Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sh1te

Options
  • 16-10-2020 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Rear wheel took a little slalom today on the r114 in s. Dublin. Road was absolutely smothered in stuff clearly coming from trucks in or out of Kilsaran quarry or depot or whatever.

Who, if anyone, is responsible for enforcement on this? Council or guards?

While I'm at it, our roads are also covered with industrial levels of cow ****e. Potentially letal but also just stinks. Am I the only one who hates that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Yea totally agree with yea how more riders don't come off there bikes is a miracle from lorries and tractors coming of site to the patch repair with loose clippings left all over the road and no one ever seems accountable for it .done alot of site work in the UK over the years and the local councils would hit you hard if you fouled the road and most sites had fellas on a pressure washer washing the wheels before they went back on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭goblin59

pretty sure you bring that up with your local council.
    I'd alert the garda though just so they can at least put out warning signs

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Breezin

goblin59 wrote: »
    pretty sure you bring that up with your local council.
    I'd alert the garda though just so they can at least put out warning signs

Thought about doing that, but it looks like a persistent problem, so theyre hardly unaware. A blind eye is being turned, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Breezin wrote: »
    Thought about doing that, but it looks like a persistent problem, so theyre hardly unaware. A blind eye is being turned, I'd say.

Report it to the council and they will deal with it. The Gardai ignore most of our laws being broken, the council will chase up businesses putting debris on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd also be making the truck company aware, h&s. Authorities, council as said, Gardai as said too.

I'm actually very surprised at how these have been getting away with such practices.

Not only dangerous on bikes but other vehicles too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Something as simple as this should be put on all exits especially farmland

https://www.roadplatehire.com.au/news/heavy-duty-rumble-grids

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Wicklow is covered in building sites and sh1t all over the roads no one gives a fook
    I have complained to Wicklow council but I might as well have complained to the dog
    They just don't give a monkeys
    Hope you have better luck with what ever council looks after the roads where you are but I would not hold my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wicklow is covered in building sites and sh1t all over the roads no one gives a fook
    I have complained to Wicklow council but I might as well have complained to the dog
    Hope you have better luck with what ever council looks after the roads where you are but I would not hold my breath

The site insurance company wouldn't be too happy I'm sure as if someone takes a spill they are liable, see many sites in Dublin where a sweeper was ran and a lot of times running when wasn't even bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Skryne/Dunsany area was very bad. Tonnes of soil pulled out into the roads by farmers. Very bad even by meath standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭blackbox

The site insurance company wouldn't be too happy I'm sure as if someone takes a spill they are liable, see many sites in Dublin where a sweeper was ran and a lot of times running when wasn't even bad.

Any professionally run building site will have wheel washing for trucks leaving the site.

Unfortunately, farmers seem to be oblivious of their responsibility.

• Advertisement

Interslice wrote: »
    Skryne/Dunsany area was very bad. Tonnes of soil pulled out into the roads by farmers. Very bad even by meath standards.

Even by Meath standards! :D

I think everywhere outside urban centres is affected by the ever-present cow sh1te. Apart from the danger to road users, I honestly don't understand how people in the countryside can live with it.

blackbox wrote: »

Unfortunately, farmers seem to be oblivious of their responsibility.

Like when none had BE licences to tow trailers they'll only change when they are forced to, unfortunately that'll require 2 wheelers crashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭goblin59

Del2005 wrote: »
    Like when none had BE licences to tow trailers they'll only change when they are forced to, unfortunately that'll require 2 wheelers crashing.

took ages to convince them to not let under 12s drive tractors on the road here.
    They still do though. Half the kids can't even see over the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Fabio

I drove (in the car) on a road yesterday which I could barely see tarmac on. A tractor had existed a field and had covered the road in mud. I'd have been in trouble had I been on the bike.

It's a disaster. How is it any different from littering or dumping? It's worse really but no enforcement at all.

Fabio wrote: »
    I drove (in the car) on a road yesterday which I could barely see tarmac on. A tractor had existed a field and had covered the road in mud. I'd have been in trouble had I been on the bike.

It's a disaster. How is it any different from littering or dumping? It's worse really but no enforcement at all.

