this fall through Cien?

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    ^^ Warning.

Just to be clear - I wasn't the one selling that, I just spotted it and thought it might be of interest. Albeit with the caveats of it needing to be tidied.

blade1 wrote: »
    Did this fall through Cien?

Sort of! Lockdown fúcking up things, bike I want is in Netherlands, have someone to buy it but obviously can't with lockdown.
    I'm not in any rush as I'm moving house. In a temporary place with no garage and definitely don't want it till I'm settled in the new place. New house has a garage, but I can't move in for a while as building work is taking place. And of course due to lockdown, that's stopped too! So even if I had it, bike would be in storage.
    If something good value and clean comes up in Ireland I'd probably get it and put it in a mates house till I'm ready for it. You're sorry you asked now, end up getting a life story! But definitely going with the VFR 750

Sort of! Lockdown fúcking up things, bike I want is in Netherlands, have someone to buy it but obviously can't with lockdown.
    I'm not in any rush as I'm moving house. In a temporary place with no garage and definitely don't want it till I'm settled in the new place. New house has a garage, but I can't move in for a while as building work is taking place. And of course due to lockdown, that's stopped too! So even if I had it, bike would be in storage.
    If something good value and clean comes up in Ireland I'd probably get it and put it in a mates house till I'm ready for it. You're sorry you asked now, end up getting a life story! But definitely going with the VFR 750

Ah right, the reason I asked is because I assumed you were buying the one that was for sale in Cork which was taken down then but has popped up for sale again.

blade1 wrote: »
    Ah right, the reason I asked is because I assumed you were buying the one that was for sale in Cork which was taken down then but has popped up for sale again.

I did ask about the milage when he had it first, but too high for me.

Here's the 2 I was looking at:
    Germany and Netherlands

I'd rather buy in Ireland. There's an RC24 that looks good too.

Dutch one at a glance appears especially fresh, very impressive.

Yeah, dutch one looks good. I think the german one is actually clean just the lighting is terrible because he took the photos inside. It's a private sale and he has it in the vf750 section, I just happened to be looking at magnas and saw a few VFR's in there.

Yeah, dutch one looks good. I think the german one is actually clean just the lighting is terrible because he took the photos inside. It's a private sale and he has it in the vf750 section, I just happened to be looking at magnas and saw a few VFR's in there.

Yeah I'd have the horn for the Dutch one over the other myself. No amount of light or acf makes it that fresh, it appears to have been very well minded by the po since it rolled outa hamamatsu.
    If that's the price and condition of yokes you can expect from Joe foreign then maybe brexit ain't such a bad thing:pac:
    My bb is 6500miles from new and is similar condition to it, would like that parked next to it. Oe exhaust too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yeah I'd have the horn for the Dutch one over the other myself. No amount of light or acf makes it that fresh, it appears to have been very well minded by the po since it rolled outa hamamatsu.
    If that's the price and condition of yokes you can expect from Joe foreign then maybe brexit ain't such a bad thing:pac:
    My bb is 6500miles from new and is similar condition to it, would like that parked next to it. Oe exhaust too!

That is the condition of the good ones. A lot of bike fir the money.

My brother just imported a 20 Yr old camper from NL and it too was immaculate.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The German machines don't usually see a lot of winter action, they tend to accumulate mileage on dry roads rather than salty muck like the UK bikes.

• Advertisement

If a mid 90's bike has low milage it generally means it not used in all weather. Guy who buys abroad regularly reckons Germany is the best place, then netherlands. Italy and france not great. Benefit of bikes is being able to buy on the continent and not having to worry about what side the steering wheel is. Pity we don't drive on the same side, bought my last car in the UK, it's a good day going over to collect it.

Advertisement