If people don't report it then it'll stay the way it is, even if they don't action it if someone else crashes then they can chase up the council and the farmer for not fulfilling their duties. There was a thread in the cycling forum where someone had slid on gravel and crashed their bike, after a bit it turned out that their friend had a close shave in the same place the week before but never reported it so nothing was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I report diesel spills, trampolines etc. to the guards if I think its unsafe. They normally respond positively and I tell them that I'm on a motorbike to plant the seed so that they are considering vulnerable road users when deciding what to do.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If people don't report it then it'll stay the way it is, even if they don't action it if someone else crashes then they can chase up the council and the farmer for not fulfilling their duties. There was a thread in the cycling forum where someone had slid on gravel and crashed their bike, after a bit it turned out that their friend had a close shave in the same place the week before but never reported it so nothing was done.

OK. You've guilted me into it, so rather than whinge on the Internet I've reported it to the Garda. They said it was a council matter, so I also reported it to SDCC, who said they'd get back to me.

It's been a persistent issue there, so let's see if there's any movement on it.

However, even if this instance is addressed, the problem of dangerous substances being left on roads is a long-term, national one. Maybe the RSA, who are always on about the danger of motorcycling, could make a point of tackling offending industries and farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

OK. You've guilted me into it, so rather than whinge on the Internet I've reported it to the Garda. They said it was a council matter, so I also reported it to SDCC, who said they'd get back to me.

However, even if this instance is addressed, the problem of dangerous substances being left on roads is a long-term, national one. Maybe the RSA, who are always on about the danger of motorcycling, could make a point of offending industries and farmers.

Write a letter, the old fashioned kind made of paper.
    If you can print some pics of the area, do so and include them.
    I know that a paper letter has an inordinate effect on many govt departments as these stay on file and have to be responded to unlike emails which can get lost in the ether.
    I know it sounds like a lot of trouble for you but it may just provoke action especially in these times.

However, even if this instance is addressed, the problem of dangerous substances being left on roads is a long-term, national one. Maybe the RSA, who are always on about the danger of motorcycling, could make a point of offending industries and farmers.

It'll take a long time to stop people leaving crap on roads, but if it's not reported it definitely won't be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Rear wheel took a little slalom today on the r114 in s. Dublin. Road was absolutely smothered in stuff clearly coming from trucks in or out of Kilsaran quarry or depot or whatever.

Who, if anyone, is responsible for enforcement on this? Council or guards?

While I'm at it, our roads are also covered with industrial levels of cow ****e. Potentially letal but also just stinks. Am I the only one who hates that?

Council should be enforcing this. Whoever is causing the issue has a responsibility to ensure it's cleaned regularly. But they do try get away until it's highlighted. Garda have no interest unless it's one of the there riders that actually comes off! (See how quick the road gets cleaned then)

Some councils have forms that can be filled in to report these incidents but it's dependent on each one. MAG Ireland also use to ask for details to be reported to them too.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Well I remember calling the guards on 2 occasions on the way to work where there was fuel all over the road. On the way home there was sand down in the same spots. So somebody followed up.

zubair wrote: »
    Well I remember calling the guards on 2 occasions on the way to work where there was fuel all over the road. On the way home there was sand down in the same spots. So somebody followed up.

The guard I spoke with said they'd follow up if there was an extreme danger, and specifically mentioned a fuel spill or a clear danger to life and limb. He wasn't convinced that unspecified quarry material fitted that, and said the council would be responsible for enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

farmers are well aware of their responsibilities in this area and most will clear muck and debris when the job is finished. motorists should be aware on country
    roads in wet weather that soil etc are an unavoidable hazard at times and to show due caution . no one wants to dirty the roads here ,but life`s not perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I know the stretch of road outside Kilsaran you are on about OP and yeah it is a joke at times. It seems because bikers are a small minority some quarries dont even think of the dangers they are creating.

yeah there is a stack of quarries all along the n81 and some of the sh1te they bring on to the roads is unreal, in winter its like driving across an ice rink in some spots. Theres one quarry where I see a washer truck cleaning up outside which Im presuming the council are making them do it because I doubt they are doing it out of their own volition. What I dont get is why they dont just powerwash the wheels of these heavy construction trucks as they are leaving the site instead of employing a washer truck to clean up the sh1t when really all its doing is spreading it around.

PMU wrote: »
    farmers are well aware of their responsibilities in this area and most will clear muck and debris when the job is finished. motorists should be aware on country
    roads in wet weather that soil etc are an unavoidable hazard at times and to show due caution . no one wants to dirty the roads here ,but life`s not perfect

The hazards are not unavoidable. They are clearly present and persistent on many roads. And much more so than they used to be.

In spite of the RSA's example, many motorcyclists don't need to be preached at to take care on roads, wet or dry. Not all accidents are motorcyclists' fault. We are entitled to expect that quarries, builders and farmers are not allowed to make debris, muck and slurry something that is normal and that has to be lived with on the road, as you suggest.

Farmers have to farm, and I'm sure there are many who are conscientious about road safety. But that doesn't mean the others have a licence to leave lethal surprises around every other bend on public roads. If that's an extra burden, well, as you say, life is not perfect, but life and limb is more precious than the convenience of people leaving stuff on roads that doesn't belong there.

Apart from the clear dangers, and the unholy stink, I also object to having to ride through cow ****e, pesticides, fertiliser and who knows what else, and to have to clean it off my bike and my clothes later.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    I know the stretch of road outside Kilsaran you are on about OP and yeah it is a joke at times. It seems because bikers are a small minority some quarries dont even think of the dangers they are creating.

yeah there is a stack of quarries all along the n81 and some of the sh1te they bring on to the roads is unreal, in winter its like driving across an ice rink in some spots. Theres one quarry where I see a washer truck cleaning up outside which Im presuming the council are making them do it because I doubt they are doing it out of their own volition. What I dont get is why they dont just powerwash the wheels of these heavy construction trucks as they are leaving the site instead of employing a washer truck to clean up the sh1t when really all its doing is spreading it around.

You're right. It's endemic. I see some sites making an effort to clean trucks and surrounding areas, but the roads are just full of it. Even this morning in Loughlinstown I skidded on a bicycle, right beside an overtaking car, on a load of gravel dropped by a truck. There was nothing I could do about it because I was boxed in and if I pulled my brakes it would have made matters worse.

We hear these chilling stories of road fatalities on bikes and motorbikes all the time, usually with little detail, and we dutifully register our RIPs here. How many of them are due to crap left on the road surface by someone too busy to clean it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Farmers have to farm, and I'm sure there are many who are conscientious about road safety. But that doesn't mean the others have a licence to leave lethal surprises around every other bend on public roads.

Thats the crux of the issue. Over in the UK they take these things a lot more seriously and a farmer can face criminal charges for spreading muck across roads that ends up in a serious accident for a biker. I know they used to have serious problems with this in the Lake District area which is popular with bikers for its twisty roads but farmers were creating hazards all over the place and bikers losing lives or getting seriously injured. So they cracked down on it. Whereas here in Ireland the IFA are the strongest lobbying organisation bar none and there isnt a hope you would ever see a farmer face charges for endangering the lives of others

We hear these chilling stories of road fatalities on bikes and motorbikes all the time, usually with little detail, and we dutifully register our RIPs here. How many of them are due to crap left on the road surface by someone too busy to clean it up?

Have always thought that the details of fatal accidents on our roads should be on the public record. There are lessons to be learned for everyone if they know why an accident occurred in a certain spot so they can adjust their own driving behaviour to mitigate the dangers. Theres no need to publish names, just how the accident occured so others can learn from it and hopefully prevent the same happening again in the same location. You can never make roads 100% safe but informing the public on the details of fatalities would go so way to raising awareness of the dangers of certain locations where accidents are likely to happen.

This from two days ago (Facebook link) -- rider off due to road being covered in mud. Absolutely disgraceful, but no different from rural roads here.
    Official release from Whiteknights Communications:
    Whiteknights Yorkshire Blood Bikes regretfully announce that whilst delivering medication to a patient in the Filey area this morning, one of our Advanced Qualified volunteer riders was involved in an incident.
    Between 8:30 and 9am this morning in foggy weather conditions, our rider John, encounted a road treacherously covered in mud. This resulted in him losing control of the FJR1300 Yamaha Blood Bike and resulted in a crash.
    John was not seriously injured and is doing well. Our thanks go to Transit Motorcycles in York who came to our assistance offering recovery of the Blood Bike.
    We would like to express a word of caution to fellow motorcyclists to take care on rural roads that have been subject to heavy agricultural use in recent days.
    In the meantime we are seeking to have the repairs completed to our Blood Bike and to John’s riding equipment.
    If you feel like you would like to make a donation in support of getting us back on the road and operational in North Yorkshire again please visit our website and click on “make a donation”. Any contribution would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisement